PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After October, how confident are you that Mac Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you Mac Jones can lead this team for 5 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still would have rather had Lawrence if he was available which obviously he wasn't - but I think Mac has proven the thought that he was the most polished and NFL-ready QB to be correct.

Whether he is our Alex Smith or someone more is still TBD.

Would have been fun to see Mac get OROY. Gonna be tough unless Chase gets hurt and is out for a period of time.

Chase right now might even be on the brink of joining the league MVP conversation…

clayton keller hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

10/10…He is so much the guy that I don’t think we need to worry about it anymore. Let’s start worrying about ways to build around our guy. Get our guy some protection (keep your minds out of the gutter) and a #1 target. That should be the new worry.
Other things SEEM to be falling into place, but 1) I agree, he's the dude, and 2) that right there is the 1 hugest question we had to answer this year. It would be a beautiful thing to add a great run to it this year, at least to the playoffs.

I'd feel good if he now beat Buffalo twice and proceeded to lead us deep into the playoffs, but I don't want to get greedy. Yet.

As far as rookie seasons go I honestly think he's beyond what we could have hoped for.
Completely agree. Sure sometimes you have a Dak, Big Ben, or Russell Wilson scenario, but as far as this year goes I chalked it up as a losing season but we'd at least witness the beginning of the qb development process.

Would have been fun to see Mac get OROY. Gonna be tough unless Chase gets hurt and is out for a period of time.

Chase right now might even be on the brink of joining the league MVP conversation…
Rookie of the years usually do go to QB's though but Mac's stats are not so over the top that its a no brainer.

deleted, wrong thread

Last edited:
Mac is going to be asked to win a game with his arm. He might have to if our RB's are banged up.

Might as well open up the playbook and see if he can do that.

Last edited:
Mac is going to be asked to win a game with his arm. He might have to if our RB's are banged up.

Might as well open up the playbook and see if he can do that.
He's done enough to keep the Pats in nearly every game (not counting the Saints).

He's done enough to keep the Pats in nearly every game (not counting the Saints).

Mac Jones has been a phenomenal rookie. As ideal as one could hope for. The crappy OLine wasn't his fault and also winning 3 in a row without gaudy stats is absolutely still phenomenal.

Jones is the QB I wanted the Patriots to draft. But my opinion of Jones hasn't improved by much this season since I already had fairly high expectations. I would rank him 8 out 10 which is where I would have put him before seeing him play a snap in the NFL.

He just needs modest improvement from where he is right now to be a very good starter on his rookie contract. If the Patriots had Cam Newton starting this year, the team would have at least one more win. So I don't think Jones has been that responsible for the Patriots success this season but Jones has shown Belichick was right to name Mac Jones the starter. Jones should continue to get better while Cam even if he has a good half season this year with a mediocre team is going to decline with age given he relies so much on his legs.

Jones is the QB I wanted the Patriots to draft. But my opinion of Jones hasn't improved by much this season since I already had fairly high expectations. I would rank him 8 out 10 which is where I would have put him before seeing him play a snap in the NFL.

He just needs modest improvement from where he is right now to be a very good starter on his rookie contract. If the Patriots had Cam Newton starting this year, the team would have at least one more win. So I don't think Jones has been that responsible for the Patriots success this season but Jones has shown Belichick was right to name Mac Jones the starter. Jones should continue to get better while Cam even if he has a good half season this year with a mediocre team is going to decline with age given he relies so much on his legs.
"One more win" with Cam? Probably from all those touchdown passes he threw to tight ends last year.

"One more win" with Cam? Probably from all those touchdown passes he threw to tight ends last year.
It could be 2 more wins. Patriots have lost some games in which Cam's running ability would have opened things up for the receivers. Those tight ends were rookies and were so impressive at getting open and staying healthy, that Bill Belichick spent a ton of money on 2 high priced veteran tight ends and 1 fairly high priced receiver and another modestly priced receiver.

Cam was not a problem last year but Belichick knew he wasn't the medium to long term answer so he went hunting for quarterback in the draft. Team went 7-8 with Cam despite possibly having the worst skill position players in the entire NFL when it came to tight ends/receivers and a good offensive line.

Jones is benefitting from the biggest FA spending spree in Patriots history and some players returning from taking the year off from covid. Cam was still saddled with the Patriots having to right their cap from Belichick trying to win it all in the last few years of Brady.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back