PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Dobson's problems are because of Dobson, not his QBs, and the Patriots aren't generally a team to have 5 active WRs in a game.

Would you say the same about Tebow?

The Sicilian is once again correct.

Blind-Squirrel-Finds-a-Nut-small.jpg

Dobson's problems are because of Dobson, not his QBs, and the Patriots aren't generally a team to have 5 active WRs in a game.

Usually no, but given the current TE situation, we may be looking at a few more 4 WR sets than we're used to seeing in the recent past, at least until Gronk gets back. The caveat there of course is the 4th "WR" may be Vereen instead.

still looks raw...but i think he has a very high potential if he just learns a few things

I think the most realistic expectation people had for our rookie receivers was that one would be able to contribute as a #2 receiver, and the other two could develop enough to at least help the team...I think most people expected that to be dobson considering is draft position

the only thing different is it appears the receiver who snagged that #2 spot and is in line for a big role is Thompkins...he certainly seems ahead of the other two..

but I still think that Thompkins/Boyce will play a role in the offense this year. with reps for #3 going to a split between Boyce/Edelman/Thompkins

for once, I really like our depth at WR

I'd agree that there have been times where Dobson looks like the least polished of our rookie wideouts, but I don't think we can properly judge at this point in time.

I'm not sure about talent specifics, but if/when Dobson gets acclimated to the system more he may have the opportunity to run with that pretty quickly.

In the meantime we have Thompkins looking very good, and Boyce likely somewhere in between or close to where Dobson is. The latter two obviously need some additional practice and work.

I think that we are fine this year with Amendola, Thompkins and Edelman. Edelman certainly is better than last year's version of Branch.

The bonus we have is in Dobson and Boyce. We should be able to get some production from at least one of them. And yes, one can step is our #3 when Edelman is injured and likely produce at least as much as Branch did last year.

So, my expectation is to have the four newbies for the playoff run and playoffs (and to have Blount returning punts).

Actually, the post in question proves otherwise.
But you wanted to draft someone else, and are still mourning Welker so none of that matters to you.

Dobson needs to learn how to use his size to his advantage. For example he has a terrible habit of catching the ball close to the body on cut routes or when the defender is right behind him and the defender gets his arms in there and prevents the catch. He has to box the defender out and use his arms to get the ball. You can see that he tries to box out but he doesn't use his arms.

The endzone INT is not his fault because the ball was underthrown but in he didn't do a good job of keeping the defender off the ball. More Mallett's fault than Dobson's but Dobson needs to learn to fight hard to stop the INT.

Drops. I just don't get the drops on pretty basic catches. From what I've seen it's related more to catching th eball too close to the body and maybe a little bit of not looking it all the way in. He's had enough drops to make me worried that he will be used very much until he solves that problem.

Routes. I can't say who's at fault but that crossing pattern last week where he ran into both a Patriots WR as well as a defender was just not well executed football. Again, hard to say it's his fault but given everything else going on with him I'm just going to pile it on. Maybe unfairly.

He's got an NFL body and does almost-OK with routes and getting open enough, at least for preseason games, so I think there's still hope for him as a Patriot, at least if he learns how to catch the ball consistently. It's obvious that the Patriots plan to exploit his size in the red zone. If he keeps dropping balls and doesn't polish his routes, though, he won't be a Patriot for long.

So, my expectation is to have the four newbies for the playoff run and playoffs (and to have Blount returning punts).

With his historic fumbling rate of every 43 touches, I'm not as sure as you about this choice.

In comparison the player we've recently heard about in regards to fumbling issues (Ridley) has a fumbling rate of every 76 touches, so that should put Blount's problems there into perspective.

I would think that anyone of Edelman (your concern is obviously health), Washington, Vereen, or even Boyce would be much better choices to return punts than LeGarrett Blount.

I think that we are fine this year with Amendola, Thompkins and Edelman. Edelman is certainly is better than last year's version of Branch.

The bonus we have is in Dobson and Boyce. We should be able to get some production from at least one of them. And yes, one can step is our #3 when Edelman is injured and likely produce at least as much as Branch did last year.

I don't think comparing to last year, or any other year, is an effective approach.
Saying someone should be better than that years weak link does little for me.
The fact, IMO, is that we aren't putting different guys into the same role, we are altering the offense to what we have.
I think you will see:
Amendola being less effective at what Welker did, but adding facets that Welker was not strong in (such as breaking long run after catch, and being more effective down the field (more often).
I'm not sold that Thompkins is the #2, but more that 2/3/4 will be split among all of the other receivers, and their varied skills.
All of them better do more than Branch did.

I see a much more versatile group.
Edelman will catch screen passes. Boyce seems like a young Branch in strengths and weaknesses. Dobson has the skillset to do everything we want a WR to do.
Its just a matter of who develops at what pace.

I don't think we will get to the end of this season and say it was less than it could have been because of the WR position.

Agreed.

Your last sentence is the key. Of course, this was a key issue going into the off-season and into the pre-season.

I see a much more versatile group.
Edelman will catch screen passes. Boyce seems like a young Branch in strengths and weaknesses. Dobson has the skillset to do everything we want a WR to do.
Its just a matter of who develops at what pace.

I don't think we will get to the end of this season and say it was less than it could have been because of the WR position.

considering that the best rookie this year (at least productivity-wise) could be a UDFA (Thompkins), you have to give the brain trust a pass.....the only real lesson learned is that unless it is a top 5-10 caliber pick. you have just as much chance getting a keeper late/after the draft as you can earlier

Outside of Amendola, this Patriots' offense doesn't have players with define roles, a la Welker, Lloyd, Branch in previous seasons. Instead, they have Amendola and a stable of young rookies looking to find their niche.

Amendola is the only player with a true role out of the group. He will be their starting Z receiver in 2 WR sets, and will shift into the slot in 3 WR sets. He will fill Wes Welker's role in as similar a manner as possible. Will he live up to expectations? Time will tell.

After Amendola, the only returning WR is Julian Edelman, yet he has yet to prove that he can contribute consistently in this offense. At this point in his career, he is best utilized as a punt returner and as an offensive "sparkplug," catching screen passes or being used in gadget plays to get the ball into his hands. He is a complimentary piece that can be highly effective if used in the right capacity.

And that's where the rookies will pick up.

Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins will all contribute to this team in some capacity, we just aren't sure how much and in what manner. Thompkins is the oldest of the 3, and has shown a better grasp of the system and has been most consistent in his play, hence why he has started in all 4 preseason games. He is definitely a surprise, and I hope he can continue to contribute into the season. But he is a rookie all the same, and he will have his shortcomings.

Dobson and Boyce will have to rotate into the offense in stead of Thompkins and Edelman at times, which isn't a bad thing. They have both flashed talent, they just need to be more refined.

I'll be watching SD's Keenan Allen very closely this year.

I just think all Dobson needs is to get into a real game rhythm with Brady as the primary QB and he will start to play more consistently.

Eagles game Brady plays 2 series, one of it was all running.
Bucs was the Brady/Amendola show
Lions was the Brady/Thompkins show, when the line wasn't breaking down

yeah...I was going to watch him....and then I did...and I'm not going to bother watching him now...

One of the things I don't like from Dobson, is the inability to get separation on go routes, or at least inconsistent separation.

Boyce made a juke move on his td route that didn't work at all yet still had that fifth gear to burn the DB anyway. That won't work at the starter level db, but at least he can work on the moves. Whereas I'm not sure Dobson has that same gear unfortunately. We do have to be realistic, the guy was not a first round pick.

I do think he can evolve into a competent starting calibre red zone receiver at some pt once he works out his release and gets the kinks out of the route running skills.

One of the things I don't like from Dobson, is the inability to get separation on go routes, or at least inconsistent separation.

Boyce made a juke move on his td route that didn't work at all yet still had that fifth gear to burn the DB anyway. That won't work at the starter level db, but at least he can work on the moves. Whereas I'm not sure Dobson has that same gear unfortunately. We do have to be realistic, the guy was not a first round pick.

I do think he can evolve into a competent starting calibre red zone receiver at some pt once he works out his release and gets the kinks out of the route running skills.

who cares about separation if he can do stuff like this

Aaron Dobson "The Catch" - YouTube

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand