Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you make the trade in the post below?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO
JJ has serious back health concerns plus just a few years left
If I believe half of what's posted here, we could draft a whole defensive line for what we'll get for JAG /sarc

I would make this trade yesterday, anyone who says no is pretty stupid.

Jimmy might not even be good, RG3 was good for a few games, getting a sure fire HOFer at 27 years old for a question mark.

You're going to get much less when Jimmy plays out his contact and refuses to sign anything and you have to franchise him and lose all trade leverage.

This forum suffers such delusion, almost half would rather have a backup QB who will be gone in 12 months than 3x defensive player of the year :D:D

There are a lot of things to consider before one would make a trade like this, so it's pretty out there in left field to suggest people are stupid for thinking the implications

For starters, Watt has one of the biggest contracts in the entire league. Are you going to trade for a guy and make him the single highest paid member of the team by a lot?

Secondly, Watt just had a similar back injury to Gronk that he was rushed back from and ended up messing it up even more and missing the entire season. .. so a lot would depend on his long term prognosis

3rd, the Patriots have a deluge of free agents coming up. Guys that have been in this system and proven themselves, so I'd want to make some of them a priority

I thought watt was 29, but apparently is only 27, so that does make it a bit more enticing.. but Hightower needs to get paid and I'd rather give someone like him the money than an outsider like Watt

no freaking way

why help a potential playoff rival get the only piece they need?

as for JJ Watt, I'd rather have Mercilus
Yep Mercilus is the guy I want.

I would make this trade yesterday, anyone who says no is pretty stupid.

Jimmy might not even be good, RG3 was good for a few games, getting a sure fire HOFer at 27 years old for a question mark.

You're going to get much less when Jimmy plays out his contact and refuses to sign anything and you have to franchise him and lose all trade leverage.

This forum suffers such delusion, almost half would rather have a backup QB who will be gone in 12 months than 3x defensive player of the year :D:D

Well the poll currently shows 25 smart people like the trade idea, while 30 stupid people are against.

Got any more definitive proclamations to make, just so we stupid people should know what to think?

Watts cap hit the next few years would look like this

For the best defensive player in the league (when healthy) that's not crippling anyone's cap. In fact, that would be far cheaper than what BB was paying Seymour, in a comparative cap climate.

So you can have serious concerns about his back issues, albeit which is crazy cause none of us know the severity of it. But If you are telling me you would say no to a trade for watt when we lose not a single starter or high draft choice, Blind homerisn has hit new heights.

My initial thought before reading the thread was whoa flowers and watt being moved all over coming for your QB....that would be sick! Then my next thought was hmm how much is his cap hit? Seeing as the next 3 years with all the guarantees and signing bonus gone are fairly reasonable and he is only 27 I would be very ok with a 3 year rental On a guy who when he is on is the best defender in the league. The pats defense would have the potential to be the best in the league for the next 3 years. With enough money left over to still pay high and butler. Might have to let Logan ryan, Harmon go but I expect somebody to blow them away with above average starter money anyway. I am still not in the I would drive him to the airport myself crowd as depending on if they get a top 5 pick for Grip I think I would take that but I certainly would not be upset by this move

Heard a couple of national pundits this week about how Houston D is actually better without Watt... not sure why, but interesting take...

His average salary cap hit for the next 5 years averages about 15.5 million a year, as good as he is that cap hit would dismantle the economics of the Patriots..

Do not like this deal.. rather the draft picks, than a guy with back injury problems..

Looks like Houston Sports Talk Radio has entered the abyss of offseason speculation bullshyt..
You mention the $15MM annual salary cap hit. But the thing is when you trade for a player you don't trade the salary cap hits, you trade JUST for the annual salaries. I'd be willing to bet that only $7-9MM of that cap hit is actual annual salary maybe less. THAT is what would end up on his Pats salary cap. And a couple of years of JJ Watt for around a $8 or $9MM cap hit is a bargain.

So, why would the Texans want to trade Watt?

Are they stupid, or do they know something others don't?

why do we need Watts? we dont ever play elite offenses

no deal. i keep the QB. i only think about making a trade if we get back what the eagles got for sam bradford.

Did everyone miss that the deal also includes the Pats top pick or am I just being stupid? Never mind, don't answer that. :)

I'd rather have a high draft pick and draft Solomon Thomas

I'd have to consider it, and it'd probably come down to either Houston renegotiating JJ's contract to include more bonus money (that Houston then pays out) and less yearly salary (that NE would be responsible for), or JJ just taking a pay cut to try for rings.

At his salary cap numbers this is a terrible trade, but if they were lower? A couple years of a dominant player with health issues, versus a QB prospect that doesn't have much chance of sticking around in New England but has flashed excellence, is a pretty reasonable trade given where both teams stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back