PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adding A Front 6 Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We will add a RB this week, likely in the next day. This will give us a RB corps of Michel, White, ???, Devein, Patterson as an occasional h-back, and Webb on the Practice Squad. I'm OK with that if the addition can be counted on to play if needed.
===================
We still need a LB or a DE/OLB. We now have Simon, Davis, Rivers and Grissom on the 53. Perhaps we can find some one more useful to the playoff run before the trade deadline. I would think that we might be able to upgrade ONE of these four. Personally, I would continue to keep Grissom as a STer.

Simon is already that upgrade you are looking for. Doubtful there will be more unless injuries strike or stars align.
You may be right.

However, I believe that Simon was injured on TH. In any case, there may be a player to trade for that would the upgrade for one of these players.

They still need another Patrick Chung type.

Always seemed as though NFL trades were fodder for internet message boards, and not all that based in reality...

Deep in the recesses of many fans minds there is a thought that this is pretty much like the MLB trade deadlline, when 4:00 PM is the magic time when teams will all of a sudden get better.. that does not seem to work in the NFL, particularly as the Pats are very tight against the salary cap... 2.3 Million under.

Didn’t we sign a runner already?

They’ve been talking about a line backer from Arizona

Specifically, 2017 1st-round pick (#13 overall) Haason Reddick. He had a decent rookie season last year.

However, in 2018, even though he was healthy, he was used for only 30 total snaps over the course of the Cards' first four games. Some thought that he may not have been a good fit for the new defensive scheme (the team changed DCs and from a 3-4 to a 4-3 during the off-season).

But then, Reddick played 100% of the snaps on Sunday and looked fine ... 8 tackles, a sack, forced a fumble and had a couple PDs.

I suspect that there will be several trades before the deadline.

With regard to our cap room, consider that we could restructure Gilmore, move salary to bonus and free up $4M or so, and give him $100K or for his trouble.

. that does not seem to work in the NFL, particularly as the Pats are very tight against the salary cap... 2.3 Million under.

NESN has an article about that. Should (And Could) Patriots Trade For One Of Cardinals’ Young Linebackers?

"As of Sunday morning, Arizona Cardinals linebackers Haason Reddick, the 13th overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, and Deone Bucannon, a 2014 first-round pick and converted safety, were “viable” trade options"

"The Patriots have a little over $2.3 million in cap space, but Reddick only would cost $531,278 against the cap, per Miguel Benzan of the Boston Sports Journal."

I'm not familiar with either guy. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts from those who are.

Specifically, 2017 1st-round pick (#13 overall) Haason Reddick. He had a decent rookie season last year.

However, in 2018, even though he was healthy, he was used for only 30 total snaps over the course of the Cards' first four games. Some thought that he may not have been a good fit for the new defensive scheme (the team changed DCs and from a 3-4 to a 4-3 during the off-season).

But then, Reddick played 100% of the snaps on Sunday and looked fine ... 8 tackles, a sack, forced a fumble and had a couple PDs.

Yeah that ends this one.

If we’re look at trades we need to look at reconstruction of contracts, I know DMac has a considerable hit, unsure on the others though.. @Miguel is normally the man for this

Gilmore’s 2018 salary is 100% guaranteed I believe. That would preclude a “simple” restructure where some of his salary above the minimum could be guaranteed and amortized over the remaining years of his contract.

Miguel, if you are around, can the guaranteed salary be changed to a bonus and thus push some of the 2018 cap hit to future years? Also, with Gronk's and Brady’s contracts having been sweetened with performance bonuses, can they still be adjusted further with simple restructures and create cap space in 18?

Ian, we need a “Miguel Signal” to alert him that old friends need his expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes