Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will Gronk be for the 2019 season?

• On another team after being cut for contract reasons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will be worth the $9M next year, given how important his blocking was this past year, particularly if they end up using someone on a rookie contract at LT. My prediction is that there is very little, if any, salary adjustment request from the Pats, and that non action is invitational enough to keep him around for another year.
what do you mean with will be worth the 9 million? His caphit is higher than 9 million

I think he plays. Has a good shot at back2back again and when he healed just in time for last 2 games of reg season and Playoffs he was a dominant contributor as a clutch receiver and more importantly was used as an excellent blocker for running game. Brady in his ear, One More Gronk!

I think he is back.

The longer he delays his decision, the more that means he is staying. Although everyone is different, I just retired and could have stayed 7 more years. The year before I retired I had the We’ll See attitude when people asked. I stayed the extra year. The next year I knew it was time and made a quick and confident decision. You know when it is time before the time comes. The delay may be contract related which could change his decision. If the numbers work for him he will be back

Too bad he has an agent. Otherwise, the pay cut negotiation would be easy...

" Will you come back for 7.5 million? "

"Gronk say no."

"How about 6.9?"

" Deal! "

In the early 1990s, Cleveland coach Bill Belichick made a big decision when it came to the health and maintenance of his productive — but battered — tight end. Mark Bavaro, who had accumulated terrific numbers over the course of his career and been a big part of multiple Super Bowl winners, was slowly breaking down because of physical issues. It was decided he would have a limited practice schedule, with an eye toward keeping him fresh for Sundays. Now, more than 20 years later, Belichick could be faced with a similar decision.
Mark Bavaro: Belichick curtailed practices to extend my career, and he should do same for Gronk | Boston Sports Journal

what do you mean with will be worth the 9 million? His caphit is higher than 9 million

I was referring to what Miguel has on his page for Gronk's cost if they keep him. There's $2M in dead money if they let him go, so for our purposes in this conversation that money doesn't count.

I thought he was done for sure most of the year, but there’s a huge emotional element and I think that brings Gronk back a year. He’s making bank and having fun and can make a run at another title, why not play another year? Yeah I know he’s beaten up, but there’s a lot of reason to keep cashing that check and keep winning.

If his back is back he'll be back. Nothing worse than a bad back.

Poll results above seem pretty conclusive to me :)

I say change his role where he runs fewer routes but blocks more, which should reduce his injury risk. This is sort of what they were doing this year but it seemed like it was to protect him; now have it be a bit more formal. Run him out catch passes every so often to keep the threat there, but just reduce the overall number of times that he's exposed to huge hits when he's running after the catch. But he's an all time great blocking tight-end so take advantage of that too.

Keep him healthy for the playoffs when you can 'let him out of the garage' as has been said and watch him make catches that win championships like he did against the Chiefs and Rams.

Restructure his contract to reflect this new role, reduce his practice time (nice note about the Bavaro precedent above) as part of that too. I'm no capologist so I don't know how far that can go but let's see what we can do.

The man wants to keep playing football, for the Patriots, with the GOAT, but is worried about his health. Let's let him play, change his responsibilities to protect his body, and pay him accordingly. This can all be worked out.

His cap hit is irrelevant. All that matters is avoidable cost, his salary.

Maybe he "retires", stays in peak shape, and decides to come back late November/early December for one last playoff run.
he’d only get half a ring if they win the SB

Since when do 29 year old players need to set a date in order to announce whether they are going to play each year? I honestly think this is just posturing in the event the team tries to renegotiate. Im sure Gronks camp is anticipating it and wants to create some leverage.

I hope he’s back. Gronk, even if he’s “slowed down”, still has a lot of value. His blocking is still great, attitude is infectious, hands still good, still commands the double team and most importantly knows the offense and is on the same page with Brady. That is worth a few million more.

In his prime, Bavaro was the 2nd greatest te in history, after Gronk ,of course. Played all-out,all the time.
Great receiver, great blocker.
If Bavaro hadnt gotten so beaten up by his balls to the wall style, he would be consideter the #2 te all time.
But guys like Tony G, Gates, had more longevity and better #'s.
But they weren't better.
Bavaro was a little like Bo Jackson in that regard.
Bo was the 2nd best rb I've ever seen , after Jim Brown. But he played rb like Bavaro played te.

I think he'll be back. He doesn't want to retire on this year, especially if healthy now.

NFL accounting gurus, I never cared, but our window actually will be closing. How much can you restructure and push a cap hell year down the road? We only have a handful of big contracts, the rest of our FAs, are marginal players. They could end up like 2001, with mostly draft picks and street FAs after Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes