PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Rodgers positive for COVID (update: “furious” status leaked, claims he didn’t lie, attacks NFL protocols)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - it's the fact I run a football forum and we're not influencing or changing the minds of anyone in here. Since that's the case, I'm not getting into it. I obviously have my own thoughts about the topic overall, but this isn't the medium for it. If you want to go fight with the masses on Facebook, Twitter, etc, have at it. But we're not doing it in this thread.
Then be consistent, Ian. The way you handle this is as political as any statement against. Nice try.

He went on the Pat McAfee show on Friday afternoon, after most sports talk shows wrapped up for the week. So today is the first day most of them are reacting to what he said there.
Thanks, doesn't help that Greenbay lost

No one has ever faced a greater moral challenge in his lifetime than boldly confronting the owner of a non-profit online football forum, who has kindly asked everyone to try to avoid polarizing discussion in one particular thread.
Not even close. No surprise from you. He asked one side not to discuss their opinion. That isn't limiting based on the politics of the topic, its demanding silence from those he disagrees with. Its a pathetic change in stance from this sites owner and is completely indefensible under his claimed reasoning.

Shame on you, @Ian.

Well, you did say "just" listen to the CDC. People need to be getting info everywhere they can, not "just" from the CDC.
I know, right? If only we had a government agency full of scientists and actuaries and statisticians who could collect ALL the data coming in from around the world, and tabulate it and check for peer review, control groups, hidden variables in the populations tested, etc., and bring us their exhaustive and detailed analyses. Maybe even throw in some recommendations on the best ways we could protect ourselves given the data on hand.

We could call it "The Center for Virus Control" - no, wait, that's too specific.

Maybe, "The Center for Disease Control."

Yeah, let's go with that!

So, seriously, do you think you're finding things that the CDC is missing? What you're finding are sources known as contrarians and merchants of doubt, or top-line, often misleading, information or data filtered through sources that have an agenda (which is seen so often in headlines that don't match what's in the body of the article).

I can’t find that specific one right now, but there’s this:

And, you'll notice that it says vaccinated people are less likely to spread it even if they catch it - and since they're also far less likely to catch it...

Is there no difference between sources of information to you? If Tom Brady says something about football, then I say something about football, do they both deserve equal considerati

We literally pay taxes so that the CDC can study diseases and tell us how to combat them. The CDC employs the best experts to do this work.

But, you want to ignore the CDC because you saw a Facebook post from a relative stating that a doctor somewhere disagrees with the CDC....for reasons.
who said ignore? stop that nonsense. I said I wouldn't listen to "just" the CDC. You do realize that there is still so much the CDC does not know about Covid.

I know, right? If only we had a government agency full of scientists and actuaries and statisticians who could collect ALL the data coming in from around the world, and tabulate it and check for peer review, control groups, hidden variables in the populations tested, etc., and bring us their exhaustive and detailed analyses. Maybe even throw in some recommendations on the best ways we could protect ourselves given the data on hand.

We could call it "The Center for Virus Control" - no, wait, that's too specific.

Maybe, "The Center for Disease Control."

Yeah, let's go with that!

So, seriously, do you think you're finding things that the CDC is missing? What you're finding are sources known as contrarians and merchants of doubt, or top-line, often misleading, information or data filtered through sources that have an agenda (which is seen so often in headlines that don't match what's in the body of the article).
they don't know everything, and if you don't think every aspect of our government isn't influenced by politics, you better think again. Again, NOBODY knows everything there is to know about Covid, it hasn't been around long enough. The narrative has shifted since day 1.

Not even close. No surprise from you. He asked one side not to discuss their opinion. That isn't limiting based on the politics of the topic, its demanding silence from those he disagrees with. Its a pathetic change in stance from this sites owner and is completely indefensible under his claimed reasoning.

Shame on you, @Ian.

He didn’t say that at all.

1636390207715.gif

they don't know everything, and if you don't think every aspect of our government isn't influenced by politics, you better think again. Again, NOBODY knows everything there is to know about Covid, it hasn't been around long enough. The narrative has shifted since day 1.

There’s a school of thought that the vaccine is connected to American corruption. Fauci, big pharma, government control, etc. The fact is almost every country in the world has its own independent decision, medical agency, etc. and vaccines have been approved almost everywhere. The Pfizer and Moderna ones aren’t the only mRNA vaccines and the J&J isn’t the only traditional vaccine.

Not everything the government recommends is a good idea. But not everything they recommend is a bad idea either.

In addition, not every conclusion or statement is absolute truth. It is true that they’ve missed some things and gotten others wrong and gone off of incomplete data at times (still haven’t fully figured it out.) But the general idea to get vaccinated and ere on the side of caution with masks seems pretty obvious.

They have EVERY STUDY and have staffing who know what they're doing, as opposed to me or you, when poring over the details of those studies and numbers.

They have EVERY CONCLUSION and CONCERN from every other similar organization around the world at their fingertips.

"The "it's just politics" ploy is rooted in a mistrust of everything...which means that bad people can and will take advantage of your nihilism and cynicism. We have experts. We have people proven time and again to be working and dedicated to the public good - ask my Republican doc friend about Fauci and he'll tell you there aren't enough Nobel Prizes in the world to do his work justice. Their work here is transparent, which is why people like Dr. Ashish Jha or former directors of the CDC or FDA (often appointed by the party not in power) can weigh in.

Yes, it's a virus,a n ew one, and nobody knows everything - and the least involved scientist at FDA, CDC knows a ****-ton more than you or I.

There’s a school of thought that the vaccine is connected to American corruption. Fauci, big pharma, etc. The fact is almost every country in the world has its own independent decision, medical agency, etc. and vaccines have been approved almost everywhere. The Pfizer and Moderna ones aren’t the only mRNA vaccines and the J&J isn’t the only traditional vaccine.

Not everything the government recommends is a good idea. But not everything they recommend is a bad idea either.

In addition, not every conclusion or statement is absolute truth. It is true that they’ve missed some things and gotten others wrong and gone off of incomplete data at times (still haven’t fully figured it out.) But the general idea to get vaccinated and ere on the side of caution with masks seems pretty obvious.

I agree with every sentence.

.... under two different political administrations. All the while recommending vaccines and masks.

Reactions: Ian
They have EVERY STUDY and have staffing who know what they're doing, as opposed to me or you, when poring over the details of those studies and numbers.

They have EVERY CONCLUSION and CONCERN from every other similar organization around the world at their fingertips.

"The "it's just politics" ploy is rooted in a mistrust of everything...which means that bad people can and will take advantage of your nihilism and cynicism. We have experts. We have people proven time and again to be working and dedicated to the public good - ask my Republican doc friend about Fauci and he'll tell you there aren't enough Nobel Prizes in the world to do his work justice. Their work here is transparent, which is why people like Dr. Ashish Jha or former directors of the CDC or FDA (often appointed by the party not in power) can weigh in.

Yes, it's a virus,a n ew one, and nobody knows everything - and the least involved scientist at FDA, CDC knows a ****-ton more than you or I.
you are missing my point. All I'm saying is that there is a lot that we don't know about Covid at this time, that includes any single person, or group of experts. BTW, Fauci's work is far from transparent. He's playing word games with "gain of function".

There’s a school of thought that the vaccine is connected to American corruption. Faux, big pharma, etc. The fact is almost every country in the world has its own independent decision, medical agency, etc. and vaccines have been approved almost everywhere. The Pfizer and Moderna ones aren’t the only mRNA vaccines and the J&J isn’t the only traditional vaccine.

That is simply how research works. Something like the Ideal Gas Law has been around for 180 years because of early experiments on how gasses work. That is old hat, gasses have been studied for hundreds of years.

In contrast, the original COVID pandemic was a new phenomena and disease, so it took time for scientific studies and research to learn about it, and I think that isn't appreciated by much of the population who wants instant easily understood answers. Leaders at the CDC and NIH had to give some type of guidance and say something, even if it was a guess, before those studies of this new phenomena (COVID) has been completed, and sometimes those early guesses were wrong. The lack of emphasis of mask wearing in the first month or so of the pandemic is a good example, scientists had no idea how COVID was transmitted so they guessed it would be similar to a cold (remember all the early emphasis on contaminated surfaces and washing hands?) when it was actually transmitted in a different way mostly by air and scientists found to their surprise that studies showed mask wearing by infected individuals provided a great deal (not 100% of course) of protection to surrounding people and a little, limited protection to those mask wearers exposed to non-mask wearing infected individuals. OF COURSE the story changes as we get results from scientific studies of new phenomena like COVID, and as very preliminary and incomplete studies are followed by more conclusive and complete studies.

By now many, many ironclad research studies have shown benefits of getting vaccinated to avoid serious disease and to ere on the side of mask wearing, there really isn't any debate among (actual, not internet) experts in the field.

Last edited:
Aaron thinks masks are dumb and useless. But... he'll still take your money.

Aaron Rodgers NFLPA face mask.

RODGERS-MASK-1_800x.jpg

Then be consistent, Ian. The way you handle this is as political as any statement against. Nice try.

Shame on you, @Ian.

Good Lord ... with all due respect - what are you even talking about...?

I said I didn't want to get into it, aside from the fact Rodgers agreed to the policy through the NFLPA so he has to adhere to it.

And no - in the football forum, I'm not going to argue vaccine efficacy, vaccinated vs unvaccinated, and all the other nonsense that goes along with it. I'm not going to allow for this to devolve into a thread where policies and parties are argued over and nothing is accomplished, aside from more people hating each other on here over it. In the football forum, most of us (I hope) have the same rooting interest. In the political world, it's a different story.

Stop it with thinking I have some ulterior motive other than the fact I don't want to deal with people arguing the topic on the football board. In case you haven't noticed, there's one in the Pub I really haven't touched. I've simply asked to not get into all of that here in this thread.

Truthfully, you're looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but I'm "demanding silence" from everyone in here in terms of keeping politics out of it. I've even already deleted disparaging marks toward Trump in addition to others the other way. In this thread, I don't care about Trump, Biden, Fauci, whoever else, politics, policies, etc. Because again, I don't want to get into it in this thread.

It's not about what anyone of us thinks on a broad level about COVID - NONE of those opinions matter to the NFL or the NFLPA. Trying to pick a fight with me isn't going to change that, and that's the point I'm making when it comes to not wanting to argue about it here. We're not changing the world here, we're arguing about how Mac Jones looks, how frustrating McDaniels playcalling can be, plays that N'Keal Harry continues to not make, second-guessing coaching decisions, seeing someone like Brandon Bolden make plays, etc.

This is PatsFans.com - not LetsArgueAboutPolitics.com. Although, I just looked and the latter is available BTW - so if you'd like to add some stress to your life, by all means, go for it. But I'm not doing it here.

Otherwise, this thread is about Rodgers and the fact he's arguing over policies the NFLPA agreed to and he's being paid quite well over it. I wish Green Bay had won yesterday and Love had played better, but that didn't happen...so now he'll be able to gloat and that frustrates me.

But that's what we're talking about here. I'm sorry I've disappointed you, but I've been transparent and consistent about that when it comes to the football forum. And yes, I do have plenty of shame when it comes to other mistakes I've made in here over the years, which I've also mentioned and they definitely bother me. But trying to keep politics out of here - as best I can anyway - isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Even though I have serious problems with Portugal, this thread makes me feel a bit better about living in Europe (and here in particular)

It's really sad how the Freedom of will, maybe America's biggest legacy for the modern world, has evolved into Freedom of stupidiy. So much advancements made because USA, only to be disregarded by their own people, who keep glorifying ideologies and not reality ( as in, ignoring years of science and basic medical principles)

I dont like to meddle in political discussions here, cause Im definitely a outsider looking in, but with these movements happening all over the West (Brazil and Europe, which includes my life), I guess Im somewhat implied here.

So, can I say it, without political attachments? If you are anti-vax, you are one stupid mother****er

Agree completely, but there is a far more foreboding aspect to the rise of populist nationalist movement, and is that is the primary ingredient for wars, and the next world war will be the last world war. If the trend continues I don’t see most of humanity making it for another 30years. While the constraints that go with internationalism can chafe many the purposes of it are essentially beneficial economically and in terms of a braking mechanism against world war, but if the world continues down the nationalist path then we might as well kiss the future goodbye.

Otherwise, this thread is about Rodgers and the fact he's arguing over policies the NFLPA agreed to and he's being paid quite well over it. I wish Green Bay had won yesterday and Love had played better, but that didn't happen...so now he'll be able to gloat and that frustrates me.
Not sure he will be doing any gloating anytime soon. Would not surprise me to see him retire over this.

Not sure he will be doing any gloating anytime soon. Would not surprise me to see him retire over this.

Yikes!!!

Look, I know many people don’t want go get vaccinated. But let’s keep repeating this: the NFL allows unvaccinated players to play in every practice and every game, in every stadium. Other than mask wearing indoors, and not traveling with the team, what on earth is this guy’s beef?

Public safety protocols are always going to be more cautious, whether they make sense or not; they don’t update in real-time with the latest data. Likely next year, the protocols will be much more lax, and they’ll continue in that direction. It seems wearing a mask, indoors, and receiving your own transportation to eight games, isn’t really such a huge sacrifice for a guy who makes around $2M per game.

Whether or not one agrees about vaccines, I’m just not sure how one would disagree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes