PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Frustrating Observation On N'Keal Harry

Here's another. 2018 Gronk 680 yards, allen 20 yards. How is this another good example you cite ? If we stack it up it's like 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 as evidence that Josh McDaniels has no clue how to use tight ends, especially 2 pass catching TEs at the same time.

If you're going to lie, don't do it where it can be debunked so easily.

Here's another. 2018 Gronk 680 yards, allen 20 yards. How is this another good example you cite ?
Are you saying Dwayne Allen was a very good TE who should have caught 60-70 balls easily in this offense and it was Josh who kept him down?
If we stack it up it's like 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 as evidence that Josh McDaniels has no clue how to use tight ends, especially 2 pass catching TEs at the same time.
I think we've broken down all the years enough in prior posts and called out those in which the team had two TEs who were good receivers and those squads which were limited to one good receiving TE.
If you're going to lie, don't do it where it can be debunked so easily.

By whom? You? Keep trying.

All I’ve got to say is Ben Watson in 2007 was a massive disappointment. With all the attention on Moss, Welker and Stallworth, he would’ve had favorable matchups with LB’s, but he was nowhere to be found. With his hyped up athletic ability, he should’ve owned the middle of the field. His infamous stone hands didn’t help.

Going forward the rest of the season, barring any major injuries/Covid ****, I bet Harry won’t get over 50% snaps a game.

@Ian, how about Mac? Was there plays to be made or our skill position just sucks?
I don’t understand what he sees when he releases his deep balls. They have concerned me a bit but need to get hands on 22s to validate discard my Mac concerns.
I don’t really know what the issue is there. A lot of those deep throws in tight coverage - surprisingly - end up in the hands of the receiver but they don’t make the play because they’re hit when the ball gets there because the coverage has been tough.

Overall, he’s actually got really good accuracy from that standpoint. But it’s just been difficult with the way teams have been playing them as of late and they’ve missed a few of the opportunities they’ve had. But Mac has been fairly solid in that area and he’s not the problem.

Although one thing I did notice, and I could be wrong, but I think he’s a little sore these days because he’s not quite as gutsy waiting and stepping up at the last minute with a defender bearing down recently the way he was earlier in the season. He’s taken some unreal shots, so I’m definitely fine with him getting a little better when it comes to self-preservation.

3rd round pick. NKeal Harry and Chad Jackson were worse picks. All 3 by the way picked with McD as OC. Same guy who moved up to take Tim Tebow in the 1st round.
True.

stop blaming McD for everything. Bill made the picks.

It is what it is (Coach). As Patriot fans we gotta hope he concentrates more and does his job. Mac gonna need him to play well down the stretch. Mac needs all the offensive players to get on board or it's gonna be a long offseason. Come on Men of the Patriots, time to FIGHT!

I don’t really know what the issue is there. A lot of those deep throws in tight coverage - surprisingly - end up in the hands of the receiver but they don’t make the play because they’re hit when the ball gets there because the coverage has been tough.

Overall, he’s actually got really good accuracy from that standpoint. But it’s just been difficult with the way teams have been playing them as of late and they’ve missed a few of the opportunities they’ve had. But Mac has been fairly solid in that area and he’s not the problem.

Although one thing I did notice, and I could be wrong, but I think he’s a little sore these days because he’s not quite as gutsy waiting and stepping up at the last minute with a defender bearing down recently the way he was earlier in the season. He’s taken some unreal shots, so I’m definitely fine with him getting a little better when it comes to self-preservation.
Even some of the completed throws have made me a little wary lately. He is throwing some balls into very tight coverage and that is a recipe for disaster. He threw one to Meyers (I think) with a corner in his pocket and we were lucky the ball was just batted down and not batted upwards and picked off. I also agree that there may be some left preservation going on and I think that hand injury is bothering him somewhat. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road and he can get right down the stretch here.

Reactions: Ian
While we all really want Harry gone,
Once they knew they were going to bring Harry back, they should have had him pack on some pounds, and had him work as a small TE.
He can't even figure out how to play WR, how is he going to pick up the second hardest position in the offense?

3rd round pick. NKeal Harry and Chad Jackson were worse picks. All 3 by the way picked with McD as OC. Same guy who moved up to take Tim Tebow in the 1st round.
Same guy who drafted Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, Mannings top 2 receivers when he threw for 5400 yards. Also had 500 yards to his primary RB drafted by McD.

Yeah, that's the strange thing about Harry. He was asking for a trade in the off season, he was so easy to send packing, fans would have supported it, but nope, he's still in the lineup and getting a large number of snaps.
That would require someone wanting him.

Once they knew they were going to bring Harry back, they should have had him pack on some pounds, and had him work as a small TE.
I was hoping they would turn him into a poor man's Aaron Hernandez and make him an H back type of player but I don’t think he has the short area quickness that Hernandez did. I would assume in a 40 yard dash Harry would have beat Hernandez 9 out of 10 times but Harry just doesn't seem to have that "football speed" like AH did. Harry couldn't make someone miss if his life depended on it and for being 6'2 225 lbs he isn't very physical either. Hernandez was exceptionally nimble and routinely made guys miss on those short quick throws in addition to being great at high pointing the ball. At this point I don’t think there is anything Harry can do well outside of blocking in the run game.

I don't have a problem with attempting to draft at the position, you never know until you try.

Harry seemed like an Interesting prospect, maybe shared Anquan Boldin qualities. It just never translated. He doesn't seem to have a particularly high motor, and seems to lack enthusiasm out there. He has tools to be solid, not great, but he'll never realize his potential.

I'm fine with moving on after this year, he's not worth the roster spot.
I think hunk I remember his draft profile compared him to Mike Evans. SMH

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back