PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard - how is he doing in training camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sieglo

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I am not hearing much on Alfonso Dennard, who was supposed to be great late round draft value after falling considerably. Is he in camp? Any potential there?

I am not hearing much on Alfonso Dennard, who was supposed to be great late round draft value after falling considerably. Is he in camp? Any potential there?

He tweaked a hamstring the other day and has missed about three days of practice. I don't recall there being many reports about his performance, either positive or negative.

He's been out for a little while now, IIRC.

Some think that he will still make the squad as a developmental CB no matter what, while others feel that he is definitely on the bubble.

Hopefully he gets back out there asap and shows us something, or he may not be around after the cuts. I personally think he's safe as a developmental player unless someone really shows up as the 5th true CB here.

Dennard was injured early in camp and has sit out ever since.

He just won the gold medal for the exercise bike relay.

He just won the gold medal for the exercise bike relay.

Unfortunately, during his exercise bike victory lap, the chain broke and he got pissed; he then took his frustrations out on a security guard. Charges are pending.

He should at least make the PUP. The Patriots need his attitude and swagger. Besides they are bound to get some CB injuries.

He should at least make the PUP. The Patriots need his attitude and swagger. Besides they are bound to get some CB injuries.

No can do Fred. Once you practice you're not eligible for PUP. Where he may be headed is the PS. Between not showing too much and his pending legal issue (court in November) if he makes it through waivers it might be the best thing for him. They could also IR him if the hammy lingers...and he's amenable with a red shirt year. There is also an option to IR one player this season in season (has to be on the 53 week 1 though) who can return, but teams will likely want to save that option for a star who is lost for a # of weeks a few weeks in but they know could be back by or before playoffs.

No can do Fred. Once you practice you're not eligible for PUP. Where he may be headed is the PS. Between not showing too much and his pending legal issue (court in November) if he makes it through waivers it might be the best thing for him. They could also IR him if the hammy lingers...and he's amenable with a red shirt year. There is also an option to IR one player this season in season (has to be on the 53 week 1 though) who can return, but teams will likely want to save that option for a star who is lost for a # of weeks a few weeks in but they know could be back by or before playoffs.

I'm not too sure if he'd make it to the PS, Mo.

His legal issues really aren't too much in the big picture at all, and there would likely be someone willing to scoop him up.

I'm guessing IR may be the best bet, as you brought up.

Hopefully he gets back out there asap and shows us something, or he may not be around after the cuts. I personally think he's safe as a developmental player unless someone really shows up as the 5th true CB here.

I'm with you. My guess is the combo of Dennard's reportedly solid showing at minicamp and the light competition for the final CB slot win him a job, even if he's out for a while longer.

I'm with you. My guess is the combo of Dennard's reportedly solid showing at minicamp and the light competition for the final CB slot win him a job, even if he's out for a while longer.

The light competition for that 5th CB spot is a great point, patchick.

We'll have to see how it goes, as the next week or so should be a telling sign to point in one direction or the other. It's possible that he's an IR candidate and we need to possibly look elsewhere for that last corner guy this season.

Then again, maybe a guy like M.Williams could make some strides in the next few weeks, who knows? I doubt it'll be someone like Cole personally, but BB may feel otherwise.

Unless they keep Allen as the 5th CB, but from what I understand he's been primarily taking S snaps.

Last edited:

The Patriots need the attitude and swagger of a 7th round rookie. Interesting take.

The Patriots need the attitude and swagger of a 7th round rookie. Interesting take.

It's all about the SWAG, Andy...talent and scheme knowledge be damned :cool:

Andy, Andy, Andy. You and I both know first off that Dennard would've been a 3rd round pick, maybe even a 2nd if he didn't punch a cop. Think Aaron Hernandez here.

And FWIW, while he may not have been a rookie, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and He's provided much swag over the years. Don't judge swag on the round one has been drafted.

Why is meriweather a thug but Dennard is cool lol?

Because Dennard plays for us, Merriweather is on another team now.

Because Dennard plays for us, Merriweather is on another team now.

No even before he left the pats they still called him a thug.

One, to quote ex NWA rapper, now family fun pandering terrible comedian/actor ice cube, **** the police.

Two, merriweather had quite the history. Wasnt there some gun altercation in college? Stomping, generally being a me first, dangerously stupid thug. There is a fine line between crazy and thug. And from what I have gathered, Dennard sounds like a chippy, edgy, hot head. What DB isn't? The court case is a sham and the cop should be laughed out of court...

You all know that guy who just doesn't care how much bigger, faster, etc the other guy is? Why wouldn't he be the perfect db? You want them just waiting for the opportunity to make a receiver/rb feel their presence on the field. I want chippy, high energy, arrogant sons of *****es. Of course they need to follow direction and work as a team, but they need to be a little sick. I want the kid who gets up and gets in an ol's face after getting pancaked, who takes the time to remind the receiver that he just got lit up.
Merriweather was too crazy. Dennard may be too, who knows. Chung, perfect. Hell, pay of me thinks if McCourty child stop thinking and play with a chip on his shoulder, he would be all set. He seemed too timid last year.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dennard hasn't taken out one of his own players in an attempt to tackle the other guy yet.

Last edited:

A third round LOCK...potential second rounder...until teams over blew one freak incident just a few days before the draft. Where he assaulted a cop, un-uniformed, who grabbed him from behind after he got not an altercation with a civilian at a bar.

Heck, I got into a bar fight a year or so ago...JUDGE ME.

Before he tweaked a hammy reports were solid. Could keep him sidelined for 2-3 weeks but, unless something serious injury-wise happens or he steps a toe out of line (unlikely) he's a lock for me.

As for swagger and attitude, just go back and watch this guy at college. Vocal, aggressive, a leader in the secondary...something we lack a huge deal. He'll be competing for reps IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back