PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A successful offseason

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
All our holes won’t be fixed in one offseason but what would you call a successful offseason?

Entering camp I want to have a solid answer at NT, and QB1 for the future (doesn’t have to be week 1 but someone who no doubt will be able to take over at any time and make it their team. They don’t have that guy right now). TE or WR1 is a must-have. Both would be nice but I won’t get greedy. Also one ILB and Hightower insurance. Also signing either Andrews or Thuney.

Nice to have: more RB depth, CB, DE

I would be ok with another shot at a bridge QB if the braintrust wants to use picks and ressources on key building blocks. But, I want the QB situation addressed in a «future starter » / potential future starter along the way.

I don’t believe in spending the next decade’s first rounders reaching for starting QB. If they see one they like, fine, but Trubisky/Wentz type reaches for big picks... pass.

Address the QB and receivers/tight ends.

All our holes won’t be fixed in one offseason but what would you call a successful offseason?

Entering camp I want to have a solid answer at NT, and QB1 for the future (doesn’t have to be week 1 but someone who no doubt will be able to take over at any time and make it their team. They don’t have that guy right now). TE or WR1 is a must-have. Both would be nice but I won’t get greedy. Also one ILB and Hightower insurance. Also signing either Andrews or Thuney.

I really don't concern myself with winning the off-season, that's for the Jete, but I will play along since the season is over. I have given up on them drafting a WR1. That's not going to happen, it's the one thing Bill sucks at. I would like them to get, via draft, FA or trade a wide body to stop the run game. Big Vince type. the QB situation is a must. They won't win chit with another season of poor QB like we saw this year. Sign Hunter Henry. Make sure the O line stays solid. Draft a young stud LB to fill High's shoes when he retires. Draft another stud safety to fill in when McCourty/Chung leave. Sign a bunch of Anthony Pleasant, Mike Vrabel, Roman Pfiefer types that make big impacts without being flashy signings.

My measure of a successful offseason would be 11-5, return to the playoffs, and not worry about the QB position for 3-5 years. But we can't really talk about that until a year from now, so ...
Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

FiRe BeLiChEcK

No...just get a QB1 that will at least be competitive and have some TE's to throw to. We will be beind the Bills and possibly the Fins for a while.

Off Season Goals
  • Quarterback - Free Agency, Draft, whatever. Find One.
  • Fattie for the D Line
  • Resign Key Free Agents - Thuney, Andrews, White, Guy, Folk, Jackson

QB QB QB
Get as many opt outs back and re-sign the key free agents. Draft well.
Any big ticket free agents would be gravy.

We need a stellar QB that fits our system, either through the draft (preferable) or free agency. Everything else can be coached up or filled in around the QB. Without one we got squat.

i expect vet LB signings, although there's a couple that could be there at 15 that i'd be ok with

need to address WR somehow......again, could see one at 15, could not lol

resign FA's - need to make sure OL is in shape one way or another for whomever lines up under center

DL

going to see a QB.......i fully expect a vet sign, don't expect to see one drafted until at least day 2, but the way this year has gone so far, who knows

QB: Obviously. Hoping for JG. With worst case of Fitzpatrick with draftee/developmental guy.

RB: Wouldn't do anything with other needs. Harris/Michel/Bolden/(White or Taylor) should suffice. (do nothing doesn't mean totally ignore, a late round shot is fine. Just no high pick or big money).

TE: Clearly a need. If we can't get Henry then I am fine with Jonnu Smith or Gerald Everett. Has to be a legit starter while hoping Assiasi/Keene develop.

WR : Have to get a WR who would have been our #1 last year. Doesn't have to be a true #1 but even someone like Curtis Samuel would be a good fit with Meyers and better than what we had last year.

OL: Might take an OT high (round 1 or 2). Cutting Cannon saves $7M and Wynn is heading into his last year unless the 5th year option is picked up.

DL: Total rebuild. Guy returning would be nice but he's got lots of miles on him now.

LB: Total rebuild. Hopefully Hightower returns but even then he's getting older and who knows what returns after a year off. Could be refreshed but could be soft and calls it quits in August.

(for front seven overall, really need Winovich and Uche to become good starters, they could be part of the "total rebuild" of the front seven). .

DB: Good for now depending on Gilmore/Jackson.

K: Cheap whether it's Folk/Rohwasaer or whoever.

Basic plan :

Hope to get JG then Smith (TE), Samuel (or equivalents at TE/WR). Cut Cannon. That would use up about $35-40M (including $7M savings from Cannon, would be about the same $45M of contracts. Extending and backloading JG money would mean less spending) and either our #1 or #2 for OT

The rest goes to rebuilding the Front Seven. I think it's doable with the (#1 or #2) and the comp #3 plus $35M or so.

My plan dies if we don't get JG or equivalent (no worse than average vet starter).

Last edited:
Well I would count out Allen Robinson.

Do you feel a major void in your life if you don't initiate 1 thread / day?

Is today's "A Successful Offseason" thread a different topic than your "Tick Tock Bill" thread from yesterday?

So, barring an unexpected cut or trade, here are our hardcore needs...

QB1
QB2
WR
DT
DE
LB

Possible needs...

OG/C
TE
FS
CB
3DRB

The possible needs depend on whether they sign Thuney, Andrews, or both. For TE, that depends on how they feel about Keene and Asiasi. Both had pure **** rookie seasons but spent a lot of time on the shelf as well. FS depends on how they feel about DMac at this point. Does he become trade bait? Same with Gilmore. Not sure why we would trade him but he did sustain an injury at the end of the season, has a high cap hit, and is on the wrong side of 30. 3rd down RB depends on whether White comes back or rides into the sunset down in Tampa. WR may be a need times two. Harry is trending firmly into bust territory until proven otherwise and Edelman is long in the tooth and looks like a shade of the player he used to be.

A successful offseason to me would be addressing 3 issues - 1) QB1. A vet to at least hold down the fort even if we decide to not draft the future at the position this year. 2) NT. This needs to be a 0/3-tech that can either line up on the nose or on the outside shoulder between the C and G. A toilet clogger is, by far and away, the second biggest need right behind QB. I would not be surprised if this was actually addressed with our top overall pick unless someone like Wilson falls or we trade up. Bill is probably as tired of getting gashed on the ground as much as we are. NT has been a need since 2017. You can only scheme around that hole for so long. 3) WR. They need someone who can take the top off the defense, ideally. Aside from Byrd, who rarely played to his timed speed, this is probably one of the slower receiver corps in the league. Defenses can sit in different variations of Cover-1 or even Cover-0 and not have to worry about getting beaten over the top. Essentially, they’ve been able to play this offense as if we are constantly in the red zone. Meyers is morphing into a solid WR2 and may even be able to take over the role in the slot of Edelman is done/gone. We need someone that will be able to get that second safety out of the box so we can exploit defenses down the seams.

If they fill these three needs while at least trying to address most of the rest, I will consider it a good offseason. But filling these three are paramount to the 2021 team’s success, IMO.

So, barring an unexpected cut or trade, here are our hardcore needs...

QB1
QB2
WR
DT
DE
LB

Possible needs...

OG/C
TE
FS
CB
3DRB

The possible needs depend on whether they sign Thuney, Andrews, or both. For TE, that depends on how they feel about Keene and Asiasi. Both had pure **** rookie seasons but spent a lot of time on the shelf as well. FS depends on how they feel about DMac at this point. Does he become trade bait? Same with Gilmore. Not sure why we would trade him but he did sustain an injury at the end of the season, has a high cap hit, and is on the wrong side of 30. 3rd down RB depends on whether White comes back or rides into the sunset down in Tampa. WR may be a need times two. Harry is trending firmly into bust territory until proven otherwise and Edelman is long in the tooth and looks like a shade of the player he used to be.

A successful offseason to me would be addressing 3 issues - 1) QB1. A vet to at least hold down the fort even if we decide to not draft the future at the position this year. 2) NT. This needs to be a 0/3-tech that can either line up on the nose or on the outside shoulder between the C and G. A toilet clogger is, by far and away, the second biggest need right behind QB. I would not be surprised if this was actually addressed with our top overall pick unless someone like Wilson falls or we trade up. Bill is probably as tired of getting gashed on the ground as much as we are. NT has been a need since 2017. You can only scheme around that hole for so long. 3) WR. They need someone who can take the top off the defense, ideally. Aside from Byrd, who rarely played to his timed speed, this is probably one of the slower receiver corps in the league. Defenses can sit in different variations of Cover-1 or even Cover-0 and not have to worry about getting beaten over the top. Essentially, they’ve been able to play this offense as if we are constantly in the red zone. Meyers is morphing into a solid WR2 and may even be able to take over the role in the slot of Edelman is done/gone. We need someone that will be able to get that second safety out of the box so we can exploit defenses down the seams.

If they fill these three needs while at least trying to address most of the rest, I will consider it a good offseason. But filling these three are paramount to the 2021 team’s success, IMO.
Don't worry. I have been told $60 million will fix all the holes overnight.

I'm looking at 2020 with the same lens I did in 2000.

Purge the roster of players who don't want to be here (check).
Clean up the cap (check).
Draft well (2020 is looking like a decent one).
Improve the overall talent base (TBD).
Make the playoffs the following year (TBD)

Don't worry. I have been told $60 million will fix all the holes overnight.
Hah. Sounds like someone with absolutely no life whose happiness is tied to the team. THEY HAVE TO WIN NOW OMG11!!/ Middle finger way up to team building and setting a foundation for the future.

Hah. Sounds like someone with absolutely no life whose happiness is tied to the team. THEY HAVE TO WIN NOW OMG11!!/ Middle finger way up to team building and setting a foundation for the future.
I think people are thinking this will be just one down season. I am under the impression next year may be even worse as the real rebuild will be in process. I think it is 2-3 more years before we are a real contender again.

I think people are thinking this will be just one down season. I am under the impression next year may be even worse as the real rebuild will be in process. I think it is 2-3 more years before we are a real contender again.
Depends on what we do at QB. If the team panics and trades a king’s ransom for Wentz, for example, a 2-3 year rebuild will become a 5-6 year rebuild, or longer.

Depends on what we do at QB. If the team panics and trades a king’s ransom for Wentz, for example, a 2-3 year rebuild will become a 5-6 year rebuild, or longer.
I am operating under the impression (hope) that we don't sell out for some bridge QB and develop a young guy. Unless it is Watson I would rather build through the draft.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back