PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Ameer Speed - Round 6 - #214 Overall

I'm not sure Mitchell and Speed are really competing for the same spot on ST. Mitchell is 260 pounds. Speed is 209. I would guess they're manning different layers of the kick coverage teams.
You are correct. My point was that if Speed makes the team, it will NOT affect position players, only special teamers.

For now, we have
Schooler
Slater
Board
Davis (back from IR)
Speed
Mitchell
Webb
===========
additional blocker: Montgomery (back from IR) was supposed to replace Bolden, who was missed in 2022

So what you're saying is that he's a mere speed guy and destined for special teams. Got it.

Hopefully Slater can teach the kid how to run down the field as fast as he can on kickoffs and watch the ball fly into the endzone for a touchback or run down the field as fast as he can on punts and watch the returner make a fair catch.
Why was Captain Stone’s entry taken down? He nailed it.

BTW, Slater probably should have retired. I think we’re going to see the old man slow down.

BTW, Slater probably should have retired. I think we’re going to see the old man slow down.
Mathew Slater's been a fine STer and is clearly one of Bill's favorites. I think Bill is pals with his dad or something.

I really like speed (the noun, not the player) a lot. It comes from a lifetime of seeing how much of an advantage it can be.

Mathew Slater's been a fine STer and is clearly one of Bill's favorites. I think Bill is pals with his dad or something.

I really like speed (the noun, not the player) a lot. It comes from a lifetime of seeing how much of an advantage it can be.

A fine special teamer? And then you have the audacity to imply that there is some nepotism there as well?

Slater is a 5-Time ALL-PRO for special teams. Considering he's NOT a kicker or punter, that's speaks volumes that he's much better than "FINE".

Speed is a verb. Unless it is a drug!

Speed is a verb. Unless it is a drug!
Thanks for clearing that up. You must have been very confused.

noun
1 - rapidity in moving, going, traveling, proceeding, or performing; swiftness; celerity: the speed of light; the speed of sound.
2 - relative rapidity in moving, going, etc.; rate of motion or progress: full speed ahead.

I don't believe I saw that post.

Maybe you didn't hear but Slater's a 5 time pro bowler. You pay players like that for as long as they want to play, unless they're a QB or TE.

A fine special teamer? And then you have the audacity to imply that there is some nepotism there as well?

Slater is a 5-Time ALL-PRO for special teams. Considering he's NOT a kicker or punter, that's speaks volumes that he's much better than "FINE".
Aren't Bill and Slater's dad friends? And you don't think there's nepotism on the Pats?

When I used the word fine it was because I feel like that's the proper word to describe what he's asked to do as a STer. Btw, I think a kicker's job is more important to the outcome of a game than a STer.

I'm getting 23 for him (10/11/99 DOB in multiple places). Listed with a 10.39 100m in HS, which might be the fastest in this entire class, but to his credit, he said it might've actually been closer to 10.5 because times were off a bit overall for that race. However, for his height 6'3.3" - same as DK, even that's impressive. Particularly small hands for a guy that size, and I wonder if that affects tackling. BB's probably looking for the potential heir for Slater (10.63 100m).

I like these late round flyers on these speedy CBs (IBolden 10.54 100m in HS at 6'2.2"). Sometimes it just takes the right teacher for it to finally click, and maybe one of them and therefore the Pats, can get lucky.

I wasn't paying attention to scouting before the last couple of years. How much of a project did y'all view UDFA speedster Jonathan Jones (10.63 same as Slater, 13.65 110H)? Good cover guy but too short? I might go through the archives to see what everyone thought.

These draft call videos always get me:

Imagine reading this post and feeling compelled to react, "I Don't Agree". Unbelievable.

And, of course, we all already know who it was.

Last edited:
PLEASE PLEASE someone explain why this JAG (Speedy) was selected instead of Nick Kuntz??

We are in desperate need of a developmental TE as both Henry and Gesicki's contracts are up next yer.
This selection seems like a no brainer. Jets got him.....bet he has a much more successful career than Speedy.

Maybe with your vast football acumen, you can explain why he wasn't selected by the Pats.

Fortunately for you, you weren't the one making the pick, otherwise you would've drafted whoever the **** "Nick Kuntz" is, while the guy in the video you posted is named "Zack". Can't even get the name right for the guy you're pissed we didn't draft.

****ing amateur.

I don't believe I saw that post.

Maybe you didn't hear but Slater's a 5 time pro bowler. You pay players like that for as long as they want to play, unless they're a QB or TE.
5 Time ALL-PRO. Which is different than being a Pro-Bowler (which he's a 10 time).

Aren't Bill and Slater's dad friends? And you don't think there's nepotism on the Pats?

When I used the word fine it was because I feel like that's the proper word to describe what he's asked to do as a STer. Btw, I think a kicker's job is more important to the outcome of a game than a STer.
Your reading comprehension is atrocious.
It doesn't matter that Bill and Jackie Slater are friends. Matt Slater has been considered one of the best special teams players of the last 10+ years. Do you REALLY want to get into all the players that BB hasn't added to the team despite knowing their father/family. The list is far far longer.

No where did I say that a Kicker/Punter job wasn't more important. In fact, I was saying that Kickers/Punters are more likely to be re-selected as All-Pro players than a Special Teamer like Slater.

Do you REALLY want to get into all the players that BB hasn't added to the team despite knowing their father/family. The list is far far longer.
I agree. At this point in his career, I feel like BB can be accused of being friends or having ties to nearly everyone in the NFL. Every year there’s new stories of guys he’s been associating with in the NFL and college ranks that I hadn’t read about before. The man is a ****ing legend and has done not only a lot of the game of football, but for a lot of players and coaches as well. Sure, you have a few that absolutely hate his guts. But compared to the many that admire him, it’s minimal. Also, not sure what is going on, but while typing in the white of the reply, it switched to the box as if I’m quoting you again. I keep trying to fix it but it’s not working. Sorry. >.>

Maybe with your vast football acumen, you can explain why he wasn't selected by the Pats.

Fortunately for you, you weren't the one making the pick, otherwise you would've drafted whoever the **** "Nick Kuntz" is, while the guy in the video you posted is named "Zack". Can't even get the name right for the guy you're pissed we didn't draft.

****ing amateur.
OK i made the horrendous mistake of getting his first name wrong. Your point is what???
All you can do is personal attacks because you can not discuss facts.
We can both put each other on block and end this pitiful sniping you so enjoy.

Last edited:
OK i made the horrendous mistake of getting his first name wrong. Your point is what???
All you can do is personal attacks because you can not discuss facts.
We can both put each other on block and end this pitiful sniping you so enjoy.

You've gotten MANY names wrong. It's not the first time.

Since when do YOU discuss facts? It's always your OPINION...

You are among the most knowledgeable posters on this board and you do invariably have your facts straight.

But you are also among the most negative, vindictive, constantly angry, disrespectful, insulting posters.

The negativity is not worth your knowledgeable and factual posts. Good luck to you

You are among the most knowledgeable posters on this board and you do invariably have your facts straight.

But you are also among the most negative, vindictive, constantly angry, disrespectful, insulting posters.

The negativity is not worth your knowledgeable and factual posts. Good luck to you
Not getting laid, being broke, and probably living with one’s mom will do that to a guy.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back