PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Almost The Same OL, Except For Much, Much Better Coaching

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
McDermott replaces Wynn, Given his history with Klemm, that is probably a wash.

2023 OL
================
Starters: Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott
Backups: Hines, Cajuste, Russey
=================

Last edited:
McDermott replaces Wynn. Given his experience with Klemm, that may be a wash.
================
Backups: Hines, Cajuste, (Herron)
Practice Squad: Russey (was on PS and was elevated to the 53 man roster at times, with no reps))
=================
Theoretically, if we have a starter between McDermott and Cajuste, then we need to "replace" Herron, hopefully with a much better LT prospect.
=========
BOTTOM LINE
We need to draft a 2-3 OL's. That being said, with new coaching, we should see much improvement, even with existing personnel.

================
Practice Squad: Russey (was on PS and was elevated to the 53 man roster at times, with no reps))
=================
Theoretically, if we have a starter between McDermott and Cajuste, then we need to "replace" Herron, hopefully with a much better LT prospect.
=========
BOTTOM LINE
We need to draft a 2-3 OL's. That being said, with new coaching, we should see much improvement, even with existing personnel.
The backup C will be Russey...I believe he is capable. Hines is really a G.

================
=================
=========
BOTTOM LINE

One of these players is not actually on the team ... :whistle:

================
=================
=========
BOTTOM LINE
I'm confused. Did we resign Herron? Don't think so. Don't think there will be enough chairs for Cajuste. Maybe on practice squad, but someone else will likely give him a shot.

================
=================
No

================
=================
Would prefer a better option at RT... Who? no clue yet... Move McDermott to back up / swing tackle...
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

Anyone have any insight into Andrew Stueber? I know zip about the dude...

I'm confused. Did we resign Herron? Don't think so. Don't think there will be enough chairs for Cajuste. Maybe on practice squad, but someone else will likely give him a shot.
I'll fix. That was the 2022 OL. Herron was there and is not now.
The backup C will be Russey...I believe he is capable. Hines is really a G.
Hopefully. Of course, neither had any game snaps in 2022.

One of these players is not actually on the team ... :whistle:
the reason for the parentheses. In any case, I fixed the post. This should clarify the discussion going forward.

Would prefer a better option at RT... Who? no clue yet... Move McDermott to back up / swing tackle...
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

Anyone have any insight into Andrew Stueber? I know zip about the dude...

Agreed. Brown could be that RT, if we acquire a LT. Or, as you say, we can acquire a RT, perhaps early in the draft.

We need 2 starters for next year, a RT and a LT.

I said it last year and I'll say it again - this is not a good OL group.
Not a good group? Let us say that can draft our starting LT in the first round and a backup for next year in 3rd or 4th, and move Brown over to RT as soon as he is ready to start.

I really like Strange, Andrews and Onwenu. We should bring in someone to compete for the backup IOL positions.

And yes, I am fine with Brown in his last year, hopefully at RT.

By midseason, we should have
draftee, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Brown
with potential backups in McDermott, Hines, Russey, Cajuste, Steuber, and two other additions, an IOL and an OT.

Last edited:
Not a good group? Let us say that can draft our starting LT in the first round and a backup for next year in 3rd or 4th, and move Brown over to RT as soon as he is ready to start.

I really like Strange, Andrews and Onwenu. We should bring in someone to compete for the backup IOL positions.

And yes, I am fine with Brown in his last year, hopefully at RT.

By midseason, we should have
draftee, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Brown
with potential backups in McDermott, Hines, Russey, Cajuste, Steuber, and two other additions, an IOL and an OT.
Draft for LT, keep Brown if the tackle needs developmental time, if not, cut him

Sign free agent Kaleb McGary (Atl) and move him into your RT slot...

@One-If-By-Sea
based on what I have read, Oli sounds like a depth piece, not a starter... But no exhaustive analysis was made by me... just read a few articles... Reminds me of McDermott in that sense... adequate spot starter but full time? and if thats the case, i'd stick with what we have... Dance with the devil you know, and all that...

The essential question is whether they invest money or #14 in a high quality tackle. If that happens, the whole scenario changes. We should know within a couple of weeks after the draft.

From what I'm reading, there are three guys rated high enough to be worthy of going before #14. There are other needs for high quality players to round out a group, such as CB, WR, which have the same situation - 3 players worthy of being picked before #14. So this will probably be about which of those 9 players falls to #14, or similar. We'll be really lucky if it is more than one and the team has to make a positional choice., or if some player rated in the top 6 falls to #14 regardless of position.

McDermott is a backup swing tackle, a good player to have on your bench or as a spot starter.

They need to find a tackle in free agency, but more likely the draft.

If they find that stud OT, they'll have one of the better lines in the league with Obie fixing what was actually wrong with the offense.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back