PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/14: NFLPA's latest submission is in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, nice :

The NFL’s seismic shifts are nothing short of breathtaking. Having publicly touted the “independence” of the Wells Report and Paul, Weiss as the linchpin of the purported fairness of the discipline, the “independent” Report has now been relegated to “thorough,” the “independent” law firm has been relegated to “experienced and highly respected professionals,” and the whole façade of “independence” has been relabeled “irrelevant.”

So I am guessing NFL's response to this will be/is "Article 46".

Worse.... Brady could still lose, theoretically.

True.

On the other hand -- albeit unfortunately not very likely -- some of the Patriots' punishment could still be reversed. The sequence would be something like:
  • The NFLPA shoots down Goodell/Pash in flames.
  • Actual measurements show that the Ideal Gas Law applies to footballs.
  • Kraft asks for a reversal of the punishment and the league doesn't have the chutzpah to say "No, it's a settled matter."

Bill Simmons is going apeshit on twitter right now, it's awesome. As always, read from the bottom up:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 3m3 minutes ago
Last point - after the last few years of Goodell, it's amazing to me that anyone believes the NFL on anything. Literally, on anything.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 10m10 minutes ago
It's a shame we can't vote for sports commissioners in 2016 like we do for president. Goodell would have Rick Santorum's numbers right now.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 16m16 minutes ago
Ask yourself this: would Adam Silver do THIS to one of the NBA's best players? Would he ever waste as much time/money/energy as Goodell did?

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 18m18 minutes ago
NFL's case - "Doesn't matter that we proactively leaked the 2 most damaging info pieces to influence public opinion, but both were untrue."

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 21m21 minutes ago
NFL's case: "Our commish handed out a 4-game suspension with no real evidence, then arbitrated the appeal himself. What's wrong with that?"

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 22m22 minutes ago
NFL's case: "We promised an independent investigation, then paid the investigator and helped edit his report, then admitted no independence"

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 25m25 minutes ago
NFL's case: "Even though we screwed up Bountygate/Rice/Peterson just as badly, and even though we have no evidence, trust us this time."

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 27m27 minutes ago
NFL's case: "We think Brady conspired with Murph & Sully for a tiny competitive gain, then perjured himself. Oh and we have no evidence."

What is the basis for the NFLPA's claim that Peterson is binding precedent, or whatever they're saying that's close to that?

Is it because the decision states aspects of the Law of the Shop?

THe NFL argued that the Commissioner can determine what Conduct Detrimental means without prior notice to the players. Doty rejected that argument and others. So, the argument can't be reused again against Brady.

I think the third point is the most persuasive. His arbitration award points to a scheme not being in the original punishment. No evidence in the Wells either to support.

Worse.... Brady could still lose, theoretically.

1000.gif

Roger always seems to be missing that crucial little thing called evidence.

Well, after reading this, I highly doubt a settlement between the NFL and NFLPA is imminent. ;)

The NFLPA (Kessler) sounds like 1 pi$$ed off party. This is actually beyond belief!

I also wonder why Kessler didn't wait until the deadline.

Daniel Wallach ‏@WALLACHLEGAL 15m15 minutes ago
No NFL filing as of yet; risky move by Kessler to give NFL access to his work-product early (also ironic given lack of access at hearing)

I thought I read somewhere on the board today that both parties were told not to do any more late night filings. Then again, I can't point out where I read this and I'm not even sure when the deadline is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes