PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A trio of possible sliders due to various issues at DT

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Would you trade up for any of these guys if they slip to around 20? Last year I thought
Derwin James was gonna slide. I badly wanted to move up for him on night 1 of draft.
I think 2/3 of these will slide.

1. Jeffrey Simmons - DT - Miss St - Punched his girl-friend in high school. Not invited to combine because of it.

2. D. Lawrence - NG - Clemson - Suspended for NCAA Playoffs. Marijuana?? Could slide all the way to 32.

3. Ed Oliver - DT - Houston - Some really, really like him. Others think he's a bit over-rated and not a Top 10 prospect. I'd be real interested in moving up for him if he falls to late teens.

If Simmons gets passed scummy teams that have no issues with domestic abusers like the Bengals, Ravens, and Chiefs, his issues are severe.

I think Lawrence has been sliding from what I’ve heard. I’m not sure if he’d require a trade up.

Oliver would be fun. I think he’ll go higher than an area if feel comfortable trading to price wise.

Greg Gaines as a massive run stuffer and Albert Huggins, Lawrence’s teammate at Clemson, are interesting big bodies later on in the draft.

Would you trade up for any of these guys if they slip to around 20? Last year I thought
Derwin James was gonna slide. I badly wanted to move up for him on night 1 of draft.

1. Jeffrey Simmons - DT - Miss St - Punched his girl-friend in high school. Not invited to combine because of it.

2. D. Lawrence - NG - Clemson - Suspended for NCAA Playoffs. Marijuana?? Could slide all the way to 32.

3. Ed Oliver - DT - Houston - Some really, really like him. Others think he's a bit over-rated and not a Top 10 prospect. I'd be real interested in moving up for him if he falls to late teens.

1. NEVER. Hit a woman is a no for me
2. No
3. No

Wilkins yes

I don't think that she was his girlfriend. His family member got in a fight and he intervened. He made the poor decision to keep hitting the attacker while she was down. I'd defend a family member, too, although the size difference makes it look pretty bad. But this was when he was in high school, he's apologized, and he's been a model citizen since then. I'd still take him on this team, although I'm sure he'll be drafted top 10 / 15.

Lawrence is a big body, but he's not a Wilfork. He's an athletic slanter / penetrator. He may have better lateral agility than Shelton, but I don't know if he's an entire tier above.

Oliver is prone to the same issues as Donald. Incredible one-gap player. Small, though, and can be had against the run. I don't think he fits here, but he should be a very good player somewhere.

Supposedly Lawrence failed for PED not bud.

Out of the 3 I think Simmons might be the best fit but I doubt New England drafts the player.

Unless you really believe Lawrence is a game changer as a pass rusher Im not trading up.

I'd be very tempted if Oliver fell around 20 but not 100%

Oliver>Lawrence>Simmons

No shot Simmons gets picked by NE with the domestic abuse background

Personally love Lawrence, but Oliver to me on talent alone is worthy of the top pick, think he may be a cancer however

Only DTs I expect back in '19 is Guy and Butler, but would welcome back Brown for sure for cheap

Ed Oliver - he has the toolset to be Donald.

I’d be surprised if he fell though, if he does it’s because of his weight.

His tape is unbelievable, beats two blockers with ease at time with his speed to power. Violent hands.

He’s good in the run game as well. If he fell to 20 mark I’d be happy with trading up to get him.

He’s a pro bowl type of guy in his first season and more than likely all pro too.

His combine will be important for him to see how he runs, his functional strength as well as his weight. He is a game changer on that D-line

Last edited:
Oliver is a pure 1 gap DT. At 280 pounds, he is kind of small for an interior lineman.

Simmons was a beast in the sec, but again is a 1 Gapper. The incident from high school is troubling, but his time in Starkville has been clean.

Lawrence is the best two gapper and run stuffer of the bunch. But if you watch enough tape, you see him get pushed around and worse yet, turned around. In the 2017 semi final game against Alabama, he was physically dominated. Very bad tape.

Like to hear your take on Dre’Mont Jones. There is no buzz about him. On the draft highlight video’s he seems unblockable.

Like to hear your take on Dre’Mont Jones. There is no buzz about him. On the draft highlight video’s he seems unblockable.

Really active hands and nice lateral movement. Impressive as a pass rusher. But is a pure one gap defender. Could not be a DT in our defense except as a pass rusher,

I like three dt’s in this draft,

1.) Simmons. If he interviews well, he would make a great pick at 32. Strong run defender and can rush the passer.

2.) slayton of Syracuse. I like his tape. But he needs to get stronger and bigger. Future starter after a red shirt year.

3.) Alexander of LSU, big two gap run defender, every thing brown never developed into.

If Lawrence or Oliver ake it to #32 I would sprint up to the podium to get one of them (preferably Lawrence)

Rashan Gary may fall as well, he is too small to be DT and some teams may not like him at DE. I think he would be a good fit for LDE (Ninko, Flowers, etc.)

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Rashan Gary | NFL.com

For Gary, falling would mean he drops to the teens or early twenties. I don't think we'll have a shot unless we trade up for him. He's rumored to have incredible testing results, but his tape is too inconsistent for me to feel comfortable with him as a 1st rounder. We'll see how it shakes out, but he's an odd evaluation.

Simmons was a beast in the sec, but again is a 1 Gapper. The incident from high school is troubling, but his time in Starkville has been clean.
No, sir. He’s more than that. Jarvis Green and Richard Seymour rolled into one.

Fantastic value at the end of the first, which some consider the second round.

Total Bill, not bull.

I'd have no issue taking Simmons. From all reports he has nothing but a model student in high school and college, bar the one episode where he punched a woman. However, as is often the case, the incident in question is a lot more complex than the synopsis getting played out in the media.

The woman he hit was from a family that had been repeatedly threatening members of his family. She wasn't a girlfriend or some random girl. She attacked his sister, he broke them up, restraining them and keeping them apart as best he could. Then the woman in question, attacked his sister again and Simmons snapped and lashed out, punching her repeatedly. Not acceptable or excusable behavior, but, for me at least, understandable. It wasn't your typical "drunk footballer punches girl who's annoying him" type of incident.

All reports state he's a good kid, who made a terrible decision in a horrible situation, and I believe he deserves his chance.

Oliver is a pure 1 gap DT. At 280 pounds, he is kind of small for an interior lineman.

Lawrence is the best two gapper and run stuffer of the bunch. But if you watch enough tape, you see him get pushed around and worse yet, turned around. In the 2017 semi final game against Alabama, he was physically dominated. Very bad tape.
These post are becoming laughable. So far out there in.

I'd take Oliver or Simmons all day.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back