PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Dobson played most of the preseason against starting and 2nd string defenses. Sims had a nice quarter and a half against 3rd string nobodies.

The Sicilian is once again correct.

If Sims had been drafted and Dobson an UDFA, I wonder if Dobson woulud be cut and signed to the PS.

Sims made 3 catches all preseason against guys that will be probably unemployed tomorrow. People should calm down about him.

Dobson's production in the preseason would have him on pace for a 50-65 rec and 500-700 yard season.

And most of the time he was out there with "inconsistent touch" Mallett and "guys open, but i'll hold onto the ball and take a sack" Tebow.

Dobson will be OK because he has great hands. The route-running discipline will come.

Dobson will be OK because he has great hands. The route-running discipline will come.

Thing is, if Dobson is undisciplined with his route running, he's not going to see a whole lot of playing time in this offense.

It's not just route-running. He's got a lot to work on.

He's very inconsistent in getting separation, in general
He's shying away from contact too often
He's struggling to get off the press

My prediction is that Boyce leapfrogs Edelman at some point this year. He looks like he's "getting it" more quickly than Dobson is and his routes have been sharper and more polished. He was in perfect position on that first down play that Dobson was called for OPI on.

Yeah, he had a nice one there, but that was a weird play. It looked like both Boyce and Dobson were still talking to each other when the ball was snapped, throwing off the timing. That might've had something to do with why Aaron was in such a hurry to start blocking because he really didn't have to.

Thing is, if Dobson is undisciplined with his route running, he's not going to see a whole lot of playing time in this offense.

His route running looks to be improving, but his tentativeness becomes clearer every week.

His route running looks to be improving, but his tentativeness becomes clearer every week.

Maybe. I don't see it but, admittedly, we don't see everything that's going on on the field. From what I've seen, he still looks to be rounding off his routes. They need to be a lot sharper if he has any hope of contributing anything in this offense in his rookie season. The shyness from contact is a HUGE red flag.

Maybe. I don't see it but, admittedly, we don't see everything that's going on on the field. From what I've seen, he still looks to be rounding off his routes. They need to be a lot sharper if he has any hope of contributing anything in this offense in his rookie season. The shyness from contact is a HUGE red flag.

What you are telling me we have a Brandon Lloyd II in the making here?:mad:

As much as I hate Lloyd, if NE got a bigger, younger version who isn't a fruitloop..... I guess I could live with that. :confused2:

If Dobson produces 74 catches for 911 yards and 4 TDs every season without Lloyd's head case antics, I would say he is a successful draft pick.

4 preseason games in and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the quality of his play thus far. He was struggling to gain separation on third stringers and looked allergic to contact, route running looked lazy and his hands suspect.

Dobson has a long, long way to go before he's ever a meaningful contributor for their offense it would seem. I expect lots of gameday inactives on his part if this is how he expects to get the job done in the NFL when the games actually start to matter.

As I said I have not fallen in love with Dobson, but I think the suggestions of him being inactive on game day or some of the other negative comments being thrown around are extreme, Dobson’s was second on the team in receptions during the preseason and if you look although his 11/29 reception to target ratio is underwhelming it is a bit misleading, see the breakdown below.

 Brady – targeted 6 times, resulting in 4 receptions, for a 66.7% reception rate.
 Mallett – targeted 14 times, resulting in 6 receptions, for a 42.8% reception rate.
 Tebow – targeted 9 times, resulting in 1 reception, for a 11.1% reception rate.

Needless to say when he is playing with Brady he is a much more efficient player than when he is playing with the backups, and personally a lot of the balls thrown by Tebow and even Mallett to a lesser degree aren’t even in the realm of catchable.

As I said I have not fallen in love with Dobson, but I think the suggestions of him being inactive on game day or some of the other negative comments being thrown around are extreme, Dobson’s was second on the team in receptions during the preseason and if you look although his 11/29 reception to target ratio is underwhelming it is a bit misleading, see the breakdown below.

 Brady – targeted 6 times, resulting in 4 receptions, for a 66.7% reception rate.
 Mallett – targeted 14 times, resulting in 6 receptions, for a 42.8% reception rate.
 Tebow – targeted 9 times, resulting in 1 reception, for a 11.1% reception rate.

Needless to say when he is playing with Brady he is a much more efficient player than when he is playing with the backups, and personally a lot of the balls thrown by Tebow and even Mallett to a lesser degree aren’t even in the realm of catchable.

Great points Brady6 both Mallett and Tebow make Donovan McNabb look like a precision passer.:rolleyes: Mallett is hit or miss Tebow is just miss. I am going to give Dobson the benefit of the doubt. Also knowing we are playing real games now he doesn't have to practice with them anymore. All the raves about Dobson in TC came when Brady was throwing to him not Jekl and Hyde.

Dobson's problems are because of Dobson, not his QBs, and the Patriots aren't generally a team to have 5 active WRs in a game.

Dobson's problems are because of Dobson, not his QBs, and the Patriots aren't generally a team to have 5 active WRs in a game.

That is a simplistic response, especially coming from someone with your football intelligence. Does Dobson have his own problems to work out yes, are they unexpected for a second round draft pick playing his first four preseason games, I do not think so. It is also not shocking to me that a rookie like Dobson is most comfortable taking snaps from the Brady whom he took most of his snaps with as part of the 1st string unit during training camp, rookies, like babies aren’t able to adapt on the fly initially, another example of that would by Josh Boyce who has got most of his reps on the second team is most comfortable with Mallett and appears to struggle with Brady comparably.

Dobson is a rookie wide receiver. We are very spoiled. Even top wide receivers usually take more than their first preseason to develop.

That is a simplistic response, especially coming from someone with your football intelligence. Does Dobson have his own problems to work out yes, are they unexpected for a second round draft pick playing his first four preseason games, I do not think so. It is also not shocking to me that a rookie like Dobson is most comfortable taking snaps from the Brady whom he took most of his snaps with as part of the 1st string unit during training camp, rookies, like babies aren’t able to adapt on the fly initially, another example of that would by Josh Boyce who has got most of his reps on the second team is most comfortable with Mallett and appears to struggle with Brady comparably.

It was supposed to be a simplistic response. Dobson's problems have been easy to see and independent of the QB involved, and they have been discussed in this thread (see my post not long before yours for one example).

Dobson is a rookie wide receiver. We are very spoiled. Even top wide receivers usually take more than their first preseason to develop.

And he's not ready, which is all I said. Also, I'm not sure where the spoiled line comes from though, given this team's struggles with young WRs post Branch/Givens. Some will forget that 3 of 5 are rookies, but I think most will understand that and take it into account.

Agreed.

One needs to understand WHY Dobson was not playing with the first team and why he had so few catches from Brady. If Dobson was more ready, he would have gotten more catches from Brady than Edelman.

It was supposed to be a simplistic response. Dobson's problems have been easy to see and independent of the QB involved, and they have been discussed in this thread (see my post not long before yours for one example).

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back