PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Couple Of Rumours For What They're Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Receivers don't depend on the health of their feet? What nonsensical statements did I make.

Brady is a proven quarterback who relies very little on his foot speed and cutting.

Jones is one of a pool of players who have yet to prove anything in the NFL and he had to have a screw implanted in his foot.

Whoa, whoa....does Brady rely much on foot speed and cutting? No. Does he rely much on his feet to drop back from center, moving around in the pocket, running away from pressure, planting one foot and stepping into the throw with the other, and running up to the line of scrimmage in the no-huddle? Yup.

The fact that Jones put up some up some sick numbers at the Combine with a hairline fracture in his foot is amazing. Unless the doctors say that he's at an increased risk of re-breaking his foot, I have no problem taking him in the first.

Colin Kaepernik turned in a 40 on his Wonderlic, to go with his 6'5" 4.5 40 time and rocket arm. He is the only QB to rush for 1000 yards and throw for 2000 yards in a season. And he has done it a couple of times. But as a spread QB he will need two or three years to be ready for the NFL. I like him as a Pat's developmental QB. Kevin O'Connell but much smarter, more POISEd, and more talented.

O'Connell had the highest Wonderlic score among QBs in 2008.

In fact, he had all the measurables . . . but couldn't cut it here.

Not trying to bash Kaepernick, just trying to point out that there's not much he brings to the table—other than poise, perhaps—that O'Connell didn't.

O'Connell had the highest Wonderlic score among QBs in 2008.

In fact, he had all the measurables . . . but couldn't cut it here.

Not trying to bash Kaepernick, just trying to point out that there's not much he brings to the table—other than poise, perhaps—that O'Connell didn't.
Physically, I think there's a slightly different mentality to their approach.

Personally, I think the Julio Jones rumor is very plausible. WRs in the first aren't my style and haven't historically been BB's either, but if there ever were a guy to break that pattern it would be an elite athlete with no character red flags who's a great blocker and...this is the biggie...comes straight from Nick Saban.

However, I suspect it will all be moot once the Bengals choose Jones over Green.

Personally, I think the Julio Jones rumor is very plausible. WRs in the first aren't my style and haven't historically been BB's either, but if there ever were a guy to break that pattern it would be an elite athlete with no character red flags who's a great blocker and...this is the biggie...comes straight from Nick Saban.

However, I suspect it will all be moot once the Bengals choose Jones over Green.

If not, I don't think Jones gets past Cleveland anyway.

I'd love to see the Patriots move up if their is a player they truly covet that's available. According to the value chart, it would cost them their #60 and maybe a stocking stuffer to get up into the #9 slot Dallas has. I'd personally prefer they pick someone to play inside the defensive front 7. A pass rusher preferentially.

Last edited:
Adrian Peterson two mega knee injuries while in college. Twice as serious as any foot injuries.

Peterson is outstanding

Maybe we should try to trade up for skill players with knee injuries or screws in their feet.

I'm, always open to a different philosophy.

Maybe we should try to trade up for skill players with knee injuries or screws in their feet.

Brady and Welker would make that list, and MANY teams would give away the farm to get their hands on those guys. If a player can get the job done that's all that matters.

Brady and Welker would make that list, and MANY teams would give away the farm to get their hands on those guys. If a player can get the job done that's all that matters.

I think a 3-4 DE with a broken leg and an OLB with rickets would be more of an improvement overall.

Yes, but those players are proven NFL veterans who have demonstrated their ability to be elite or near elite players in the NFL against NFL competition after their injuries. They are not rookies who by definition are serious projection risks even if they are healthy and pristine much less injured.

Are you a cranky old man?:confused:

LT - UFA
LG - Unhappy, probably last year
RG - Retired
Backup RB - Retiring
Both Starting WR - FA after this year.

Good luck :)

Welker isn't a free agent until after the 2012 season. That's 2 seasons yet.

And lets just forget that they have Tate, Edelman and Price on the roster :rolleyes:

And lets just forget that they have Tate, Edelman and Price on the roster :rolleyes:

If we could trade players in this draft and Atlanta was willing to give up a third, that could become a conditional 2nd in the 2012 draft, I would trade Welker to them in a heartbeat.

Can't post a link because of my post count, but Welker is absolutely a FA after the 2011 season. I don't know where you heard otherwise. But I bet he's here for the long run anyway.

I don't think anybody's arguing WR is the team's top need. But I fail to see how anybody can vehemently object to the idea that it's a top 5 need. We have 6 picks in the top 100, and the way the value in the draft is distributed, it makes sense to go up and get Jones so long as he doesn't cost more than the 60th or 74th with the 17th. Getting Jones is not forfeiting the draft. We can still spend multiple high picks on the OL and front seven.

I'm going to make an admittedly extreme claim: the Patriots put out one of the worst starting tandems of WRs in the league last season. Welker was not even close to a top 20 receiver in 2011. Branch doesn't start on almost any other team in the league. Obviously, it's a deep core with young and improving talent, and the TEs are exceptional. But at the top, the talent simply isn't there. Brady playing out of his mind blinded everyone to that.

We have arguably the GOAT at QB, and he's never had the chance to develop a young, elite 1st round prospect. Montana had Rice. Manning had Harrison. Favre had Sharpe. Aikman had Irvin. All of those guys were top 20 picks, and at most were a few seasons into the league when they found their HOF QB. Maybe that adds to Brady's legend. But I think Jones can add to it more.;)

1) Julio Jones would be a huge addition to the offense. He would be worth trading up to 9 or 10 to get.

2) Yes, wide receiver is a serious need.

3) I don't want us to draft a WR other than Jones. We don't need another develpmental project. Free agency will provide opportunities to pick up a vet.

Can't post a link because of my post count, but Welker is absolutely a FA after the 2011 season. I don't know where you heard otherwise. But I bet he's here for the long run anyway.

I don't think anybody's arguing WR is the team's top need. But I fail to see how anybody can vehemently object to the idea that it's a top 5 need. We have 6 picks in the top 100, and the way the value in the draft is distributed, it makes sense to go up and get Jones so long as he doesn't cost more than the 60th or 74th with the 17th. Getting Jones is not forfeiting the draft. We can still spend multiple high picks on the OL and front seven.

I'm going to make an admittedly extreme claim: the Patriots put out one of the worst starting tandems of WRs in the league last season. Welker was not even close to a top 20 receiver in 2011. Branch doesn't start on almost any other team in the league. Obviously, it's a deep core with young and improving talent, and the TEs are exceptional. But at the top, the talent simply isn't there. Brady playing out of his mind blinded everyone to that.

We have arguably the GOAT at QB, and he's never had the chance to develop a young, elite 1st round prospect. Montana had Rice. Manning had Harrison. Favre had Sharpe. Aikman had Irvin. All of those guys were top 20 picks, and at most were a few seasons into the league when they found their HOF QB. Maybe that adds to Brady's legend. But I think Jones can add to it more.;)

Count me in on the Julio bandwagon, the more i think about it the better it is

Just hope we get an o-line to let TB get him the ball

If we got something like Jones, Watkins and Sheard i'd be all over that

Welker is indeed a free agent at the end of this season, and no one but he, his agent, and Belichick likely know what he is asking/expecting, other than assuming that he wants 'fair market value.' Of course they should try and do everything to keep him, but our coach may feel differently depending on the contract demands and perceived value. Besides, even if NE keeps him, they still need other weapons at the position.

Brandon Tate and his 24 catches didn't exactly prove much to me, but you have a point in saying that he is young, and deserves a solid chance to prove himself. If it doesn't happen this year however....

I still think that WR is certainly one of the top 5 needs though, as Welker is in his last year, Branch is like some said--not even a starter on most teams, is getting older, is injury prone, and also is in his last year.

Tate and Price are pretty much complete unknowns. I don't see how they have proven themselves worthy of locking down a WR spot at one of the most potent offenses in the NFL? Hopefully one of them steps up and becomes a force, but I don't see how you can count on them. You certainly cannot cross off the position as solidified, because they may or may not end up being worth anything. I certainly wouldn't want to have to depend on either one of them. Blending them into the offense is one thing, depending on them is a whole other topic, and would take us back to 2006.

I do agree with you that we should not have to trade up to get Jones, and I really doubt that would happen. If it did, he better be the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald.

I also agree with mgteich in his thinking that we could likely afford to address the situation in free agency. Too bad there aren't any trades allowed, because Steve Smith has already cleaned out his locker and suite in Carolina. I wonder if he could be a realistic fit here, and how much it'd take? At least we know he can play hard and give his all.

I think there is a fine line between need for this year and next year at the position, and depending on what happens, it could be a very major need by next draft. I see nothing wrong with looking and planning ahead a bit.

I think there may be some truth to that statement for sure. I don't agree that they were 'one of the worst tandems in the league,' but I do think that they are nearer to the bottom than the top last year.

You are right in saying that Brady playing out of his mind masked that issue, and I agree that it would be very nice to give him a shiny new toy--a la 2007, possibly with the same record setting results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST