PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter: Patriots want minimum of 1st and 4th round picks for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desperation?
If we wait until a team that considers it a SB contender and loses their QB the week before the season and only has Shaun Hill and we have the only capable QB on the market, I'd bet we get a higher price.

We will get good value for JG, adding up to a mid 1st round pick at least. Nothing is for certain in the NFL, but people who watched JG play in the pre season and training camp said he throws a better deep ball than Brady. I have seen Jimmy throw 10 yard bullets, I have seen him lob 40 yrd TDs. Adam Schefter at minimum says they get a 1st round pick. I trust his judgement.

Do we know anything for sure .. absolutely not. Lets say JG gets traded and goes to a team with a horrible offensive line and a bad receiving core and he has a bad season, is that his fault? There are obviously many variables because the NFL is the ultimate team oriented sport.

I predict we get a 1st and a mid round pick or swapping first round picks and getting a 2nd round pick.

If it was the Browns I would swap pick #12 for #(hopefully) 32 and then get there 33rd pick.

The Browns would still have #1 and #32 in the 1st round and they could always trade there #1 over all and get even more picks. The Browns are loaded with draft capital.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about.
You are comparing what you don't about JAG to what you didn't know about Rodgers and thinking that has some kind of value?

And Rodgers wasn't born on draft day, so to say Garaopolo had better feet and mobility is to say you didn't know Rodgers from Vince Wilfork.

I'm going to stop here, because I feel this is going to evolve into whether Jimmy G is better than the alien from Mars that will be the 1st pick in 2094
I think you lost track of the conversation, which started with people comparing JG to Mallet and saying that teams will put him in the same bucket. JG is as different from Mallet as you say he is from AR.

We can't say it's probable that Garoppolo will become a franchise QB, but it's not out of the realm now, is it? He's not without tools, and he's shown more in his first 2 1/2 years than AR did. That's a fact. Plus he's as ready as anyone to hit the ground running when he takes over. Easily we get a mid-1st, and probably more than that.

Desperation?
If we wait until a team that considers it a SB contender and loses their QB the week before the season and only has Shaun Hill and we have the only capable QB on the market, I'd bet we get a higher price.

Broncos, Bills (17 years drought), Texans ( Osweiller benched), Arizona ( Palmer is a JAG with a good roster), 49rs, Jets, Browns, Bears and maybe Jaguars ( Bortles is not improving)

Let's do the math. 5 QB's have 1-3 round grades. And it's considered a really bad QB year. 8 or 9 teams need QB's. Let's say 8. Broncos get Romo.

Using a random mock draft (only first 3 rounds):

San Francisco 49ers: DeShone Kizer, QB
New York Jets: Mitch Trubisky, QB
Houston Texans: Pat Mahomes, QB
Buffalo Bills: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Browns, Bears and Arizona still need QB's. So besides Tyrod (3 years without making playoff). Who is gonna play for Browns and Bears? Let's say Arizona keeps Carson next year.

Desperation enough for you ?

There was no market for an in-his-prime Drew Bledsoe other than a conditional(!) first from Buffalo and his resume was much deeper than JG's. I think there's going to be a lot of disappointment out there if people really expect a team to give us their 1st rounder for Garoppolo. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it happening.

That is, unless the Pats decide to send our own first rounder to the other team with JG in the deal. Then I think it could happen.

Last edited:
We will get good value for JG, adding up to a mid 1st round pick at least. Nothing is for certain in the NFL, but people who watched JG play in the pre season and training camp said he throws a better deep ball than Brady. I have seen Jimmy throw 10 hard bullets, I have seen him lob 40 yrd TDs. Adam Schefter at minimum says they get a 1st round pick. I trust his judgement.

Do we know anything for sure .. absolutely not. Lets say JG gets traded and goes to a team with a horrible offensive line and a bad receiving core and he has a bad season, is that his fault? There are obviously many variables because the NFL is the ultimate team oriented sport.

I predict we get a 1st and a mid round pick or swapping first round picks and getting a 2nd round pick.

If it was the Browns I would swap pick #12 for #(hopefully) 32 and then get there 33rd pick.

The Browns would still have #1 and #32 in the 1st round and they could always trade there #1 over all and get even more picks. The Browns are loaded with draft capital.
You are saying we WILL get AT LEAST then saying nothing is certain.

I'm not even going to get into you seeing a handful of passes being anything resembling a QB analysis, but why in the world would Cleveland want to swap 32 for 33? They will just pay more for the same guy.

Broncos, Bills (17 years drought), Texans ( Osweiller benched), Arizona ( Palmer is a JAG with a good roster), 49rs, Jets, Browns, Bears and maybe Jaguars ( Bortles is not improving)

Let's do the math. 5 QB's have 1-3 round grades. And it's considered a really bad QB year. 8 or 9 teams need QB's. Let's say 8. Broncos get Romo.

Using a random mock draft (only first 3 rounds):

San Francisco 49ers: DeShone Kizer, QB
New York Jets: Mitch Trubisky, QB
Houston Texans: Pat Mahomes, QB
Buffalo Bills: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Browns, Bears and Arizona still need QB's. So besides Tyrod (3 years without making playoff). Who is gonna play for Browns and Bears? Let's say Arizona keeps Carson next year.

Desperation enough for you ?
No it isn't. At least 3 or 4 of those teams have a QB in house that will play in 2017 for them.
None of those teams are in the desperation position the Vikings were in.

How can you say that? (2 and 3)
Based on two games? (2, 3 and 5)
A future trading partner will pay for the player's potential. Comparing a player with 10 or more years of experience is absurd.
Especially when it is one of the four or five best of his generation, if that is the parameter to JG, I think a first round choice is very little return for that.

Using your logic (affirmative two and three), he is more accurate than Rodgers ( %68.3 x %65.1), has more avg yds per game ( 345 x 259.3), better QBR ( 88.7 x 78.2), better rating ( 113.3 x 104.2)

Jimmy Garoppolo's Quick Release Looked Legit Thursday Night
Of course it is a ludicrous comparison. I didn't make it I am the one saying it is ridiculous.

I think you lost track of the conversation, which started with people comparing JG to Mallet and saying that teams will put him in the same bucket. JG is as different from Mallet as you say he is from AR.

We can't say it's probable that Garoppolo will become a franchise QB, but it's not out of the realm now, is it? He's not without tools, and he's shown more in his first 2 1/2 years than AR did. That's a fact. Plus he's as ready as anyone to hit the ground running when he takes over. Easily we get a mid-1st, and probably more than that.
So your argument is that a guy once didn't play his first couple of year and turned out good, so that means Jimmy G will?
And no he hasn't 'shown more'. He has played more. He has shown more to fans. That has nothing to do with showing ability. You honestly are trying to tell me that Jimmy G is more mobile than Aaron freaking Rodgers. That isn't even worth a discussion. ITs not even close.

Carson Wentz does have to do with Garoppolo because he is part of a pattern of first time starting QBs. Many first time starting QBs look far better than they really are because teams don't have a book on them and, once teams start to develop that book, they start to figure out the QB's weaknesses and develop game plans to stop them.

If you don't like Carson Wentz, why not Nick Foles who went from breaking the single season TD to INT ratio record (which Brady just shattered) in his second year in the League to a back up QB three years later?
Or Matt Schaub who had a similar type of short streak as a replacement start in Atlanta as Garoppolo had to become a career journeyman QB?

Or Colin Kaepernick who was being touted as revolutionizing the way the QB position would be played and leading his team to the Super Bowl his first year as a start to a back up QB three years later?

Or how about Matt Flynn who had two starts over two seasons with Green Bay and amassed 9 TDs and 2 INTs during those two starts and then went on being a career back up bouncing around from team to team after that?

Or Ryan Leaf who played so well early in his career that people were blasting Parcells for taking Bledsoe over him and then flamed out pretty quickly?

I can keep going. Sooner or later I will come up with a QB that you will have to admit is relevant to Garoppolo. The league is littered with QBs who looked great initially until teams figured them out and went on to flame out in this League. Garoppolo may or may not join that group, but it is foolish to say any of us know if he will or not.
The Pats picked Bledsoe over Rick Mirer, not Ryan Leaf. Leaf was selected second in the 1998 draft behind Manning. Leaf never had a decent season. Mirer's first season with Seattle started better than Bledsoe's with New England, but ended up virtually the same. Mirer (12TDs, 17 INTs, 67 rating); Bledsoe(15 TDs, 15 INTs, 65 rating). I don't remember fans "blasting" Parcells for the choice.

The Pats picked Bledsoe over Rick Mirer, not Ryan Leaf. Leaf was selected second in the 1998 draft behind Manning. Leaf never had a decent season. Mirer's first season with Seattle started better than Bledsoe's with New England, but ended up virtually the same. Mirer (12TDs, 17 INTs, 67 rating); Bledsoe(15 TDs, 15 INTs, 65 rating). I don't remember fans "blasting" Parcells for the choice.

Yeah, duh. My bad on Leaf. But he did have a good rookie season. You are looking at it in the eyes of today's QB, but for a rookie QB in the early 90s he had a very good season.

But if you look at the QB in the 90s, even the top QBs back then would be considered mediocre QBs today. It was a run first league and the defenses could actually play defense.

You are saying we WILL get AT LEAST then saying nothing is certain.

I'm not even going to get into you seeing a handful of passes being anything resembling a QB analysis, but why in the world would Cleveland want to swap 32 for 33? They will just pay more for the same guy.

They are not swapping 32 for 33.. you left out the part where they have to swap there #12 pick to the Patriots for the #32 pick. We would get Clevelands #12 pick and there #33 pick. They would get our #32 pick.

They will have to pay more for the same guy?

This is my guess.

Whats your guess Andy?

I think the difference is that some people are certain based on 1 1/2 games that JAG is going to be a superstar QB,

I don't know who is saying he is a Super Star QB. He looks like a good QB though. If he was a sure thing we would get multiple 1st round picks and maybe more.

They are not swapping 32 for 33.. you left out the part where they have to swap there #12 pick to the Patriots for the #32 pick. We would get Clevelands #12 pick and there #33 pick. They would get our #32 pick.

This is my guess.

Whats your guess Andy?

If it was cleveland i would ask for their 12th pick and 65th pick.

According to Andy Heart on CSNE the Pats at best would get a late round 1st pick for Jimmy G. And more likely a high 2nd round pick... Sorry doesnt make sense to me.. Jimmy G was a 2nd round pick and is developed.. I don't understand why you can't get a high 1st round pick for him. Or a late round first and a third / 4th round pick..

Andy Hart is a total idiot, I don't know how some of those guys got that PFW job... talk about a golden ticket

Andy Hart is a total idiot, I don't know how some of those guys got that PFW job... talk about a golden ticket

Andy's arrogance gets on my nerves. I respect his knowledge of the game, but he seems to think that he knows more about NFL trades and GMs than insiders like Schefter do... neither he nor Perillo have any kind of standing to refute what Shefter is proposing.

The nerve of these idiots...smh

This is my guess.

Whats your guess Andy?
Why would Cleveland throw in 33 a second round pick for 32 a first round pick? They would likely end up with the same guy and have GM in a more expensive contract.
In your scenario they would just trade the 12.

There was no market for an in-his-prime Drew Bledsoe other than a conditional(!) first from Buffalo and his resume was much deeper than JG's. I think there's going to be a lot of disappointment out there if people really expect a team to give us their 1st rounder for Garoppolo. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it happening.

That is, unless the Pats decide to send our own first rounder to the other team with JG in the deal. Then I think it could happen.
You are forgetting the part where Drew had one year down on I think it was a 10 year 100 million dollar deal back when that was record breaking. It wasn't just the pick it was also committing serious long term money too. With Grop worst comes to worse and he totally sucks next year you only wasted the picks. THAT is why he is so valuable this year because you get one year basically for free to see if he is worth a long term commitment in your system. Potential top 10 QB's are so hard to find it's IMO worth a top 15 pick to take Grop out for a test drive.

Why would Cleveland throw in 33 a second round pick for 32 a first round pick? They would likely end up with the same guy and have GM in a more expensive contract.
In your scenario they would just trade the 12.

yeah your right actually.

Andy's arrogance gets on my nerves. I respect his knowledge of the game, but he seems to think that he knows more about NFL trades and GMs than insiders like Schefter do... neither he nor Perillo have any kind of standing to refute what Shefter is proposing.

The nerve of these idiots...smh

Yea I really dislike people with his personality, he just starts talking really loudly and angrily to make his point. If you can't make your point without some angry, bravado, tough guy act then its probably not a very good one.

Granted I think some of those instances in the past with Furia, etc were a bit scripted but he does it even when I've heard him on the radio or seen him on CSN. He has angry little-man syndrome or something lol, but I'm very jealous of his job

Nope, but your reading skills obviously need improvement. The question asked was:

"I don't understand why you can't get a high 1st round pick for him"

I don't want to get too personal as I have been a bit snippy lately from lack of sleep, and I do like reading some of your stuff. But I'm scratching my head here wondering why you're criticizing my reading when you're the one who actually didn't read deroc5050's post in it's entirety, skipping the last line. It reminded me of this guy:

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Let me bold the relevant parts since you missed them the first time. And the second time. Third time's the charm, they say:

According to Andy Heart on CSNE the Pats at best would get a late round 1st pick for Jimmy G. And more likely a high 2nd round pick... Sorry doesnt make sense to me.. Jimmy G was a 2nd round pick and is developed.. I don't understand why you can't get a high 1st round pick for him. Or a late round first and a third / 4th round pick..

As for the rest...

Saying we can't get a high 1st round pick is not even remotely the same as saying we can't get a first rounder at all. There is a huge difference between the number three pick in the draft and the number 21 pick in the draft.

When this is the analogy you have to make, you really only hurt your own point.
And for every Jimmy Garoppolo, there's a Jay Cutler, Matt Flynn or Matt Cassel.

It cracks me up how people in this forum seem to think that being Tom Brady's back up makes someone a significantly better quarterback. There is nothing magical about holding Tom Brady's clipboard that make someone a great quarterback. Hoyer, Cassel and Mallet are not names which we will be seeing in Canton anytime soon.

I agree the formula is more complex than that. But none of that changes the fact that three years of low cost certainty is better than one year of low cost certainty, all else being equal.

Already went over not reading the entire post, and there are numerous examples showing that late firsts plus other picks can happen. But out of curiosity, what do you consider a "high" pick? This feels like a moving target.

To me, a top pick is in the top 20 because those are the non-playoff teams, and because we almost never get to draft that high, in which case I would say the Jay Cutler trade. But I'm sure to many others, they would consider top 16 since that's half of the league, so I'd say the Drew Bledsoe trade. But some may consider top 10. That would be the Rob Johnson trade. Or maybe top 5 since we will just keep moving the goal posts.

And what about draft picks that are unprotected at the time of the trade? The Raiders traded their future 1st for Carson Palmer. It ended up being 17th, so it probably doesn't count in your definition of high. But it could have been 1st overall, as it was totally unprotected. The Raiders started 4-2 before making the trade, then went 4-6 with Palmer, leaving the Raiders as one of the 7 teams to finish at 8-8. Based on strength of schedule, that pick fell to 17th, but could have been as high as 12th if SOS worked out differently, or their luck in close games (4-1 in 1-possession games after trading for Palmer) had been slightly different. Ditto the Vikings pick which ends up at 14th, but could have been much lower (or higher). The team dealing the pick has no certainty of what that pick will be worth.

The point about the 3 years contract was that it only matters if the player is worth it. Everyone is obsessing over the potential extra 3 years of cheap contracts, and I understood your point, but I think you give it way too much weight because:

a) it doesn't matter if the player sucks, and
b) it doesn't matter if you have to give up extra top 3-picks to get them.

So if your team is convinced Jimmy G is great, why not trade a 1st for him, keep your 2nd, 3rd, and 1st next year and draft players to help? Is that any better/worse than trading all 4 of those picks for 1 big question mark who might have 3 extra cheap years on their deal? Of course not.

I also find it amusing you throw out Cutler, Flynn and Cassel as examples of failures. None of those guys are going to the HOF, but they all exceeded expectations and were hardly the flops that you seemed to want to indicate. You also slag Hoyer and Mallett, and really all of those guys exceeded expectations one way or another.

But I really don't understand the Cutler, Cassel, and Hoyer criticisms.

If we don't listen to fan radio and use more objective measures (say career AV and Chase Stuart's excellent draft value chart), we can get a good indication of which players exceeded expectations based on their draft position, and by how much.

Let's start with Cassel. He was a 7th-round pick in the 2005 draft, so from that time to now, 145 QBs have been drafted (does not include UDFAs). As a late 7th-round pick, his draft value chart expects him to have 10.1 AV in his first 5 seasons. Cassel put up 25 AV, despite sitting 3 of those years. His 46 career AV also puts him 12th in the list of 145 QBs drafted since 2005, and only 3 of the guys ahead of him were NOT 1st-rounders.

Then there's Cutler, the 11th pick overall in the 2006 draft. According to Stuart's draft value chart, we should expect 29.3 AV, and Cutler produces 52 despite sitting his rookie season and switching teams midway. Cutler has an 11-year career and going.

There's a tendency to label anyone who isn't a first-ballot HOFer as a JAG, but that's well above average. Since that 2005 draft, he's 3rd in career AV, 2nd in starts, and one of only 18 QBs to get a Pro Bowl nomination.

Hoyer was an UDFA but the lowest value in Stuart's chart is 10.1 so we'll use that too. Hoyer technically fails the first 5 year test on Stuart's draft chart because he only started 4 games in his first 5 seasons, but he produced 18 career AV over an 8 year career (and counting), which would put him in the top 30 list of drafted QBs since 2005. Not bad for an UDFA.

Flynn and Mallett didn't do much in terms of actual production, although the longevity of their careers far exceeded expectations.

So measuring Cassel as a failure because he's not Brady isn't really fair. He's exceeded almost every other 7th rounder (Ryan Fitzpatrick is slightly ahead of him), and he's done better than 24 1st-round QBs, and 53 QBs drafted in the first 3 rounds. Meanwhile, Hoyer, an UDFA, had a better career than 116 drafted QBs going back to 2005.

And you think none of that has to do with working with Brady? That both players were just naturally way more talented than their draft position indicated? Or did learning from the GOAT day after day after day possibly have something to do with it?

At the end of the day, Jimmy not get traded. He might get traded for a 1st and a 4th. He might get traded for a high 1st (whatever that is). He might get traded for a 2nd and a 3rd. Nobody knows for sure. But all of those scenarios are possible, even if they're not probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back