PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC vs. NFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I see so many people talk about how the NFC is "loaded" and how the AFC is just weak. I personally don't see this, but wanted everyone else's opinion about it. I think both conferences are terrible this year.

Top 5 in AFC (as of 10/20)

1. Patriots
  2. Raiders
  3. Steelers
  4. Texans
  5. Broncos

Top 5 in NFC (as of 10/20)

1. Vikings
  2. Cowboys
  3. Seahawks
  4. Falcons
  5. Redskins

I believe that the NFL is down this year (because really, no homer-bias at all) we are head and shoulders better than the rest of the league right now. I know the Vikings are unbeaten, but come on. Sam Bradford and the Vikes D vs. Tom Brady and our offense? Come on son. We beat Seattle in their prime, and we have added another Top 3 TE since then.

How about you guys? Do you think that the NFC is SO much better than the AFC?

It's a watered-down league for sure, but I have to say I see more credible teams in the NFC this year.

I do think the NFC is much better than the AFC. Other than NE, none of the other AFC stand a chance at winning the SB, barring a multitude of injuries to the top players of their opponents that would pave the way for any of them to win it all (like Denver last year.)

I think NE is better than any NFC team, but teams like Seattle, Minnesota, Dallas, and even Atlanta, are far better than Denver and Pittsburgh.

It's a watered-down league for sure, but I have to say I see more credible teams in the NFC this year.

I think the NFC is 3 deep (as it pertains to actual contenders).

Vikings, Falcons, Seahawks.

I think the AFC is 2 deep.

Patriots, Steelers (if healthy).

So technically I agree, but I don't think its by as much as people say.

The AFC has the best team but when you look at the top 10 teams 7 are in the NFC.

I would say the NFC is the better conference overall but the AFC has the best team and has more talented top teams.

When all is said and done and all things being equal including health i think the top 10 teams will be

#1 Pats
#2 Seahawks
#3 Steelers
#4 Broncos
#5 Cardinals
#6 Cowboys
#7 Falcons
#8 Vikings
#9 Eagles
#10 Packers

I like the Raiders, Ravens and Bills okay but just the lack of star talent on those teams i think will catch up as the year goes on.

Agree. Terrible quality. And it's not just the regular season.

There were a lot of uncompetitive playoff games last season. The Super Bowl wasn't all that enjoyable either (from a football perspective, not speaking as a homer).

When you compare conferences, you're comparing as a binary, unless you take the cop out answer of "they're equal". One is better than the other. So, whether it's Ali v. Frazier, or it's Jimmy v. Timmy, you still pick a winner.

Simple truth.... As a Patriots fan, if you ranked the teams you least wanted to face, based upon the season to date, you'd probably have 4 of the top 5 coming from the NFC (Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks, Vikings), with Denver being the only AFC team to crack that top 5.

Barring injuries, I think the top 10 teams from both conferences this year are;

1. Pats
2. Cowboys
3. Vikings
4. Seahawks
5. Steelers
6. Falcons
7. Packers
8. Broncos
9. Eagles
10. Cardinals

I came into the year really thinking the NFC was much much stronger. But with Carolina and AZ really struggling (and even GB looking very average) I personally think at this point of the season its about even. Ben going down and Denver struggling has the AFC moving in the wrong direction.

We are just spoiled Pats fans. It looks like a watered down league every year because there's only a 2 or 3 teams in the entire league who can beat the Patriots - especially in the playoffs.

For example, the Bengals are a perennial playoff team and they will probably be in the wildcard game again this year, but lets face it... they stink.

Don't bet the ranch on that one.
Off to a rough start for sure, but they have been pretty consistent in 2 things the last 5 years: getting around 10 wins, and imploding in the first round of the playofffs.

Last edited:
Off to a rough start for sure, but they have been pretty consistent in 2 things the last 5 years: getting around 10 wins, and imploding in the first round of the playofffs.

Scheduling...

Compare their situation to

Raiders
Chiefs

and they have to face the Bills when Buffalo is coming off of a bye. If we pencil in

N.E.
Pittsburgh
Houston (it doesn't really matter, just pick 1 AFC South team, because that's all that'll make it)
Denver

I'd put the Bengals chances somewhere between 7th-9th right now.

When you compare conferences, you're comparing as a binary, unless you take the cop out answer of "they're equal". One is better than the other. So, whether it's Ali v. Frazier, or it's Jimmy v. Timmy, you still pick a winner.

Simple truth.... As a Patriots fan, if you ranked the teams you least wanted to face, based upon the season to date, you'd probably have 4 of the top 5 coming from the NFC (Cowboys, Falcons, Seahawks, Vikings), with Denver being the only AFC team to crack that top 5.
Hard for me to include the Cowboys in that list. As displayed in another thread, BB has never lost to them and somehow a team run by Jerry Jones fails to inspire fear.

The other point to consider is how much of a quarterback's league the NFL is, and where the top QBs lie. Teams in the NFC that haven't made anyone's list here nevertheless have guys like Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton, with whatever their current struggles might be have been winners in the past, or even Eli, with his two Super Bowls.

Compare that to the current AFC. Pop quiz: after Brady, who is the top AFC quarterback starting this week?

Just remember one thing, @CISGS, when it comes to the NFL, injuries are the great equalizer.

The Patriots, IMO, were the most balanced team last season, even if they didn't have the best record in the conference. But they were still done in by injuries.

Last edited:
The NFC holds a 4 game lead over the AFC in head-to-head games, thanks to the AFCN.
AFCE is 4-3 vs NFCW
AFCS is 4-4 vs NFCN
AFCW is 3-3 vs NFCS
AFCN is 1-6 vs the NFCE

Every year we hear about the "stronger" NFC but the facts don't bear that out. In spite of a ridiculous run of 13 straight SB titles from 84-96, the NFC only holds a 26-24 edge.

However, the AFC has won the season series with the NFC 30 times to 18, with two seasons (82 and 87) ending in a tie between the two leagues in head-to-head matchups. Not counting this season so far, the AFC is ahead by 92 games since 1966.

The NFC holds a 4 game lead over the AFC in head-to-head games, thanks to the AFCN.
AFCE is 4-3 vs NFCW
AFCS is 4-4 vs NFCN
AFCW is 3-3 vs NFCS
AFCN is 1-6 vs the NFCE

Every year we hear about the "stronger" NFC but the facts don't bear that out. In spite of a ridiculous run of 13 straight SB titles from 84-96, the NFC only holds a 26-24 edge.

However, the AFC has won the season series with the NFC 30 times to 18, with two seasons (82 and 87) ending in a tie between the two leagues in head-to-head matchups. Not counting this season so far, the AFC is ahead by 92 games since 1966.

I know conference allegiances are somewhat outdated, but I find this to be very cool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes