PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Shopping NaVorro Bowman [UPDATE: Bowman released; now signed by Raiders]

Get him Bill so we can cut bait with Harris. He can stay on as an assistant LB coach if he wants but is done as a player.
I agree; if Bowman is indeed signed, then Harris has to go. Can't have both.

PFF (grain of salt as always):

He’s been a 94% snap player this year with up and down play. He grades out miles better than Van Noy. He doesn’t seem toast to the level Harris is.

There are moments like this during a season when players that you need just fall in your lap. Do it Bill. League minimum. He can't be worse than Harris can he?

Maybe the injuries have taken more of a toll on him than I realize. It's not like I watch a ton of 49ers games. But unless he is a shell of himself I find it hard to imagine that vet minimum is going to get it done. They wont have to break the bank for the guy by any stretch, but I can't see him not getting a better offer than that from another contender.

Haven't wanted a player this bad since Moss. One we had a shot at anyway. I pined for Barry Sanders for years after he retired. He, Bledsoe and Glenn would have been insane.

Now that he's been released, absolutely, we should pursue the hell out of him. He would be am immediate improvement to our LB corps.

Wouldn't pay him much, but if he's prioritizing going to a team where he can immediately become a core contributor in a winning situation, there's no better place for him to land. Depending on how the offsets work, money may mot be a huge point of consideration for him.

If he was all pro level or even pro bowl level he probably wouldn't have been cut. We just need to keep expectations in check if he is signed here or elsewhere.

Personally I hope we do sign him to a 1 year 4M show me deal. Anything else I take a pass to be totally honest.

I assume the Pats have a decent chance for him.

He is going to want to start and want to be on a good team (if pay is similar).

I would guess the most likely teams unless someone gets crazy with money in no order...

Pats (be a tight fit but less tight than KC)
KC (it be a tight fit for them though)
Houston (could do it and have a bit of emergency fund left over)
Oakland (same boat as Houston)

Dallas/GB/Denver all have a bit over 10M. I don't see him wanting to go to Denver though as he won't get as many snaps there.

Last edited:
HES BEEN RELEASED, THEY BETTER BE ON THE PHONE WITH HIM LIKE YESTERDAY!

SIGN HIM!

LB is a big weak spot on our team. I think we should kick the tires and take a chance, especially now that a trade is not required. Unless you feel OK moving forward with Van Noy and Roberts, which I don't.

Our defense will fall on its face again if we lose HT which, let's be honest with ourselves, is a real possibility. He has been nagged by injuries throughout his career. Quality depth would be very helpful.

If he was all pro level or even pro bowl level he probably wouldn't have been cut. We just need to keep expectations in check if he is signed here or elsewhere.

Personally I hope we do sign him to a 1 year 4M show me deal. Anything else I take a pass to be totally honest.

Don't care if he's a pro bowler, don't expect him to be. If he's better than Van Noy and Roberts, and isn't commanding pro bowler money, that's plenty good enough.

Don't care if he's a pro bowler, don't expect him to be. If he's better than Van Noy and Roberts, and isn't commanding pro bowler money, that's plenty good enough.
He only has to be better than Harris to improve our roster. The bar is low.

Does Bowman still have the legs under him and is able to cover? I don't know what his measurables were coming into the league, but if they are, sign the beast!

Edit: After seeing the link to Bowman's contract. I'm not sure anymore. He would need to be cut at some point with that contract.

Oh I am not saying they shouldn't do it. They should. Just we need to have the right expectations.

Personally I think it is a 3 man race.

Pats for sure could use him.
Dallas could for sure
Oalkand could use him.

Steelers maybe... They have 2 young guys who are high picks though so they'd probably want to stand pat and let them develope

KC has 2 good OLBs.. no need and he won't want to sit behind them
GB is the same as KC to a lesser degree.
Eagles/Panthers don't need him and I think they are happy with the Ds they have and don't want to rock the boat too much though he COULD have spots on both teams though I think he'd be rotated.

So I haven't looked at every team or potential outcome but trying to do a quick look at cap space, playing time, and fit I think the order goes

#1 Oakland - Both fit and need. They have a good chance to bounce back though Carr is hurt.
#2 Dallas - Probably would have been the best fit but being 2-3 and no Elliot for 6 weeks hurts their odds some i'd think.
#3 Pats. Pats seem to have it together the most but the fit isn't as seamless but the need is there.

Last edited:
With Watt and Clowney on IR, I expect Houston to be heavily interested...

They will be but it depends on what he wants. That is a sinking ship right now it looks like. If I was him I'd pick elsewhere unless they outbid everyone else by a good amount.

How many declining, whining, agitating players do you think the team needs this year? Let's just agree on a number. I'm going to start with zero.
Why do you say whining and agitating? Did I miss something other than him saying he still has a chip on his shoulder?

Someone will probably overpay for him. Maybe Carolina because of Kuechly. Maybe the Texans because of Mecilus, Watt and Cushing.

I don't foresee us getting him on a cheap 1 year, prove yourself deal. But I'm usually wrong about most things, so we'll see.

Belichick screwed up if he doesn't get Bowman now. It's a perfect fit. Pats literally have NOTHING at ILB right now.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back