PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Patriots want minimum of 1st and 4th round picks for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread reminds me of all the threads where people thought Mallett was worth a first rounder (at least).

While a few people thought that, most of the comments around Mallett were people wouldn't trade him for less than a second rounder. With the general thought being, why trade him for a 4th rounder if you were just going to go spend a 2nd round pick on a replacement for him, as a backup to Brady.

Mallett also had a much lower value because he never started, and never got a chance to show what he could or could not do. As far as Jimmy's value, he is worth what a team is willing to pay for him. Arguing that a team would never pay this or that is foolish because we have no idea.

While a few people thought that, most of the comments around Mallett were people wouldn't trade him for less than a second rounder. With the general thought being, why trade him for a 4th rounder if you were just going to go spend a 2nd round pick on a replacement for him, as a backup to Brady.
A 2nd rounder for Mallett would have been manna from heaven. The rumors were that Belichick was either demanding a 2nd rounder, or had already turned down an offer of a 2nd rounder. People thought we would get Houston's #33 for Mallett because, you know, Coach O'Brien and all. It's amazing how history repeats itself. Now we are going to get a 1st and a 4th for Garoppolo because, you know, Coach McDaniels and all.

It's not just that he's worked for 3 seasons under Brady/BB/McD, he's got physical skills & tools that were on display in that Miami 1st half when he went 24 of 33 for 264 yards. He jumped out of my TV that day in a cape, and may have set some team single game records if he hadn't gotten hurt. He's got very quick feet and a big arm. He's nothing like Cassell or Hoyer, night and day, and had a great college career too. If he'd played 4 games instead of 1 1/2, the asking price would be two #1's. His only negative is being 6'2 instead of 6'4, but anyone can see that's not an issue for him.

A 2nd rounder for Mallett would have been manna from heaven. The rumors were that Belichick was either demanding a 2nd rounder, or had already turned down an offer of a 2nd rounder. People thought we would get Houston's #33 for Mallett because, you know, Coach O'Brien and all. It's amazing how history repeats itself. Now we are going to get a 1st and a 4th for Garoppolo because, you know, Coach McDaniels and all.

Did Mallet played at all? So it's not the same situation.

Did Mallet played at all? So it's not the same situation.
The situations are very similar. People in this forum overrated Mallett based on the logic that, for some reason, holding Tom Brady's clipboard for a couple years would make him an NFL caliber QB. We see the same thing now with Garoppolo.

Look, I get it. We are all homers here, especially myself. I am just trying to give the perspective of other GM's and explain why they aren't going to spend high first rounders on a QB 1 year away from free agency with 1 1/2 games experience.

The situations are very similar. People in this forum overrated Mallett based on the logic that, for some reason, holding Tom Brady's clipboard for a couple years would make him an NFL caliber QB. We see the same thing now with Garoppolo.

Look, I get it. We are all homers here, especially myself. I am just trying to give the perspective of other GM's and explain why they aren't going to spend high first rounders on a QB 1 year away from free agency with 1 1/2 games experience.
In fact sitting 3 years on SOMEONE ELSES bench could be a detriment as well.
I know we all want to kiss the rings, but if other teams felt by being a Patriot you become a better player, teams would swarm after every player we release or try to trade. On top of that there is definitely a premium in having played (not sat btw) for a winner, so we would be seeing Patriot trade bait or FAs being the most heavily coveted and it just doesn't happen that way.

From a Patriot-centric view, why wouldn't you want Jimmy? We are very optimistic. Personell in the NFL doesn't work that way, it looks for the negatives. One negative is that if you draft a QB with your pick, you can develop him in your own system. I'm sorry but the coach that says he would rather have someone trained in BBs system than his own, probably never got a HC job. Its just not the mentality. Most coaches, would prefer to bring their own guy up in their own system.
Now if the evaluation says they believe Jimmy is far better than whoever they can draft (and that won't be based on Brady osmosis) then they will trade. But compared to a draft choice, Jimmy does have negatives (learned in someone elses system, age, being pretty much inactive for 3 years).
There is no magic formula because you have to grade the player. I think the thoughtful approach is that Pats fans will overrate Jimmy, that his rubbing shoulders with the GOAT wont change much if anything (It didn't for all the other backups) and his 6 quarters of experience give a little insight, but 3 years of relative inactivity is a concern.

Osweiller supposedly has personality and work ethic issues. Based on that I would say that Jimmy's floor is significantly higher than Osweiller's. This may be going a little too far but I think Jimmy's realistic floor is Alex Smith.

Alex Smith is way too high of a floor. Garoppolo's floor is him back to being a back up QB in a year or two.

it's long enough to go without displaying a flaw.........he is by far the best available option available to any team looking for a QB and superior to Bradford who got a bunch of picks or Goff who got a bunch of picks......I would consider a top 3 pick for him if we can get rid of the pick unless myles garrett is available and even that's a maybe......giving up a cheap backup QB who could conceivably take you to the SB should come at a premium in the QB starved NFL........even if it means settling for a comp pick or tagging him and dealing with him after 2017

It so isn't long enough to go without displaying a flaw. Carson Wentz says hello. Look how well he played in September vs the rest of the season. Teams got a book on him and his play declined significantly. He showed next to no flaws in September.

I just think a team dying for a QB would die for Garoppolo long before Kizer or the Trubsnik(sp) guy considering they would have to back up the truck for either of those 2 and they are much more unknown

Actually, I think many would.

JG is a unique situation. He only has a few games experience, but that was the same boat Aaron Rodgers was in as well:

upload_2017-1-4_12-9-30.png

Based on what I've seen JG is closer to Rodgers than Mallet.

In fact sitting 3 years on SOMEONE ELSES bench could be a detriment as well.
I know we all want to kiss the rings, but if other teams felt by being a Patriot you become a better player, teams would swarm after every player we release or try to trade. On top of that there is definitely a premium in having played (not sat btw) for a winner, so we would be seeing Patriot trade bait or FAs being the most heavily coveted and it just doesn't happen that way.
Agreed. Not only does it not happen that way, but players tend to go downhill (fast) when they go from New England to another team - and that includes the 1 QB (besides Garoppolo) who filled in for Brady.

I mean, who are they players that left NE and maintained the same level of play (or better) for another team for an extended period of time? I can think of one, and he's a kicker. Then there are a bunch of McGinest-Wilfork types who are very talented, but really just finished out their careers by spending a couple years elsewhere before retiring.

JG is a unique situation. He only has a few games experience, but that was the same boat Aaron Rodgers was in as well:

View attachment 15457

Gimme a break. If Garoppolo is the next Aaron Rodgers then I'd say cut Brady this offseason. It is ridiculous to compare him to arguably the best QB of the past 25 years not named Brady by saying "Garoppolo is closer to Rodgers than the complete failure Ryan Mallett" with the implied message that that somehow makes him a franchise player. There is no evidence to suggest that his talent level is even remotely comparable to Rodgers.

If you want to say Garoppolo is closer to the greatest QB not named Brady in the NFL over the past quarter century than Mallett, fine. But chances are he's a lot closer to Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassel than he is to Aaron Rodgers.

I just think a team dying for a QB would die for Garoppolo long before Kizer or the Trubsnik(sp) guy considering they would have to back up the truck for either of those 2 and they are much more unknown
I am not sure what you mean by saying they would have to "back up the truck" but if you are saying they would be financially expensive, you are mistaken. The cost for securing either of those player for 4 years will be just marginally higher than the cost to franchise Garoppolo for just 1.

I am not sure what the situation is with Kirk Cousins in Washington i.e if they would tag him or sign him long term. They can be a potential trade partner. They gave up a lot forRG-III and might end up giving more than a 1st and a 4th for Jimmy G

View attachment 15457

Why do you think that? Please expand on the similarities you see between Rodgers and Garropollo.

Goff make 20m per year? No, he doesn't, so your point is idiotic.

Jared Goff signed a 4 year, $27,937,673 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $18,518,308 signing bonus, $27,487,673 guaranteed

Jimmy Garoppolo signed a 4 year, $3,483,898 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $853,744 signing bonus, $1,103,744 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $870,975.

I'm sorry, we're you saying something about being an idiot?

Gimme a break. If Garoppolo is the next Aaron Rodgers then I'd say cut Brady this offseason. It is ridiculous to compare him to arguably the best QB of the past 25 years not named Brady by saying "Garoppolo is closer to Rodgers than the complete failure Ryan Mallett" with the implied message that that somehow makes him a franchise player. There is no evidence to suggest that his talent level is even remotely comparable to Rodgers.

If you want to say Garoppolo is closer to the greatest QB not named Brady in the NFL over the past quarter century than Mallett, fine. But chances are he's a lot closer to Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassel than he is to Aaron Rodgers.
I'm not comparing JG to the AR of today but to the AR of 2006-7. It's an almost identical situation. Rodgers was drafted #27 and sat on the bench behind a legend for 3 years, during which he never got the chance to flash what JG did this year.
edit: The point is that nobody knows for absolutely certain how any QB prospect is going to pan out. Did the Packers know they had an all-pro at the time they made him sit 3 years? So no you don't cut Brady, though I sure wish the timing were working out a little better such as it did with the Packers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back