PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 12 games with Mac: which QBs would you take right now over him?

Who would i take over him for just 1 game/rest of this season or as my franchise QB going forward?

QBs i would take just for this season, in a vacuum over Mac:
Aaron Rodgers (barf)
Tom Brady
Josh Allen

Could make an argument for some other veterans like Carr and Cousins, but meh

QBs I would take over him as a franchise QB going forward?
Josh Allen

Loving Mac tho, he fits this team perfectly and we were very fortunate to have him fall to 15
You wouldn't take Mahomes?

Justin Herbert and Patrick Mahomes. Thats it. Nobody else has enough talent (or youth) to offset how much of a fit Jones is in this offense.

Putting the qb on the pedestal creates unnecessary gatekeeping that yes is influenced by biases. They tried to make Warren moon a running back.

yes man it’s racist. Just let Mac find the system and shut the **** up.

let the qbs nuts BREATHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Would you take any rook rbs over Stephenson? That’s the rookie I’m also excited about!!!!!

We're taking them as is... which means salary as well.

I'm only taking someone on their rookie deal, preferably with multiple years left before I have to pay them.

From 2021 the only QB I'm even considering is Trevor Lawrence... but I'm not sold on it. From last year the only considerations are Herbert and Burrow, but again Mac is at least as, if not more efficient than them. From the year prior there's one, Kyler Murray who I believe is the best young QB in the league... but he'll need to get paid soon.

I'm happy with Mac. We can talk all we want about Lawrence's pedigree etc... Mac put up the single greatest season in college history in every statistical category, he won a championship, he has balls of steel. Give me Mac with four years left on his rookie deal, as good as he is... the Pats will be serious contenders the entire time he is getting paid peanuts.

Last edited:
Would you take any rook rbs over Stephenson? That’s the rookie I’m also excited about!!!!!
Najee Harris, but its close.

It’s easy to think that and say that. And we could have said that for…… e.g. Manning vs Brady. That of course you should take the superior Manning (in every way the better QB coming out of college) than Brady. And even after Brady won SB in 2001 you’d say (and everyone in the League DID say) “just a good situation”.

Yet there’s something about those intangibles. The guys who have a knack for pulling out 4th qtr wins. Who don’t get flustered under pressure. Who can absorb game planning prep better and etc.

I can honestly say, seeing the performance on the field, I’d prefer Mac to Trevor. Forget the college credentials. It’s NFL performance and reacting to NFL speed and complexity that matters.

My 2c
And it's not like Lawrence had an overall better year in college than Mac either.

Lawrence has nothing around him. No talent. No coaching. That is a huge difference between the two QBs right now. Lawrence is trying to carry a team that probably doesn’t have more than 3-4 starters on either side of the ball who would even have a legitimate chance to compete to start on the Patriots.

The Jags may ruin Lawrence. But if he was on a good team, he would be better than Jones at least long term. That is no swipe at Jones.
Yeah because Mac has never beat Lawrence in head to head competitions before, or had a better college season. :rolleyes:

At this point, anything less than 7 SB is a bust

so no one. No even a rookie TB12

Here's the scenario. Let's say that the Football Gods visit you, and make you this offer:

You can re-do the 2021 season with any QB who started a game this season as the Patriots' starter instead of Mac.

The catches are:
  1. You have to take them as they are now.
  2. You have to take them on this team, with these coaches and this offense.
  3. You have to keep them for the remainder of their current contract (with whatever outs that contract might have).
  4. It's the Football Gods, so you don't have to worry about whether or not you have the salary cap space for the QB; they'll take care of that somehow. You do, however, have to consider whether he'll take up too much salary cap space for you to sign other players in the future.
Which QBs, if any, would you take right now?
What difference does it make?

Tennessee was supposed to be the first challenge of the 4 game gauntlet but it sort of got derailed by the loss of Henry, Brown and Jones. Still, always hard to get a win but diminished a tad. Now they have Buffalo, Indy and then the Bills again. That’s plenty of measuring to be had right there. But who are we kidding? Mac Jones could easily be 10-2 right now and it would be an absolute media circus surrounding the hype of the rookie. Regardless of the rest of the season he’s shown himself to be competitive, competent and great decision maker. That’s a great combination to support.

Ofcourse there are QBs that are better right now. But would you trade away a chance to live out another homegrown QB with the possibility of another decade of excellence for an aging one who just has a few years left?

Larry Bird, Tom Brady, Bill Russell. All drafted and adored. Jeter in NY, Magic and Kobe in LA. Montana etc. When the fans get to grow with the success of the player, the affinity also takes hold of the region. Thats how legends are born. Mac or bust all day.

deleted

Yeah because Mac has never beat Lawrence in head to head competitions before, or had a better college season. :rolleyes:

And yet, Lawrence was the universal #1 pick and is considered a potential generational talent in the way of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If Jones was considered the better talent coming out of college, why was he selected 14 spots after Lawrence. Let's not be those fans.

And yet, Lawrence was the universal #1 pick and is considered a potential generational talent in the way of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If Jones was considered the better talent coming out of college, why was he selected 14 spots after Lawrence. Let's not be those fans.
See also Andrew Luck and Ryan Leaf.

And Brady was not considered a potential generation talent.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back