PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION AFCCG: Bengals at Chiefs

Yes, but why drag those other great QBs into a discussion about Mahomes and his performance yesterday?
Because to sell more mahommes merchandise and create ad revenue for those shows given his appearance in the afccg every year… his glory needs to be considered as on par with the other greats, or at least the best active qbs. They gotta have to have a reason to photoshop his corny ass mug juxtaposed against qbx if he’s gonna be playing every winter.

which to dudes point, you can’t say it isn’t on par. At this pace he certainly goes in the pantheon.

he made some good points. If the chiefs fall off it’ll be cause his contract creates a hole that can’t be made up for with strong TEAMBUILDING… and COACHING. He’s proven he can be a franchise qb.

Wasn't that the flu game where the Pats had to trot out such noted defenders as Eric Alexander on the road in Indy?

Yeah, that's totally the same thing as the heavily favored and completely healthy Chiefs gagging away a big lead at home.

Wasn't that the flu game where the Pats had to trot out such noted defenders as Eric Alexander on the road in Indy?

Yeah, that's totally the same thing as the heavily favored and completely healthy Chiefs gagging away a big lead at home.
Mahomes had two all pros to throw to as well and plenty of time Oline wise

Mahomes melted down. That was probably the worst he’s ever played in the playoffs to end a game.
Agreed. I was just stunned watching their last 5 plays. he did that scramble to the sidelines for a yard gain or whatever - did he get hurt on that play?

Next play, scrambles...sack. Did he get hurt on that play?

Next play: confused, spinning, losing yards...like a 16-yard sack, really? When you need a FG to tie? That was Matt Ryan bad.

Then in OT, all 3 of his passes could have been picked - the second one an easy pick-six!

He was either hurt, or someone should check his bank account. Good lord, that was ugly.

Road/home doesn’t matter.

who cares who you got on defense it’s Brady v manning whooo

remember mahommes missing two tackles and throwing body parallel to the ground?

not even dissing anybody just saying I get the guys point.

pickin and choosin when others matter.

im not sure he’s bashing anybody. He’s saying some of the greatest qbs ever had some **** mistakes (and sometimes their teams bailed them out of it), so why not mahommes?
Agree...but: he says Mahomes can't be blamed for last year's SB debacle. True. Then he blames Brady for '07, when Brady spent the entire game getting pounded.

Then later, he says you can't put Allen in the same sentence as Mahomes because Allen hasn't beaten him in the playoffs...this kind of thinking is 2nd-grade superficial. The Chiefs didn't beat the Bills because Mahomes outplayed Allen - the Chiefs got a huge break because Buffalo's coach is kind of stupid in situational football.

Road/home doesn’t matter.

who cares who you got on defense it’s Brady v manning whooo

remember mahommes missing two tackles and throwing body parallel to the ground?

not even dissing anybody just saying I get the guys point.

pickin and choosin when others matter.
Your first two sentences tell me there's no point in arguing this with you. I mean ... yikes.

Your first two sentences tell me there's no point in arguing this with you.

who said it had to be an argument?

breathe.

he went 1td, 1pick, 79.5 qbr in the playoffs. These are facts.

In the SB last year, Mahomes bailed on clean pocket all game long. It was self induced pressure all day. Many times he could have stood in the pocket and deliver a pass or step up but he likes running around and Tampa bay was ready for it. The fact that he ran around every time made it look like he was constantly under pressure but that was not the case.

Brady was more under pressure against the Rams than Mahomes in the SB bowl last year.

Mahomes played like crap. Playing hero ball all game long instead of taking what was there. Like the 2nd half today

Yep...the more times I've seen SB55, the more it becomes clear that Mahomes was mostly to blame for the protection issues. The Bucs did win a few battles right off the snap, but as you pointed out, it wasn't anything we haven't seen when the defensive line has a big advantage like the Rams-Bucs. The reason it looked so much worse was all the juking around in the backfield and and trying to buy more time.

Mahomes benefits as much as any QB in the league from following the script. The Chiefs have so many creative playcalls. He gets so much easy money from Kelce being wide open and Hill racking up huge YAC. McKinnon was outstanding this year and every bit as good, if not better, than Brady has had it with guys like Faulk, White, etc. Mahomes went from "the drift" where he kept backing up toward the sidelines earlier in the season to some weird all-out Fran Tarkenton style of weaving behind the pocket, apparently to create some huge highlight or because he was simply confused by the defense.

Mahomes is a great QB, but to me he's John Elway, not Montana or Brady...

Yep...the more times I've seen SB55, the more it becomes clear that Mahomes was mostly to blame for the protection issues. The Bucs did win a few battles right off the snap, but as you pointed out, it wasn't anything we haven't seen when the defensive line has a big advantage like the Rams-Bucs. The reason it looked so much worse was all the juking around in the backfield and and trying to buy more time.

Mahomes benefits as much as any QB in the league from following the script. The Chiefs have so many creative playcalls. He gets so much easy money from Kelce being wide open and Hill racking up huge YAC. McKinnon was outstanding this year and every bit as good, if not better, than Brady has had it with guys like Faulk, White, etc. Mahomes went from "the drift" where he kept backing up toward the sidelines earlier in the season to some weird all-out Fran Tarkenton style of weaving behind the pocket, apparently to create some huge highlight or because he was simply confused by the defense.
When Mahomes doesn't immediately have an open guy to throw to and feels even a little bit of pressure, he panics and bolts. Those last two sacks in regulation were inexcusable. If not for Thuney being right there, they lose right then.

When Mahomes doesn't immediately have an open guy to throw to and feels even a little bit of pressure, he panics and bolts. Those last two sacks in regulation were inexcusable. If not for Thuney being right there, they lose right then.
He ran out of bounds on both plays too prior to the fumble. It was bizarre.

These are the types of throws that "look easy" but few quarterbacks throw them besides Brady. Decisive, quick release, puts the ball exactly where it needs to be, not afraid to throw over the middle of the field to a receiver without much separation.

Agree...but: he says Mahomes can't be blamed for last year's SB debacle. True. Then he blames Brady for '07, when Brady spent the entire game getting pounded.

Then later, he says you can't put Allen in the same sentence as Mahomes because Allen hasn't beaten him in the playoffs...this kind of thinking is 2nd-grade superficial. The Chiefs didn't beat the Bills because Mahomes outplayed Allen - the Chiefs got a huge break because Buffalo's coach is kind of stupid in situational football.
Where did he blame tb?

And why do you care if he did.

i think if anything he was saying “this man’s the greatest qb to ever live, and he made mistakes on the level of what mahomie made “

And thus… this “clutch gene” nonsense is a terrible yardstick.

why are ppl taking things personally for people they don’t know?

Where did he blame tb?

And why do you care if he did.

i think if anything he was saying “this man’s the greatest qb to ever live, and he made mistakes on the level of what mahomie made “

And thus… this “clutch gene” nonsense is a terrible yardstick.

why are ppl taking things personally for people they don’t know?
I'm not taking anything personally.

Just pointing out that absolving Mahomes for last year is on par with absolving Brady for '07.

And pointing out that the yardstick being used to elevate Mahomes above Allen is kind of silly.

I don't really care either way. Mahomes is a gifted QB. I wish the Pats had him. The new guard is great - although I do wish the NFL would de-emphasize the QB position,a s I believe it's ruining the sport, but that's another conversation.

i wish someone would have called him out on that. Brady did everything he could on his end in sb42. And in 2006 reche caldwell dropped a perfect pass for probably a td in the colts loss he referenced, don’t know how that one could be pinned on brady either.

I'm not taking anything personally.

Just pointing out that absolving Mahomes for last year is on par with absolving Brady for '07.

And pointing out that the yardstick being used to elevate Mahomes above Allen is kind of silly.

I don't really care either way. Mahomes is a gifted QB. I wish the Pats had him. The new guard is great - although I do wish the NFL would de-emphasize the QB position,a s I believe it's ruining the sport, but that's another conversation.
Exactly. Wish the pats had him. There it is. With a solid team and bbs experience (and him taking a pay cut like tb), we win several.

i wish someone would have called him out on that. Brady did everything he could on his end in sb42. And in 2006 reche caldwell dropped a perfect pass for probably a td in the colts loss he referenced, don’t know how that one could be pinned on brady either.
2006...Pats D thick with flu. Colts turn up the heat in the dome...puke buckets everywhere.

They came back against a physically-destroyed defense It wasn't a choke. It was just terrible misfortune.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back