PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/15 - Thursday Pats/Titans Joint Session Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ok with my "nightmare scenario" being an excess of talent that keeps me from squeezing a promising rookie onto the roster. ;)

I hear you but I want ALL of the talent. We found him fair and square. Other teams shouldn’t be able to just steal him from me....I mean us....I mean the Patriots.

When’s the last time we’ve heard of that happening? I don’t recall too many instances for something that Reiss says is “common” for players to do.
I'm pretty sure I remember that happening more than once. Why /wouldn't/ they do that?

Plus it's a short week next week, Thursday night game.

Actually now that you mentioned the short week, I'm now thinking that we'll see the starters play for maybe an half, tomorrow night then get pulled, and next Thursday is the 3rd stringer scrum while the starters have the night off and play in the final preseason game.

Actually now that you mentioned the short week, I'm now thinking that we'll see the starters play for maybe an half, tomorrow night then get pulled, and next Thursday is the 3rd stringer scrum while the starters have the night off and play in the final preseason game.

Starters always play in the 3rd game and never play in the 4th.,

Do a lot of people here really think Dorsett is getting cut or is it is like a running joke? The guy is a good #3/4 option kind of like Jabar Gaffney used to be. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the roster.

Do a lot of people here really think Dorsett is getting cut or is it is like a running joke? The guy is a good #3/4 option kind of like Jabar Gaffney used to be. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the roster.

Brady trusts him also. The dude caught long TD passes in the AFC Divisional and Conference Championships. Chemistry counts with Brady. He stepped up just as Hogan was disappearing.

I think it's certainly possible given the wildly fluctuating state of the WR roster right now. With Gordon returning, the dearth of players who have ever caught a pass from Brady is less extreme. And if Thomas is activated, would you bump off one of Edelman, Gordon, Thomas, Harry or Meyers for Dorsett, who isn't a PR or KR?

When they did a dramatic makeover of the WR corps in 2007, they cut the previous season's leading receiver Caldwell and went with new acquisitions at WR 1, 2 & 3. That's not to compare this corps with that lightning-in-a-bottle season, but just to point out that there's precedent for tossing continuity aside.

I'm pretty sure I remember that happening more than once. Why /wouldn't/ they do that?
I’m not second guessing anyone’s reasoning, but merely saying that it has to be somewhat rare.

Yes, in a vacuum, Dorsett is a good #3/#4 option

We have: Edelman, Thomas, Gordon and Harry. If any three of these are healthy, there will be almost no reps for anyone else.

Harris seems destined to be waived and then put on IR if he passes waivers. Meredith should start on the PUP list.
========
So, now we are looking for backups to be a contributor when there are two injuries and an emergency active backup if there is only one injury.

WHO DO YOU WANT FOR THE NUMBER FIVE (AND SIX)
Is DORSETT a lock as you say? What about MYERS? INMAN? BERRIOS? I suppose we can carry a 6th WR if Thomas is going to take a month to be ready to be an active contributor. The 6th WR could be cut when Watson comes back, if everyone is healthy.

Yes, in a vacuum, Dorsett is a good #3/#4 option

We have: Edelman, Thomas, Gordon and Harry. If any three of these are healthy, there will be almost no reps for anyone else.

Harris seems destined to be waived and then put on IR if he passes waivers. Meredith should start on the PUP list.
========
So, now we are looking for backups to be a contributor when there are two injuries and an emergency active backup if there is only one injury.

WHO DO YOU WANT FOR THE NUMBER FIVE (AND SIX)
Is DORSETT a lock as you say? What about MYERS? INMAN? BERRIOS? I suppose we can carry a 6th WR if Thomas is going to take a month to be ready to be an active contributor. The 6th WR could be cut when Watson comes back, if everyone is healthy.

I wouldn’t assume Thomas is a better option than Dorsett or Myers at this stage of his career. He’s a big question mark. Approaching 32 and coming off an Achilles injury. He appeared to be declining even before his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes