PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard - how is he doing in training camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A "third-round lock" with a genuine legal distraction who can't stay healthy in training camp is a good bet to be red-shirted.

I'm leaning ever more to the theory that the Pats go with 5 safeties, one of them Allen, and 4 CBs to start the season.

The counterargument, I guess, would be that is becoming more of a man coverage league ...

A "third-round lock" with a genuine legal distraction who can't stay healthy in training camp is a good bet to be red-shirted.

I'm leaning ever more to the theory that the Pats go with 5 safeties, one of them Allen, and 4 CBs to start the season.

The counterargument, I guess, would be that is becoming more of a man coverage league ...

That was my thought too. 4 CB's, 5 safeties, with 3 of the safeties being Allen, Gregory, and Wilson (all who can play some CB snaps).

I have 5 of each on my roster right now. IMO 4 CBs is awfully thin, given the high rate of injuries at that position. Plus the growth of nickel and dime defenses has left the whole league desperate for talent in the defensive backfield. I can't see a highly promising, dirt-cheap young DB going from "lock" to discard just because of missing some camp practices with injury.

(As for the whole "red-shirt" idea...he'll be IR'ed if he has a pretty significant injury, period. Talented rookies are never deprived of their super-important first season of development if the team can help it.)

I have 5 of each on my roster right now. IMO 4 CBs is awfully thin, given the high rate of injuries at that position. Plus the growth of nickel and dime defenses has left the whole league desperate for talent in the defensive backfield. I can't see a highly promising, dirt-cheap young DB going from "lock" to discard just because of missing some camp practices with injury.

(As for the whole "red-shirt" idea...he'll be IR'ed if he has a pretty significant injury, period. Talented rookies are never deprived of their super-important first season of development if the team can help it.)

That's a reasonable approach. If your usually play 5 of something and sometimes 6, you may not want to go into the season with only 9 total.

But what have we learned about him since the draft that indicates he was greatly underdrafted in the 7th round. Clarification on the legal situation? I guess I see that. Evidence on the field? I'm less clear on that part.

That's a reasonable approach. If your usually play 5 of something and sometimes 6, you may not want to go into the season with only 9 total.

But what have we learned about him since the draft that indicates he was greatly underdrafted in the 7th round. Clarification on the legal situation? I guess I see that. Evidence on the field? I'm less clear on that part.

Very fair question. At this point, all we really have to go on is minicamp and OTA reports, which are always sketchy. But they were positive enough for me to give Dennard the benefit of the doubt for now. E.g.:

Heading into minicamp, virtually everyone knew that rookie cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was more talented than the seventh round tag would suggest. While he's still in the process of cleaning up his off-the-field issues, he proved during OTA's and minicamp that he is a physical, talented cornerback who could even compete for snaps as a rookie.
Patriots Minicamp Concluded: Highlighting Five Standouts - Pats Pulpit

Lots of guys make impressions in shorts and shells in mini camps and OTA's. Who annointed Dennard a lock based on that?

Anyone who claimed Dennard on waivers would have to commit a 53 man roster spot to him. After not being willing to commit a 7th or better to him in April. While processing the fact that Belichick wasn't willing to. For every talented player a team gets a day three pick for at cutdown or every borderline on a loaded roster player who doesn't make it through waivers to a potential PS slot, there are a hundred guys who do.

Lots of guys make impressions in shorts and shells in mini camps and OTA's. Who annointed Dennard a lock based on that?

Anyone who claimed Dennard on waivers would have to commit a 53 man roster spot to him. After not being willing to commit a 7th or better to him in April. While processing the fact that Belichick wasn't willing to. For every talented player a team gets a day three pick for at cutdown or every borderline on a loaded roster player who doesn't make it through waivers to a potential PS slot, there are a hundred guys who do.

So Mo, are you comfortable with 4 CBs? If not, who's your 5th?

I'm not too sure if he'd make it to the PS, Mo.

His legal issues really aren't too much in the big picture at all, and there would likely be someone willing to scoop him up.

I'm guessing IR may be the best bet, as you brought up.

He fell to the 7th round in the draft due to poor performance at the senior bowl, a lingering injury, and his pending legal issues. He hasn't done anything yet to dispell any of those concerns, so I would be mildly surprised if he didnt make it to the PS, which is where I think he's headed. He's pretty far behind everyone else, at this point, and as a rookie he can't really afford that.

At the moment, I see McCourty, Dowling, Moore, Arrington, and Allen as our cornerbacks, with Allen likely taking snaps at both CB and S. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots add a cutdown casualty from another team, either, and in the likely event that Dennard makes it to the PS he could be promoted if injuries forced him into action.

Last edited:
A third round LOCK...potential second rounder...until teams over blew one freak incident just a few days before the draft. Where he assaulted a cop, un-uniformed, who grabbed him from behind after he got not an altercation with a civilian at a bar.

Heck, I got into a bar fight a year or so ago...JUDGE ME.

Before he tweaked a hammy reports were solid. Could keep him sidelined for 2-3 weeks but, unless something serious injury-wise happens or he steps a toe out of line (unlikely) he's a lock for me.

As for swagger and attitude, just go back and watch this guy at college. Vocal, aggressive, a leader in the secondary...something we lack a huge deal. He'll be competing for reps IMO.

Yeah, but you're British. That's like a national sport to you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes