PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 12 games with Mac: which QBs would you take right now over him?

And yet, Lawrence was the universal #1 pick and is considered a potential generational talent in the way of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If Jones was considered the better talent coming out of college, why was he selected 14 spots after Lawrence. Let's not be those fans.
And yet exactly how many universal #1 picks turned out to be a generational QB talent

Methane Alert!!!! Green Sow sighting!...do not approach and for godsakes do NOT light a match!

Are you telling me that there are 17 OC's worse than McDaniels?

I'm telling you, for any future owners/GM's browsing, that Josh is an excellent HC candidate and that it would be a great loss if somehow another team landed a coup and pried this guy away from the Pats. Josh certainly deserves to go to another team. It also seems like he has great rapport with Ziegler and they would seem to be a great tandem that could work together.

See also Andrew Luck and Ryan Leaf.

And Brady was not considered a potential generation talent.

Brady is a generational talent. I didn't mean to say he was perceived to be one out of college.

And Andrew Luck was a great QB for a period of time, but got injured a lot. In a different situation, he might have been that generational talent he was expected to be.

Leaf was never considered a generational talent coming out of college. And I don't think anyone thought that either Bledsoe or Leaf were considered two of the best QBs coming out of college in many years. They were just the two best that year and maybe the best in the last few drafts at best.

And yet exactly how many universal #1 picks turned out to be a generational QB talent

Lawrence may never be the generational talent he is projected to be, but many say he is the best QB prospect to come out of the draft since possibly Peyton Manning at least Andrew Luck. He is a special talent.

I will tell you right now that if the Jags don't get better talent or coaching, he will never reach is full potential. Maybe a seasoned QB with Lawrence's skills could come into Jacksonville and make that offense work, but a raw rookie will never have a chance no matter how talented he is.

I'm literally in awe at the amount of people who dont understand this.
I’m in awe of why you keep coming around here. Look at the stack of s..t qb’s your team has drafted, FA signings since Kelly retired. Having two good seasons out of Josh Allen makes you an expert of nothing. Nobody likes you and your opinion matters very little around here. All the stupid underhanded jabs since you’ve signed up make it less likely that you’ll ever be accepted for anything than just a troll. But hey, it’s a free country, keep posting. (6 Super Bowl victories vs 4 straight losses.)

You mean the guy who choked away a SB and has a lower QBrating than Mac Jones this year? :rolleyes:
You crazy if you would take Mac over Mahomes.

The amount of disrespect for Mac in this thread is mind boggling to me. I don't understand how a fan base who watched Brady for the better part of two decades can't see that this kid is special and damn near a carbon copy of the guy who won us 6 Super Bowls, except he has better physical talents. Of course he's not as good as Brady right now, because Tom has 20+ years of experience. But I think he's as good as 2001 Brady, and he's only going to get better as he gains EXP points.

How can you watch Brady for almost 20 years and not realize the greatest attribute a QB can have isn't arm talent or his legs but his brain?

I think some of you should be Chiefs fans if you want a flashy all talent and little brains QB over Mac. You don't deserve Mac.

If the answer is less than 10 other QBs, and I think that it certainly is, then Mac is in rarified air for a true rookie QB.

Here's the scenario. Let's say that the Football Gods visit you, and make you this offer:

You can re-do the 2021 season with any QB who started a game this season as the Patriots' starter instead of Mac.

The catches are:
  1. You have to take them as they are now.
  2. You have to take them on this team, with these coaches and this offense.
  3. You have to keep them for the remainder of their current contract (with whatever outs that contract might have).
  4. It's the Football Gods, so you don't have to worry about whether or not you have the salary cap space for the QB; they'll take care of that somehow. You do, however, have to consider whether he'll take up too much salary cap space for you to sign other players in the future.
Which QBs, if any, would you take right now?

Assuming BB is the coach for the entirety of the QB's time, and just sticking to the definite choices in the AFC:

Watson
Mahomes
Lawrence
Allen
Burrows
Herbert

Wentz might have made the list if it weren't for his injury history and my not being sure that he'd mesh with BB.

The amount of disrespect for Mac in this thread is mind boggling to me. I don't understand how a fan base who watched Brady for the better part of two decades can't see that this kid is special and damn near a carbon copy of the guy who won us 6 Super Bowls, except he has better physical talents. Of course he's not as good as Brady right now, because Tom has 20+ years of experience. But I think he's as good as 2001 Brady, and he's only going to get better as he gains EXP points.

How can you watch Brady for almost 20 years and not realize the greatest attribute a QB can have isn't arm talent or his legs but his brain?

I think some of you should be Chiefs fans if you want a flashy all talent and little brains QB over Mac. You don't deserve Mac.

Entering this season, Mahomes had been a starter for 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons, he took his team to 3AFCCGs, 2 Super Bowls, and a Super Bowl victory.

And Mac Jones is not Tom Brady.

To run the offense for THIS TEAM with THESE Coaches?

Mac Jones. Better processing information than all but a few QB's, get through his reads quickly and delivers the ball to the right spot. Very Good at pre snap reads.

Brady - was unwilling to work with young receivers late in his career here, needs Gronk and AB to be successful due to his age.

Mahomes and Rodgers, Gunslingers not the right fit for this offense and these coachs.

Here is my list, All young guys...

Mahomes
Lawrence
Burrow
Allen
Herbert
Murray

and maaaybe Dak. We struck gold at #15 this year.

Dude I love Mac as much as the next guy and while there is no question there are some similarities, let's be cautious comparing him to TB12.

I don't think anyone on the planet was picking TB12 as their franchise QB 12 weeks into his career as a starter in 2001.

I’m confused. Is this question for THIS SEASON ALONE or potentially a decade going forward?

I’ll assume it’s the latter so I can rule out everyone over 35 I’d take these guys over Mac:

Trevor Laurence
Joe Burrow
Pat Mahomes
Justin Herbert
Dak Prescot
You get the QB for the rest of his current contract. No guarantees beyond that.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back