Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you make the trade in the post below?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of things to consider most critically the cap implications. Remember on a lot of these big deals a lot of the money comes up front and the actual salaries are lower year to year. (see how Brady's deal worked). So if traded to us, all we would responsible for would be the yearly salaries and most of the guarantees would be gone. So on closer inspection it probably wouldn't be as big a cap hit as you might think.

2nd, on the surface it's a complete no brainer. You are giving up a player who really has no future on your team other than a back up, for a truly great versatile defensive player who excells at the most impactful position on Defense. A guy who makes everyone around him so much better.

3rd. His back injury is a concern, but even if I knew I would only get 2 productive seasons out of him, I'd make this deal in heart beat. Again, for what you give up, those 2 years would be worth it.

4th. It also makes sense to the Texans. They proved they can play good defense without Watt, and only need a competent QB to become an annual competitor. JG might be even better than that. They have proven they can be a playoff team even without a QB. This will give them what THEY need, and the Pats get what THEY need.

JG is going to be moved this off season. If they get a mid round first and a 4th, I'd be thrilled. If they got JJ Watt, I'd be extactic. There would be no words for my joy

Unfortunately its only a fantasy.

For the cap reasons stated it doesn't make sense but I'll miss the Watt and Gronk ad campaigns that would have come about.

Heard a couple of national pundits this week about how Houston D is actually better without Watt... not sure why, but interesting take...

His average salary cap hit for the next 5 years averages about 15.5 million a year, as good as he is that cap hit would dismantle the economics of the Patriots..

Do not like this deal.. rather the draft picks, than a guy with back injury problems..

Looks like Houston Sports Talk Radio has entered the abyss of offseason speculation bullshyt..

Constant injuries with watt. I would not make this trade.

JJ Watt signed a 6 year 100 million dollar extension. Brady doesn't make more than that. No way is that a smart trade. That would destroy our salary cap. Watt is a great player, but we wouldn't be able to keep anybody on our roster if we had him.

It's a hypothetical, I know. I wouldn't trade Jimmy + 1st. But straight-up?

Watt's contract contains a ton of guarantees that would accelerate onto the Texans. They would have a dead money hit of around $20M (edit: around $10M if traded).

For us, you're looking at around $11-$13M a year for the next 3 years before it spikes over the last 2 years to $15.5/$17.5M, with no guaranteed money other than his 2017 salary of $10.5M, which isn't an issue unless you're planning on cutting him the same year you trade for him.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad deal. It would depend on health obviously. But the contract isn't as prohibitive as you think.

JJ Watt Contract

Last edited:
Constant injuries with watt. I would not make this trade.
This year was his first year missing a game.

He's 27 years old.

He is the Gronk of defense.

My major concern is that there are rumors he'll need to play a lot lighter than 295.

If he's just going to be a sub rusher and play 60% of the snaps, HOU needs to give up their 1st rounder still. He might need to redo his deal. Not sure how he'd fit in the locker room either

Last edited:
As a poster mentioned above, JJW is probably a 3 year rental due to his injury concerns, but JG could be a franchise QB, so... gimme my picks. Btw what is the cap hit, for JJW next year?

Edit: just saw jjw contract, yikes, No way BB goes for it

If Watt can be made to understand the TEAM implications of the salary cap the way Tom Brady does, then maybe.

Chances of that happening - zero.

Not in favor of the deal, but one good thing is that neither guy is likely to get injured...

The cap money being traded to Houston in that deal could be worth more than either player in 2017, depending on what the Pats do with it.

If the Patriots got Watt, the PED ban hammer would come down so fast, they wouldn't know what hit them. :)

Watt's better days are behind him. He's our version of Gronk... can't stay on the field.

I would make this trade yesterday, anyone who says no is pretty stupid.

Jimmy might not even be good, RG3 was good for a few games, getting a sure fire HOFer at 27 years old for a question mark.

You're going to get much less when Jimmy plays out his contact and refuses to sign anything and you have to franchise him and lose all trade leverage.

This forum suffers such delusion, almost half would rather have a backup QB who will be gone in 12 months than 3x defensive player of the year :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft