Votes: 9 10.8%
  • keeping all 3: Keionta, Crossen, JC

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • no trade in

Votes: 9 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep repeating yourself over and over. You indicate Patterson is just a "name" and will most likely be useless. However, everything he has done has been solid 3rd WR material most of his career. And, he did it with two mediocre QBs in two different years. On top of being the 2nd best return man ever. You would think in a good system with the GOAT he can at least duplicate this - which was far from useless.

Not that I expect anything anyone says to you to change you. Maybe if you researched things more and thought a bit you would not come off like such a stupid crybaby.
He can't be changed. I've tried.

I think his concern, as is mine is Patterson doesn't create a lot of separation in his routes and is unproven in this offense.

I love his explosiveness but I'd rather have DA.

We'll see.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree. While the NFL may end up with the cream of the crop, I don't think the crop is that bright. The coaching profession or even personnel profession seems not to draw high-level thinkers. Some of these guys are just true idiots. Like, watch them on Hard Knocks. They're morons, and, worse, they're morons who are coddled by a work environment that rewards their stupidity. It makes sense. A lot of them are former players who just do things in a certain way because that's just the way things are done. Small innovations are hailed as the works of unparalleled genius or else lunacy.

It makes sense. For the vast majority of people involved, sports is a professional field where pay and labor standards are completely deplorable. Even in the NFL, many assistant coaches, scouts, and so on are paid like **** and live ****ty lives. Who would willingly sign up for that? Not very many intelligent people. I find it difficult to believe there aren't a lot of amateurs who could run a team better than many head coaches, scouts, and GMs out there, but they're amateurs because their 9-5 job pays better and lets them live lives that don't suck a lot.

I guess I’m pretty dumb. I think playbooks and technique can be pretty hard to master. It look like a lot of work to me and it takes a long time to do well.

I think his concern, as is mine is Patterson doesn't generate a lot of separation in his routes and is unproven in this offense.

We'll see.

It may not be immediate but I think we will all be pleasantly surprised with Patterson’s play.

Field Yates tweet about Darboh says he was “waived”. With due respect to what others have posted, I do not believe he will revert to IR after he clears waivers.

With rosters set at 53, a player does not have to clear waivers to be placed on IR as they do when the roster is 90 players. It will be interesting to find out for sure, but I surmise he did not pass his physical which he would not considering he had surgery today and the Patriots just put him back on waivers.

The Union will likely file a grievance against the Seahawks for waiving an injured player which will likely be settled with Darboh being compensated for the time he’ll miss from the injury.

The good news is there is no 8 game IR requirements. He could resign with the Patriots either to the 53 or the PS whenever he recovers from his surgery if the Patriots remain interested at that point.

I am fine with Hogan, Edelman, Dorsett and Patterson. You aren't. You think that the #3 and #4 WR's are a major part of an offense with Gronk, White, Bulkhead and Hill on the squad. I disagree. I don't expect our #3 WR to average more than one catch per game.

A 4th WR is a luxury needed in case of injury or suspension.

And yes, I'd be fine if Belichick decides to upgrade by trading a 3rd to 5th draft choice for a WR.

BOTTOM LINE
We need 3 WR's plus a backup in case of injury or suspension. I'm fine with our set of 4.

And, just like anyone else in the league, if a key player is injured, we need bring someone up from the Practice Squad, sign someone, or trade for someone. We even have Hansen as an emergency backup for now.

AN ASIDE
I understand why folks think we need 5 WR's that we can count on to be major contributors. I just strongly disagree with that position as long as we have Gronk, White and Burkhead.

If you don't think the #3 WR is important outside of injury or suspension, rewatch the 2014 and 2016 Super Bowl runs. They don't win either Lombardi if they had to rely on fringe talent at #3 or #4 WR.

If you don't think the #3 WR is important outside of injury or suspension, rewatch the 2014 and 2016 Super Bowl runs. They don't win either Lombardi if they had to rely on fringe talent at #3 or #4 WR.

2014- Edelman, Lafell and Amendola. 2016- Edelman, Amendola and Malcolm Mitchell. They don’t win those Super Bowls without all 3 receivers.

Hogan is proven but has missed time due to injury. Edelman is 33 coming off an ACL and suspended for the first 4 games. Philip Dorsett is unproven but has promise and was an underrated contributor to the offense in the Super Bowl. Patterson has not shown himself to be an accomplished route runner and has been used as a novelty by the two teams he’s played for to date.

Gronk is great. White and Burkhead are accomplished receivers out of the backfield. But, if you want to see a parade in Boston next February, at least 3 among Hogan, Edelman, Dorsett, Patterson, Hansen or Billingsley will need to be healthy and playing at a quality level to make it happen.

2014- Edelman, Lafell and Amendola. 2016- Edelman, Amendola and Malcolm Mitchell. They don’t win those Super Bowls without all 3 receivers.

Hogan is proven but has missed time due to injury. Edelman is 33 coming off an ACL and suspended for the first 4 games. Philip Dorsett is unproven but has promise and was an underrated contributor to the offense in the Super Bowl. Patterson has not shown himself to be an accomplished route runner and has been used as a novelty by the two teams he’s played for to date.

Gronk is great. White and Burkhead are accomplished receivers out of the backfield. But, if you want to see a parade in Boston next February, at least 3 among Hogan, Edelman, Dorsett, Patterson, Hansen or Billingsley will need to be healthy and playing at a quality level to make it happen.
Edelman just turned 32 at the end of May.

Great, go do it then. After all, it's that easy, right!

Hard Knocks is entertainment it's not a good resource to appraise knowledge and capability. No one worth a damn shows anything on that show.

No thanks, buddy. I get paid a lot more to work 9-5 and post here than I likely ever would have in the field of coaching working 90 hour weeks dealing with overgrown children.

Last edited:
They DID rely on fringe talent.

It would seem the intention is for this season, unless something better (er worse) comes along.

It was as if the Patriots wanted someone on IR to bring back, just in case; first Izzo and then turning the spot to Darboh. They appeared uncomfortable with no one.

I highly doubt that a midling IR receiver capable of returning is of great importance to NE. It's far more likely that they viewed giving Izzo a chance to return as being useful, but not so much that even a minor waiver claim was worth moving in a different direction.

And the new guy seems to be more about getting the remainder of his contract, the fact that he is eligible to return is incidental.

I think his concern, as is mine is Patterson doesn't create a lot of separation in his routes and is unproven in this offense.

We'll see.
In all honesty “doesn’t create a lot of separation in his routes” is something you have heard people say right? You can’t have watched all his routes and determined that.
It’s a trite comment people make when they can’t explain why they don’t like the guy. Show me someone who studied all of his plays and broke down all his routes that says that and I will think it means something.
Let’s see what he does.

I'm not arrogant, I'm just much smarter than you. But that's a low bar. I'm not all that smart.
The irony of your post is only exceeded by your lack of class.

In all honesty “doesn’t create a lot of separation in his routes” is something you have heard people say right? You can’t have watched all his routes and determined that.
It’s a trite comment people make when they can’t explain why they don’t like the guy. Show me someone who studied all of his plays and broke down all his routes that says that and I will think it means something.
Let’s see what he does.
I have not watched all his routes but that's the book on him and in the limited time I've paid attention to validate the assessment, he's looked average.

His strength is getting the ball in space and making plays. Not route running.

Like you said let's see.

I have not watched all his routes but that's the book on him and in the limited time I've paid attention to validate the assessment, he's looked average.

His strength is getting the ball in space and making plays. Not route running.

Like you said let's see.
My point is how many routes have you studied? It’s a stereotypical lazy comment that gets bandied about on boards like these with nothing really backing it up other than people repeating it because they heard it.

My point is how many routes have you studied? It’s a stereotypical lazy comment that gets bandied about on boards like these with nothing really backing it up other than people repeating it because they heard it.
He's looked average in preseason. Maybe he's under wraps or it is who he is

We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes