PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Almost The Same OL, Except For Much, Much Better Coaching

If Mac Jones can fall perfectly in our laps at 15, can it be possible that the same thing occurs with Broderick Jones at 14?

If Mac Jones can fall perfectly in our laps at 15, can it be possible that the same thing occurs with Broderick Jones at 14?
Yes, or another OT.

They could trade back again if the class is deep enough and find a stud OT.

But if Jones is their guy, I don't want them to get cute.

Did you bother to read up on WHY he wasn't with the Steelers? It's because he and their OC have different Offensive philosophies. Tomlin and Klemm acknowledged this and that's why Klemm was allowed to seek other employment. It had nothing to do with Klemm's competence as a O-Line coach.
I didn't know that... Helps put things in perspective

Does anyone know what happened to the Canadian Desjarlais? There was a good amount of talk about him at OG before last season’s TC.

UPDATE: He’s back to Canada
He could be back in the NFL next season, his only weakness as a rookie was weakness. He needed to get stronger in the upper body.

Any one high on Stueber making his presence felt this year?
No, not very high on him or Hines, the only thing they are is big. Neither is very athletic, poor draft picks IMO.

But they scored with Kody Russey in UDFA, he should be the swing interior lineman assuming health.

They need one guy who can play center and guard, he's that guy unless he spent the entire offseason eating Twinkies.

Yes, or another OT.

They could trade back again if the class is deep enough and find a stud OT.

But if Jones is their guy, I don't want them to get cute.
Mocks have Skoronski in the top 10.

We could wait, trade up or down and get one of the top 3, depending on how the draft is going.

I don't see us passing up someone named Jones. Johnson may also be there.

Mocks have Skoronski in the top 10.

We could wait, trade up or down and get one of the top 3, depending on how the draft is going.

I don't see us passing up someone named Jones. Johnson may also be there.
We need more Jones, I have all the Johnson I can handle already. :D

No, not very high on him or Hines, the only thing they are is big. Neither is very athletic, poor draft picks IMO.

But they scored with Kody Russey in UDFA, he should be the swing interior lineman assuming health.

They need one guy who can play center and guard, he's that guy unless he spent the entire offseason eating Twinkies.
Russey has played his entire career at C...or close to it. Hines is G.

Russey has played his entire career at C...or close to it. Hines is G.
If you can play center well, you can play guard. The opposite isn't necessarily true.

They always carry one swing interior guy who can play both, and a swing exterior guy who can play both tackle spots and also a little guard. I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong about Stueber or Hines... I could be wrong and have been in the past.

If you can play center well, you can play guard. The opposite isn't necessarily true.
Yeah...I buy that. I still think Strange could be a better fit at LT then LG. IMO he's Matt Light 2.0. If that were to happen then it might be easier to get a starting G via FA, trade or the draft. Stueber or Hines can backup. I don't want to continue with the musical chairs on the line like the past 2 seasons though.

Yeah...I buy that. I still think Strange could be a better fit at LT then LG. IMO he's Matt Light 2.0. If that were to happen then it might be easier to get a starting G via FA, trade or the draft. Stueber or Hines can backup. I don't want to continue with the musical chairs on the line like the past 2 seasons though.
Nah, I like Strange right where he is. His wingspan is better suited to guard, plus he's uber athletic and can get after it when he pulls.

I want them to draft one of these tackles in the first, let's lock up a beast on a rookie deal for the next 4-5 years.

Nah, I like Strange right where he is. His wingspan is better suited to guard, plus he's uber athletic and can get after it when he pulls.

I want them to draft one of these tackles in the first, let's lock up a beast on a rookie deal for the next 4-5 years.
Being uber athletic makes him a better fit for LT but I get your point.

Hines had a RAS score of 9.32 last year, 5th best of guards in the 2022 draft (Strange had the highest RAS score among guards). Hines is athletic.

Hines had a RAS score of 9.32 last year, 5th best of guards in the 2022 draft (Strange had the highest RAS score among guards). Hines is athletic.
I don't know what RAS is, but the only measurable of Hines that was good (not great) at was his 30.5" vertical leap. Besides that...

5.22 forty - nothing, 20 bench press - nothing, 108" Broad - nothing, 8.46 cone and 5.00 shuttle - nothing... what am I missing that you seem to be seeing?

Cole Strange 5.03 forty - good not great, 28" vertical - nothing, 31 bench reps - great, 120" Broad jump - great, 7.44 cone - good, 4.50 shuttle - great

Cole is athletic and strong, Hines is heavy but not athletic. Unless he simply tested poorly at everything, his vertical at least shows he has some burst.

Last edited:
I have high hopes in the ability of Kody Russey to play center. And center only.

I have some hope that Chasen Hines can develop into an adequate backup esp at RG if Onwenu misses time.

I expect nothing out of Steuber. I can only be pleasantly surprised by him.

We need a versatile veteran brought in who can play center and either guard like we had in Karras. I going to keep beating this drum, but when he left for Cincinnati Belichick decided we were good with James Ferentz in that role. What a mistake!

Max Scharping works for me.

Ferentz is a practice squad player. Meaning the back up to the backup. Nothing more.

Additionally, we need to bring in a modestly priced free agent tackle. McGlincey?

Then we have to draft a stud or near-stud OT, preferably able to play LT.

Keep Trent Brown. He’s not expensive for the position. Seriously consider moving him to RT unless Adrian Klemm can borrow Dante’s pixie dust and use it on Brown to elevate his LT play.

Don’t try to become something you’re not. The failed experiment to become an outside zone dominant running attack last preseason falls squarely on Belichick for allowing it to happen.

Last edited:
I don't know what RAS is, but the only measurable of Hines that was good (not great) at was his 30.5" vertical leap. Besides that...

5.22 forty - nothing, 20 bench press - nothing, 108" Broad - nothing, 8.46 cone and 5.00 shuttle - nothing... what am I missing that you seem to be seeing?

Cole Strange 5.03 forty - good not great, 28" vertical - nothing, 31 bench reps - great, 120" Broad jump - great, 7.44 cone - good, 4.50 shuttle - great

Cole is athletic and strong, Hines is heavy but not athletic. Unless he simply tested poorly at everything, his vertical at least shows he has some burst.
RAS is a comparison tool. It takes a player's stats from his pro day and compares it to the stats of other players who play the same position.

People are putting way too much into it's "grading".
Not sure where the claim he was a 9.32 comes from, but here is Hines Card:

ras.football

1678289240811.png

RAS is a comparison tool. It takes a player's stats from his pro day and compares it to the stats of other players who play the same position.

People are putting way too much into it's "grading".
Not sure where the claim he was a 9.32 comes from, but here is Hines Card:

ras.football

View attachment 50306
He was ranked higher based on incomplete combine data. His score dropped a ton with his poor bench, 3 cone, and shuttle at his pro day.

Ferentz is a practice squad player. Meaning the back up to the backup. Nothing more.

We've said this for years.

And, every year, it is Ferentz who is called from the bench after a few games.

I agree that we need an upgrade. Hopefully, Russey is it. I would rather have a potential starter at center on the bench.

Andrew Wylie with the Chiefs is a FA. He's started at RT and RG. IMO the Pats should make a run at him and then move T. Brown back to LT.

NO!!!

Trent Brown is no longer capable of quality LT play on a team that considers itself a PO contender... He's a RIGHT Tackle for the rest of his career, however long that might be...

I have high hopes in the ability of Kody Russey to play center. And center only.

I have some hope that Chasen Hines can develop into an adequate backup esp at RG if Onwenu misses time.

I expect nothing out of Steuber. I can only be pleasantly surprised by him.

Max Scharping works for me.

Pats could've had Scharping at the beginning of last season by merely claiming him on waivers ahead of Cincinnati... Yet another example of this FO being mentally checked-out almost Immediately after the draft.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back