Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will Gronk be for the 2019 season?

• On another team after being cut for contract reasons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Rosenhaus is saying that Gronk's retire-or-not decision is "expected" in a couple of weeks.

So what do you think Gronk's ultimate fate will be for the 2019 season? I think he will be retired, but will be retired not because he doesn't want to play football at all, but rather because I think he will refuse to take the paycut NE will demand he take, and rather than be cut and play with not-Brady will instead retire.

Please answer with what you think will happen, not what you want to happen.

I'm guessing he'll probably retire, but that's just a coin toss at this point. Either way, they need to plan some contingencies and head into their offseason assuming that he won't be a part of the team. If he is? Even better.

I think he retires.

How much cap does this free up again? 10 mill?

Retires because BB ain't gonna pay THAT much for 2019 Gronk.
I'm sad but OK with this especially since he went out winning another Lombardi for us.

I'm guessing he'll probably retire, but that's just a coin toss at this point. Either way, they need to plan some contingencies and head into their offseason assuming that he won't be a part of the team. If he is? Even better.

Agreed. The good news is: We know for a fact this offense can succeed (even thrive) with two really good TE's as the center pieces. So if we sign/draft a guy in case Gronk retires or isn't the same, and it turns out he's back and still on top? We've got a great blueprint for how to dominate with two top guys. Perhaps even more so now that we've got some good backs.

Maybe he "retires", stays in peak shape, and decides to come back late November/early December for one last playoff run.

I think he comes back for one more year but that is predicated on some sort of contract compromise.

Honestly I think if he breaks tackles and barrels into the endzone heroically it's too much of a storybook ending for him to not walk away, as weird as that sounds.

He's back. Pats want some cash back and might squeeze him into retirement but I think they come to an agreement.

I also think he's back for one more year.

He’s coming back. He’s been getting treatment at the facility over the past few weeks.

It sure seemed like the Achilles injury was leaked during Super Bowl week to make it clear that he hasn’t permanently been reduced to the speed of a 69-year-old. He looked a lot better once that healed up.

I think he will be worth the $9M next year, given how important his blocking was this past year, particularly if they end up using someone on a rookie contract at LT. My prediction is that there is very little, if any, salary adjustment request from the Pats, and that non action is invitational enough to keep him around for another year.

I think he stays. The way they use him sparingly for crucial moments and utilize his superb blocking otherwise makes him worth it. The guy is great in the clutch.

I'm thinking there's a restructure masquerading as an extension that guarantees his cash but spreads out the hit over 'dummy' years and perhaps drops in makeable incentives that read as NLTB in the shadow of this past season, or something equally creative

I think he stays in a reduced role and the Pats draft a TE in the 1st round.

I think he stays ... Belichick crafts a lightened load schedule for him.
Less practice and less play vs easier teams and ease of early season play.
A reworked contract that is mostly base pay with little stress to achieve objectives.

Gronk doesn't need incentives to play 110% - he never has needed that - he's always full out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back