PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Ozymandias

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
4 preseason games in and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the quality of his play thus far. He was struggling to gain separation on third stringers and looked allergic to contact, route running looked lazy and his hands suspect.

Dobson has a long, long way to go before he's ever a meaningful contributor for their offense it would seem. I expect lots of gameday inactives on his part if this is how he expects to get the job done in the NFL when the games actually start to matter.

Separation isn't as much of a problem as people are making it out to be. Shying away from contact is probably a bigger problem than people are making it out to be.

He's finding that it's harder to be successful when you're not so much bigger and stronger than the guy defending you. I'm glad they have Thompkins so Dobson doesn't have to be a #2 WR right away, but I'm not worried about Dobson long term as long as he'll put in the work.

The bottom line is that four rookies looked better than he did receiving the ball in the preseason.

Re: Re: Aaron Dobson

4 preseason games in and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the quality of his play thus far. He was struggling to gain separation on third stringers and looked allergic to contact, route running looked lazy and his hands suspect.

Dobson has a long, long way to go before he's ever a meaningful contributor for their offense it would seem. I expect lots of gameday inactives on his part if this is how he expects to get the job done in the NFL when the games actually start to matter.

I said this in game thread - I have not fallen in love with Dobson in the preseason, I still hope to in the regular season.

Unless he has some great practices, he won't be active very much in the regular season. We have plenty of options with Amedola, Thompkins, Boyce, Edelman, Gronkowski, Sudfeld, Vereen and the rest.

I said this in game thread - I have not fallen in love with Dobson in the preseason, I still hope to in the regular season.

It doesn't really matter if Dobson doesn't pan out because Thomkins looks like he should have been a second round pick at the very least and Boyce looks decent. Throw in Sudfeld and our receiver batch in this draft looks like a good haul even if Dobson's a bust.

Randy Moss has set a ridiculous level of comparison for future Patriots Wide Receivers.

I'm not going to pretend that I didn't prefer Markus Wheaton as I'm on record saying that, however, Dobson will be afforded every opportunity to make his mark as a Patriots player.

Dobson has my support. You can't teach height.

I like his upside but I think he's going to take longer to develop than Thompkins and Boyce. I'm willing to be patient with the kid cause I like what he brings to the table physically.

He seems to not be impressive but this is preseason. Put him with Tom working his magic and I think dobs will be better. But we aren't really relying on him as much as thompkins.

he's Brandon Lloyd he will not get open but if he's one on one you can throw it up and he will find a way to get it, he may never become a star but he just may be that david givens type player that makes big plays in the post season and that's what I am hoping for

He was doomed when he got Taylor Price's number.

He is Charmin soft...acts like he doesn't even want to catch the damn ball.

FIGHT FOR IT Mr. Marshall! :D

If he played like Steve Smith, he would be a bonafide boss!

I had really high hopes for Dobson too--I thought he would have at least middle-tier NFL speed and agility for a WR. It's amazing how college highlight videos can deceive you.

He is a rookie so we know confidence can be a volatile thing. Since guys like Thompkins are getting all the glory and hype with their early success, Dobson could be a bit down mentally and not be engaged with the team as much.

I'm content sticking him in for select plays and red zone fades. It may well be predictable but very few defenders will be able to stop him doing that. Not all guys develop right away. Give him time...he may come good as the season goes on.

I'm content sticking him in for select plays and red zone fades. It may well be predictable but very few defenders will be able to stop him doing that. Not all guys develop right away. Give him time...he may come good as the season goes on.
I'm hopeful that he's the tall outside Red Zone presence at WR the Patriots have lacked since Moss. We've seen what type of glue he has on his hands.

Dobson's a bust.
Way too early to be throwing out the 'B' word. We can all agree on the 'S' word - soft - however. His physicality is Lloyd-esque so far. Thank god for Kenbrell Thompkins.

I still think he can develop into something though, but he needs to toughen up. This is the NFL not NCAA.

I can't believe people are knocking dobson for not fighting on that severely underthrown ball by mallett.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back