PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to be a big Dobson supporter. He was hitting his stride before the foot injury last season. When finally healthy, I hope AD tears it up. Funny how many people are so quick to write him off as another failed WR promary due to rumors instead of probably the lingering injury. He is much better than fricking Tyms, where apparently all you need to do is make one big catch to be considered a better receiver than someone who actually produced 500 yds in little more than half of his rookie season.

Sorry but supafly has been campaigning against Dobson since last season. He'll be one of those guys who disappears from this thread once Dobson returns and does well.

I continue to be a big Dobson supporter. He was hitting his stride before the foot injury last season. When finally healthy, I hope AD tears it up. Funny how many people are so quick to write him off as another failed WR promary due to rumors instead of probably the lingering injury. He is much better than fricking Tyms, where apparently all you need to do is make one big catch to be considered a better receiver than someone who actually produced 500 yds in little more than half of his rookie season.

Sorry but supafly has been campaigning against Dobson since last season. He'll be one of those guys who disappears from this thread once Dobson returns and does well.

Agree heavily with everything minus the @supafly bit. People fell in love with Tyms over some pre season bs. I'm excited about Tyms as a project and I'm rooting for him, but people act like him making an explosive play in pre season is more impressive than Dobson getting thrown into the fire his rookie year and playing well. Look at how Damarius played his rookie year. Look at Dez Bryant's first year. I'm not saying he's gonna be that good but why can't he be a 1000yd 10 TD guy?

Agree heavily with everything minus the @supafly bit. People fell in love with Tyms over some pre season bs. I'm excited about Tyms as a project and I'm rooting for him, but people act like him making an explosive play in pre season is more impressive than Dobson getting thrown into the fire his rookie year and playing well. Look at how Damarius played his rookie year. Look at Dez Bryant's first year. I'm not saying he's gonna be that good but why can't he be a 1000yd 10 TD guy?

Maybe. But the 'healthy scratch' -- a designation that isn't disputed is it? -- makes the 'still coming back from injury' reasoning very uncertain. It appears right now the simplest answer is his level play/contribution isn't good enough to supplant someone else to get playing time. For a second year guy that has to be concerning.
With that said I'm hoping the injury simply put him so far behind in preparation to go with some changes to the receiving group from '13 that makes BB and staff hold Dobson back until a more opportune time (key phrase being "I hope").

Wait...what?

Why would you bring my name into things, just because I pointed out how ridiculous it was to think that our 3 rookie receivers put up "good" numbers in 2013?

2 of the 3 were cut (with one resigned to the practice squad), with the other one being a healthy scratch for the majority of the year who has been overtaken by yet another UDFA player in Tyms.

Where in God's name have I been incorrect that people overrated Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce last year?

I'm just as excited and hopeful as anyone else re: Dobson's talent, but we have absolutely no idea if he'll be yet another Jackson, Price, Tate, or Johnson--all 4 draft picks that failed miserably. As of right now, Dobson isn't exactly headed in a positive direction, is he?

Maybe. But the 'healthy scratch' -- a designation that isn't disputed is it? -- makes the 'still coming back from injury' reasoning very uncertain. It appears right now the simplest answer is his level play/contribution isn't good enough to supplant someone else to get playing time. For a second year guy that has to be concerning.
With that said I'm hoping the injury simply put him so far behind in preparation to go with some changes to the receiving group from '13 that makes BB and staff hold Dobson back until a more opportune time (key phrase being "I hope").

I think you've hit it right on the head. I also think it should be pointed out that most of us (with the exception of the usual suspects who obviously aren't "real" fans) are not rooting against Aaron Dobson. We're just a bit more reserved with our projections due to the circumstances.

In the end, the Dobson supporters may be correct, and I'd be very happy about that. In the meantime, I don't understand how being cautious or even a tad pessimistic re: Dobson isn't going to be understood, even if it's not necessarily agreed with? The same goes with other debatable players such as Amendola, etc. After all, while we may have differences of opinions (not you, specifically, of course), we're all on the same team/fanbase, and wish for the best in the end.

Wait...what?

Why would you bring my name into things, just because I pointed out how ridiculous it was to think that our 3 rookie receivers put up "good" numbers in 2013?

2 of the 3 were cut (with one resigned to the practice squad), with the other one being a healthy scratch for the majority of the year who has been overtaken by yet another UDFA player in Tyms.

Where in God's name have I been incorrect that people overrated Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce last year?

I'm just as excited and hopeful as anyone else re: Dobson's talent, but we have absolutely no idea if he'll be yet another Jackson, Price, Tate, or Johnson--all 4 draft picks that failed miserably. As of right now, Dobson isn't exactly headed in a positive direction, is he?
I take the back the "campaigning" part. I don't think you have it out for him or anything.

However you've been consistent in expressing dissatisfaction with Dobson when a upward trending rookie season was ruined by the foot injury that is probably responsible for him not seeing the field. I think he is more than capable, one of our best receivers when he is out on the field.

Supadobsonhata

Eat it, old man.

I take the back the "campaigning" part. I don't think you have it out for him or anything.

However you've been consistent in expressing dissatisfaction with Dobson when a upward trending rookie season was ruined by the foot injury that is probably responsible for him not seeing the field. I think he is more than capable, one of our best receivers when he is out on the field.

For the record, I've probably gone a bit far in pointing out how I disagreed with the offseason projections which included Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce--but like I said, I'd be more than happy to eat a healthy serving of crow should he come around and produce like some feel he's capable of.

In the meantime, I'll watch any borderline comments about him in the future, because I don't want to come off as negative regarding him or how I feel about any player. I've got to admit that I don't share the same level of optimism as you do, but that's really where it ends. Nothing more.

Last edited:
Eat it, old man.

I'm damn close to it.I'm on th south county f2f with pneumonia

For the record, I've probably gone a bit far in pointing out how I disagreed with the offseason projections which included Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce--but like I said, I'd be more than happy to eat a healthy serving of crow should he come around and produce like some feel he's capable of.

In the meantime, I'll watch any negative or borderline comments about him in the future, because I don't want to come off as negative regarding him or how I feel about any player. I've got to admit that I don't share the same level of optimism as you do, but that's really where it ends. Nothing more.

Emergency room. Damn tapatalk

Wait...what?

Welcome to my world!

Dobson had 10 catches in his first two games last year. He never equaled that in any other 2 game stretch. Dobson's season high of 7 catches came in the second game. Dobson had one big game, and that was against Pittsburgh. Outside of that, his season high was 63 yards receiving, as a starter.

There was no upward trend.

I think you've hit it right on the head. I also think it should be pointed out that most of us (with the exception of the usual suspects who obviously aren't "real" fans) are not rooting against Aaron Dobson. We're just a bit more reserved with our projections due to the circumstances.

In the end, the Dobson supporters may be correct, and I'd be very happy about that. In the meantime, I don't understand how being cautious or even a tad pessimistic re: Dobson isn't going to be understood, even if it's not necessarily agreed with? The same goes with other debatable players such as Amendola, etc. After all, while we may have differences of opinions (not you, specifically, of course), we're all on the same team/fanbase, and wish for the best in the end.

Sup, one of your key phrases is "supporters may be correct, and I'd be very happy about that". This sentiment get's lost among some fans who appear to obsess over being right about a player 'under performing' instead of having that legitimate opinion yet still rooting for the player. I think Amendola is the poster child for this: way underachieving expectations but, seemingly, also being rooted for to fall flat on his face. That's an epic fail for any real fan to believe.
Like you I am concerned Dobson's current status is troubling. Also like you I am hoping there is another explanation and will be GLAD to be wrong about my creeping negative suspicions of him. This is a lesson lost on more than a few rabid fans....

Stop comparing Dobson to Amendola and Tyms. They are all 3 used completely differently. Tyms is used as a deep threat/deep threat decoy. Amendola is a slot guy.

Dobson is not a bust yet he'll end up contributing, this has been a down year for him but overall I think he's still got a future in the NFL. After going through this lull I'm definitely rooting for the guy.

I just don't want to see lafell lose time right now to Dobson. He has been on a tear and i hope still gets the same amount of snaps
There is a snowball's chance in hell of that happening...

But the 'healthy scratch' -- a designation that isn't disputed is it? -- makes the 'still coming back from injury' reasoning very uncertain.

We hear about injuries that weren't disclosed all the time, so I don't think we can put any stock in that phrase, particularly in light of the quotes that came out last week.

Doesn't mean he is injured - or that there aren't reasons to be discouraged under both circumstances - just that a conclusion in either direction is equally uncertain at this point.

Last edited:
Eat it, old man.

As you and DI have said for months, we do NOT have great depth at WR. Amendola has been #3, running the correct routes and playing OK.

The rest have not produced. It is really that simple. We've gotten almost nothing from our 2013 rookies or from Tyms.

And yes, we need to keep Dobson. He's our 5th WR with some possibility of being OK in that role this year and next, at very little cost. After all, there will be competition for all the backup spots next year.

As you and DI have said for months, we do NOT have great depth at WR. Amendola has been #3, running the correct routes and playing OK.

The rest have not produced. It is really that simple. We've gotten almost nothing from our 2013 rookies or from Tyms.

And yes, we need to keep Dobson. He's our 5th WR with some possibility of being OK in that role this year and next, at very little cost. After all, there will be competition for all the backup spots next year.

I agree that we'll need to try and continue to progress with Dobson, and even Tyms for that matter.

Stop comparing Dobson to Amendola and Tyms. They are all 3 used completely differently. Tyms is used as a deep threat/deep threat decoy. Amendola is a slot guy.

Dobson is not a bust yet he'll end up contributing, this has been a down year for him but overall I think he's still got a future in the NFL. After going through this lull I'm definitely rooting for the guy.

I am being slowly hypnotized by your gif...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back