PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Players Helped By Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get being tough going over the middle but that ball had "see you next season after you get out of the hospital " written all over it.

I loved the Dorsett trade, and I have high hopes for the kid this season, but he's got to make that catch.

Belichick has his college career, and practices until now. Many draftees have made the team over the years as a prospect based on that. So, yes, one game of confirmation could indeed make Bentley be worth making the squad as a linebacker prospect, even if were expect to be inactive most of the year. Of course, some don't think that the roster should include prospects for the future.

Some don't think that decent, but not spectacular, play in the first exhibition game locks up a roster spot for a late round draftee. You can think otherwise, though. Sudfeld's had a long and storied Patriots career, after all.

Unsure why folks are down on Roberts. He is what he is...an early down LB.

BTW, he made one of the BIGGEST plays in SB 51...catching an Atlanta RB from behind (Freeman I think)...that run could have gone to the house...
People are down on him because he shoots the wrong gap, gets rag dolled at the line of scrimmage and ends up on his back too much when attempting to tackle.

With that being said, he probably makes the team unless Bentley or Sam make some noise.

I thought the OLine was a big winner, especially with Cannon and Wynn not playing. Kept QBs clean most of the night, and the second half running game was superb, albeit against 2's and 3's.
You give Brady that amount of time and we'll be golden.

Agree with Hill and Patterson. I'd also add Lucien.
As of right now, the 9ers trading Brown looks as foolish now as it did during the draft. There was no reason for the 9ers to waste a pick on a lineman when they had Brown already there. It wasn’t like he was a headcase or anything which makes it bizarre. However, his conditioning was a question mark but not a problem. The 9ers needed a playmaker on either side of the ball and really failed to make an impact with that high draft pick.

I loved the Dorsett trade, and I have high hopes for the kid this season, but he's got to make that catch.

I'm glad he didn't. I know he can catch.

It's was his blown coverage that sprung Freeman

Nice that he made the play 30-40 yards later but a better LB doesn't allow that to happen in the first place

He's an ok #4-5 LB with little/no special teams ability. I'll be glad when they upgrade

Thats what i thought when reading that post, the reason freeman had that big catch and run is because he was WIDE open, nobody within 10 yards of him and i was gonna rewatch to see if it was roberts guy but I believe you’re right. And roberrts only caught up to him because freeman had to avoid one of the safeties.

I love Deus and his avatar, but if Dorsett catches that ball all of your high hopes go up in smoke as Dorsett wakes up at MGH. That ball should never have been thrown.

And if Dorsett catches the sideline pass he is out of bounds so he tried to stay in bounds and did not catch it. Selfless attempt, he would be a diva if he did not try to stay in bounds but instead made a showy catch out of bounds. Another lousy throw.

As of right now, the 9ers trading Brown looks as foolish now as it did during the draft. There was no reason for the 9ers to waste a pick on a lineman when they had Brown already there. It wasn’t like he was a headcase or anything which makes it bizarre. However, his conditioning was a question mark but not a problem. The 9ers needed a playmaker on either side of the ball and really failed to make an impact with that high draft pick.
O line is one of those areas you shouldn’t look to trade away quality depth. Seems like secondary and O line always get hit the worst with injuries.

Roberts actually looked pretty good as a two-down player with the #1s on defense Thursday night. I'm not all that surprised.

Last season, the lack of health LB bodies forced him to play a "do everything" role for which he certainly isn't suited, and I wasn't egregiously disappointed in him for failing to cover it satisfactorily, especially given his paltry amount of previous NFL experience (272 snaps in a limited 2-down role in 2016 - his rookie season).

I think Roberts suffers in the perceptions of fans mostly for failing to meet unreasonably high expectations.

The expectations shouldn't be that big for Roberts - he's only 24 and only has a $655k cap this year. He was 6th rounder two years ago. It seems that the Flores defense will focus on speed and being more aggressive to the ball with this group. He should flourish this year.

O line is one of those areas you shouldn’t look to trade away quality depth. Seems like secondary and O line always get hit the worst with injuries.
The trade reminds me of the pointless trade of Marshall Faulk in ‘99 when he was with the Colts. While Edgerin James was a stud, he wasnt very useful in the passing game. Faulk was the perfect back for that offense. They should’ve kept Faulk and used that pick on Champ Bailey. Imagine having him along with eventually getting Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis?

With the 9ers, they trade a 25 year old tackle that has one year left on his contract for a 24 year old tackle on a rookie contract? Not to mention, there’s no guarantee McGlinchey will pan out. Was this them simply forecasting him commanding top dollar on the market and moving him ala the Pats with Chandler Jones? Probably. He wasn’t traded due to poor play.

I still think they couldn’ve waited until next year to address the RT spot and use that pick on a playmaker on Offense or Defense. They were in a odd spot so I would’ve traded down a bit and then grab Derwin James or Calvin Ridley.

I guess the Pats will have to benefit from another team making a mistake.

Last edited:
I love Deus and his avatar, but if Dorsett catches that ball all of your high hopes go up in smoke as Dorsett wakes up at MGH. That ball should never have been thrown.

And if Dorsett catches the sideline pass he is out of bounds so he tried to stay in bounds and did not catch it. Selfless attempt, he would be a diva if he did not try to stay in bounds but instead made a showy catch out of bounds. Another lousy throw.
1. The argument that he would have been crunched if he caught it may be true, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have caught it. No coach told him not to catch balls if he thinks he is going to be hit. If he wants to see the field, he needs to demonstrate that he will go all out for every ball.

2. The sideline pass went through his hands. It was a lapse of concentration (again) to not complete the play. If he was out of bounds that was on Hoyer. His job is to catch it. Also, he did not separate.

Those two plays reflect poorly on Dorsett. There is a lot to like about Dorsett, right up until game day. Then he has consistently disappointed. I hope he turns it around the next couple weeks. But he is going to have to catch some balls.

Last edited:
1. The argument that he would have been crunched if he caught it may be true, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have caught it. No coach told him not to catch balls if he thinks he is going to be hit. If he wants to see the field, he needs to demonstrate that he will go all out for every ball.

2. The sideline pass went through his hands. It was a lapse of concentration (again) to not complete the play. If he was out of bounds that was on Hoyer. His job is to catch it. Also, he did not separate.

Those two plays reflect poorly on Dorsett. There is a lot to like about Dorsett, right up until game day. Then he has consistently disappointed. I hope he turns it around the next couple weeks. But he is going to have to catch some balls.

I can't see any player exposing himself to injury in preseason on a ball that should not have been thrown. That is why key guys don't play - it is preseason. Maybe in a regular season game you have a point but not in that situation IMHO. And in a regular season game I doubt Brady throws that ball across the middle into triple coverage.

Catching a ball out of bounds and then blaming the QB for a bad throw is being a diva IMHO. I would rather see a team player try to make the catch in fair territory even if he drops the ball. I can not see any reason for a player to make sure he catches a ball out of bounds.

I can't see any player exposing himself to injury in preseason on a ball that should not have been thrown. That is why key guys don't play - it is preseason. Maybe in a regular season game you have a point but not in that situation IMHO. And in a regular season game I doubt Brady throws that ball across the middle into triple coverage.

Catching a ball out of bounds and then blaming the QB for a bad throw is being a diva IMHO. I would rather see a team player try to make the catch in fair territory even if he drops the ball. I can not see any reason for a player to make sure he catches a ball out of bounds.

Hoyer and Dorsett share the blame for both missed connections.

Its possible that we are seeing the Patriots post Brady. Different offense as the running game is emphasized.

I said this in another post about why they drafted Michel and got critiques by several posters who thought I was daft, I concur with your thought..

A good running game will also take some pressure off of #12 during this season as well.. this is all part of a transition to post Brady Patriots teams and protecting him for however many more years he plays (predict 2)...

It's coming sooner rather than later..

Gee, I wonder why Brown was traded to the Pats for a box of chocolates. :rolleyes:

We really need Wise to make a second yr jump and Derek Rivers to be as good as Wise. Way too many draftees in the recent yrs are either misses or lost to injuries. Dominique Easley, Mitchel, Antonio Garcia, Jordan Richard, the stolen first and fourth pick, Cryus Jones.

We really need Wise to make a second yr jump and Derek Rivers to be as good as Wise. Way too many draftees in the recent yrs are either misses or lost to injuries. Dominique Easley, Mitchel, Antonio Garcia, Jordan Richards, the stolen first and fourth pick, Cryus Jones.

IIRC, he was dropped on his head as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back