PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All time QB rankings by Chris Simms

Please let us never forget this:

The point I was making, poorly perhaps (and further, I am certainly not defending Simms' list and have my own augmentations to it) is as follows.

There are two general flavors (IMHO, maybe even more) of what the "Who is the best QBs Ever" type conversation gets at for some people.

Someone could take the physical side of the equation as the more prominent side of it; namely things like big arm, accuracy, mobility etc in a "what attributes build the best QB". From that perspective, I don't think many would put TB very high.

The other side of the coin, which is where I think most people who invest a lot of time in this sport would argue from, is one must weigh things like winning/success, raising the performance of those around you, doing more with less and other less quantitative attributes, where TB shines above all others.

If I were building the "perfect QB" in a lab, there are probably no physical attributes of TB's that I would take to put into the recipe. I would take someone else's legs (Russell Wilson or LJax), someone else's arm (Pat Mahomes) , someone else's physical stature (Cam Newton) . Give me his mind, heart, fire and his "4 o'clock in the morning courage" however.

My point is probably laid out better using two other QBs on his list. Simms' ranks Terry Bradshaw above Roger Staubach; I'd place Roger over Terry, Simms presumably does so because of more titles.

Terry B to me is a modern day Eli Manning with a bit more Kobe Bryant killer instinct in him. Serviceable QB who can make some splash plays but how much of his success was because the Defense he had? Roger was Arod physically with balls to finish/comeback and leadership to boot.

As I’ve pointed out, Simms is an extreme idiot but still has the same general dumb “all-time” list as most people, including Florio, whereby they put a couple of pre-1980s QBs at around #s 9-10 to make it seem like they’ve actually researched it and it’s all-encompassing. Bradshaw over Staubach...lol

All these guys we are watching now, just wait in 20 years how they’ll get washed away as statistical fears keep rising. The lists will go like this:

Players 1-3
Brady
Montana
Best Player who played in 2020s-2030s

Players 4-8
All Players who played in the 2020s-2030s

Players 9-10
2 of Manning/Brees/Favre/Marino/Elway. The nod the “football history” showing they go way back to make these lists, while clearly knowing nothing about these QBs

I don't even have Rodgers in my top 5

Anyone that doesn't start with Brady, Manning, Marino and Montana in some kinda order is wacked.

You are just as ridiculous as Sims. LOL at Manning and Marino in your top 4, especially Marino.

Unitas and Staubach kicks their ass

I love Marino, but hes a fringe top 10 guy at best.

I feel like Marino gets more credit than deserved mainly because his career started on fire. He probably had the best first 5 years of any QB in history and was MVP in year 2 with a historic season. Problem with Marino is that he had peaked by age 26 and was never quite as dominant again. He was 8-10 in the post season and had few signature wins. Him and Montana were the Manning/Brady of their day for a while as Marino initially had the stats while Montana had the wins but once Marino's numbers started to deteriorate and Montana kept winning that argument ended for most. Great player, clearly a 1st ballot HOFer just does not deserve to be in discussions of best QBs ever in my opinion.

As I’ve pointed out, Simms is an extreme idiot but still has the same general dumb “all-time” list as most people, including Florio, whereby they put a couple of pre-1980s QBs at around #s 9-10 to make it seem like they’ve actually researched it and it’s all-encompassing. Bradshaw over Staubach...lol

All these guys we are watching now, just wait in 20 years how they’ll get washed away as statistical fears keep rising. The lists will go like this:

Players 1-3
Brady
Montana
Best Player who played in 2020s-2030s

Players 4-8
All Players who played in the 2020s-2030s

Players 9-10
2 of Manning/Brees/Favre/Marino/Elway. The nod the “football history” showing they go way back to make these lists, while clearly knowing nothing about these QBs

I know it's not a popular opinion, but Elway should remain on the list.

Who was the best receiver Elway ever had? None stand out.

The one year Elway was hurt, the Broncos won four games. He completely carried that team until TD.

Elway was clutch and had no chance in the Super Bowls he lost. His team wasn't close to good enough.

The one year Elway was hurt, the Broncos won four games. He completely carried that team until TD.

Elway was clutch and had no chance in the Super Bowls he lost. His team wasn't close to good enough.
Elway should be in the top 5. He dragged a bunch of bums to the postseason for years and when they finally got him a running game they got over the hump.

My top 5 would be:
Brady
Montana
Elway
Unitas
Staubach

Sure...I had Elway on both lists. My last post was referring to the comical formula people use for all-time lists and the absurd recency bias. Elway seems to have a huge love/hate factor on these rankings, more so than any other QB.

Elway is an interesting case. Was generally considered the 3rd best QB of his generation behind Montana and Marino. Did not put up great stats but was known for coming up huge in big moments (not always accurate as evidenced by first 3 Super Bowl blowouts) Did not play with a ton of talent on offense until late in his career but most of the Super Bowl teams were strong defensively. He was a winner and had a ton of signature late game moments so I have him in my top 10 (but closer to the bottom than top)

Elway should be in the top 5. He dragged a bunch of bums to the postseason for years and when they finally got him a running game they got over the hump.

My top 5 would be:
Brady
Montana
Elway
Unitas
Staubach

Thats a more accurate list than most.

Elway is an interesting case. Was generally considered the 3rd best QB of his generation behind Montana and Marino. Did not put up great stats but was known for coming up huge in big moments (not always accurate as evidenced by first 3 Super Bowl blowouts) Did not play with a ton of talent on offense until late in his career but most of the Super Bowl teams were strong defensively. He was a winner and had a ton of signature late game moments so I have him in my top 10 (but closer to the bottom than top)

He doesnt get enough credit for dragging those 80s Broncos teams to the Super Bowl.

Brees and Marino are the most overrated quarterbacks of all time. Outside of this forum, I routinely see both of them in people’s top 5

I haven't updated my list in about 2 seasons. Here is my current on off the top of my head. It only includes QBs who played in the SB era as any time before that it is way too hard to talk about. The game was so different and little film survives.

#1 Brady
#2 Montana
#3 Staubach
#4 Unitas
#5 Young
#6 Starr
#7 Brees
#8 Rodgers
#9 Elway
#10 Manning

The only changes i've made is with 2 more seasons I moved Brees and Rodgers up. This drop Elway and Peyton Manning a bit.

The only guys on my list I feel unsure about are Starr and Elway. I don't how if I should move them up or down or what. They just have certain issues that make it hard for me to pin them down compared to how i feel about the other guys. I could be talked into putting Elway over Rodgers. Being talked into putting him over Brees would be a little harder. The difference being Brees would do what he needed to win push come to shove. I don't think Rodgers feels that way. He wants to play his style and won't deviate from it. I don't see myself ever moving Rodgers higher unless he learns to be less selfish.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back