PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

45 Man Roster With Less Than Two Weeks To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a long time Ga Tech season ticket holder, I can tell you that he never played center at GT. He was a backup swing guard as a freshman, started at left guard as soph, and started at right guard his last two years. There was a lot of talk of him being drafted to play center because he's short and has short arms, but Bill and Scar had other ideas.
Perhaps I’m confused that he was projected as a c in the NFL

My updated RB rankings:

Early down backs:

1. Harris. Gets the edge as the incumbent starter. I see at least 1,200 yards and 10+ TD’s this season if he stays healthy throughout.
2. Stevenson. He’s just waiting for his chance. He’s a guy I’d be worried taking snaps in my absence.
3. Michel. His agility looks pretty shot. He almost fell down on one cut and the other in the open field was pretty ugly. It seems to take a lot of effort to change direction. Needs a straight path to run through. With that being said, keep him in case of injury.

Receiving backs:

1. White. Nobody has done enough to above to show they can take touches away from him in the passing game.
2. Taylor. His cuts are nasty. Great change of pace back.
Good post but Rham doesn't see the field consistently unless he can pick up the blitz.

Sony isn't going anywhere until he can prove that.

Agree 100% about NKeal. See ya NKeal Harry. Another total draft bust just like Chad Jackson and Aaron Dobson from the same blind OC.

Belichick owns those picks, not MacDaniels. And Belichick does a terrible job of drafting receivers. The only receivers MacDaniels ever drafted were Demaryious Thomas and Eric Decker, and both were excellent picks.

We need a healthy kicker and long snapper.

The rest seems to be in reasonable shape. Who or which positions do you think are needed? I don't think that any are essential, although I think that some would certainly help (FB and a C/G for me). I don't even care which player wins the C/G position.

I give up on the 3rd QB, the 9th OL and on the STer (understanding that Bolden can make it by beating out Taylor or he could come back after Game 1.

PICK 8
1) 3rd QB
2) 8th OL (G/C)
3) 9th OL
4) 5th WR
5) RB
6) FB
7) 14th Front Six Player
8) 9th DB
9) 4th STer (in addition to Slater, Bethel and Davis)
10) K
11) LS

================
OFFENSE (20)
QB Newton, Jones
WR Agholor, Meyers, Bourne, Olszewski
RB Harris, Michel, White, Stevenson
TE Smith, Hunter, Asiasi
OL Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown, Karras, Cajuste

DEFENSE (21)
DL Guy, Godchaux, Wise, Anderson, Winovich, Barmore
LB Judon, Hightower, Van Noy, Uche, Bentley, Perkins, Jennings
CB Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Mills
S McCourty, Phillips, Dugger, Williams

SPECIAL TEAMS (4)
SPEC Bailey
ST Slater, Bethel, Davis
1. ? Not sure we carry 3
2. Sherman
3. ? Doubt we carry 9
4. Harry. Then goes to IR. Waive and then pick up Wilkerson. Who eliminates need for #9 a ST’er.
5. JJ Taylor
6. Johnson
7. Carl Davis
8. A waiver pickup. FS
9. ?
10 Folk
11 Cardona

I thought it was 53??
So, I’ll leave; 1,3 and 9 blank to get to 53.

We may need LaCosse because of injuries at TE

Assyassy is a fire hydrant. I would be very disappointed if they guy makes the team.

I really like how stout Carl Davis is against the run, but he is an injury waiting to happen.

Rumor going around that key to Pats WR tryouts is the ability to field a bounce pass and make it look like a catch. No?
They can also qualify by getting open like Stefon Diggs, Tyrek Hill, DK Metcalf, Chase Claypool, Devante Adams and other WRs who actually pose a threat to a defense.

The Pats are all full with JAGS and wannabes for the present. Your Jagahlors, Bornes, Jagkobis. Wlkerson is the next experimental project.

1. ? Not sure we carry 3
2. Sherman
3. ? Doubt we carry 9
4. Harry. Then goes to IR. Waive and then pick up Wilkerson. Who eliminates need for #9 a ST’er.
5. JJ Taylor
6. Johnson
7. Carl Davis
8. A waiver pickup. FS
9. ?
10 Folk
11 Cardona

I thought it was 53??
So, I’ll leave; 1,3 and 9 blank to get to 53.

We may need LaCosse because of injuries at TE

45 is the game day active number, 53 is the full roster. The league should have raised the roster number to 56-57 when they raised the games to 17, but the greedy f*ckers that they are kept them from doing so.

Sorry you have lost me , my bad

"Just based on the two games I would keep JJ Taylor. Some beat reporters have mentioned that his tackling will be his weak spot which is fair comment"

45 is the game day active number, 53 is the full roster. The league should have raised the roster number to 56-57 when they raised the games to 17, but the greedy f*ckers that they are kept them from doing so.

I agree, the rosters should have been raised for the extra game.

I wonder if teams will sign more guys off other teams practice squad this year because you know there are going to be injuries.

Belichick owns those picks, not MacDaniels. And Belichick does a terrible job of drafting receivers. The only receivers MacDaniels ever drafted were Demaryious Thomas and Eric Decker, and both were excellent picks.

Yeah let's review what McDaniels did in Denver. Got fired after losing 10 straight. What's next, you gonna claim he was reaponsible for their SB later? The guy has failed 3 different times without Tom giving him a career. He's lucky that Mac is going to be good to save his career

Yeah let's review what McDaniels did in Denver. Got fired after losing 10 straight. What's next, you gonna claim he was reaponsible for their SB later? The guy has failed 3 different times without Tom giving him a career. He's lucky that Mac is going to be good to save his career

giphy.gif

Probably you remember Scar working him out as a center at the GT pro day

1629589760677.png

I believe Herron worked there last year.
I don’t think we need 3 Cs on the game day roster anyway.
Have we ever?
If the 7 are
Wynn
Onwenu
Andrews
Mason (he played C in college)
Brown
Karras
Cajuste

aren’t we as deep at C as anywhere else?
Have we ever activated players based upon 2 Cs getting injured in the same game?

If the 3rd guy needed to play that would mean the 2 injuries are Andrews and Karras

I think we go with the best player.
???
1) We are allowed an extra active roster spot, as long as we have 8 OL's.
2) We are prepared for TWO injuries at OT.
3) We are prepared for TWO injuries at OG.
4) We can choose to dress one fewer OL than other teams. And yes, that would mean that we could cover all two players injury situations other than Andrews and Karras.
5) Yes, Belichick knows his option is at center if Andrews and Karras are both injured. I don't know why this would be a surprise. With the option of adding an extra OL, I would expect him to consider someone for the 8th active OL who played center at more than an emergency level.

As I have said, if Herron can play center, I am fine with him as the 8th active OL.

Last edited:
I agree, the rosters should have been raised for the extra game.

I wonder if teams will sign more guys off other teams practice squad this year because you know there are going to be injuries.
and the players on their Practice Squads are better than the 16 that Belichick chooses for ours?

Kidding aside, we always look to all options if there is an injury, including players on the Practice Squad of other teams. I think that the {ractice Squad rules favor using our own. We can protect four, and we don't need to designate who is coming up until almost game time.

As I said, please post the references.

We would all be very happy to learn that Herron is a possible backup center. I just looked at some of the draft reviews. Almost all listed him as an OT, noting that many teams would move him to OG. I saw no mention of him playing center. Of course, as a college senior, he set the team record for reps at OT, with no mention of other positions.

And yes, the need for an emergency center is a real need. It is a valuable skill. I am sure that Scar and the other coaches have tested him at center during camp. That does NOT make him an option at center. I suspect that every OL with a chance of making the roster was tested at several positions. I would say that everyone was probably test at every position, but it is possible that the centers weren't tested as possible OT's.

???
1) We are allowed an extra active roster spot, as long as we have 8 OL's.
2) We are prepared for TWO injuries at OT.
3) We are prepared for TWO injuries at OG.
4) We can choose to dress one fewer OL than other teams. And yes, that would mean that we could cover all two players injury situations other than Andrews and Karras.
5) Yes, Belichick knows his option is at center if Andrews and Karras are both injured. I don't know why this would be a surprise. With the option of adding an extra OL, I would expect him to consider someone for the 8th active OL who played center at more than an emergency level.

As I have said, if Herron can play center, I am fine with him as the 8th active OL.
I’m saying the 8th should be the best player not the 3rd C.

As I said, please post the references.

We would all be very happy to learn that Herron is a possible backup center. I just looked at some of the draft reviews. Almost all listed him as an OT, noting that many teams would move him to OG. I saw no mention of him playing center. Of course, as a college senior, he set the team record for reps at OT, with no mention of other positions.

And yes, the need for an emergency center is a real need. It is a valuable skill. I am sure that Scar and the other coaches have tested him at center during camp. That does NOT make him an option at center. I suspect that every OL with a chance of making the roster was tested at several positions. I would say that everyone was probably test at every position, but it is possible that the centers weren't tested as possible OT's.
When have we carried 3 Cs? Ever?

They’ve had Joe Thuney as an emergency center the last 5 seasons. My guess is another Olineman will be taking some reps at center in practice just in case.

I would not be surprised if the Pats don’t eventually have a 9th Olineman on the 53 such as Ferentz or Martin who be one of the game day 8 rather than the 2nd backup tackle as there are 3 interior positions to backup compared to 2 tackles, and Onwenu could always play tackle if needed.

When have we carried 3 Cs? Ever?
Are you really suggesting that we have never had 3 players capable of playing center?

Let's be clear. Maybe Mason or Wynn

can play center. I don't think so. As has been pointed out, Thuney was the emergency center for years.

You have decided that Herron can play center. Provide backup and this discussion can go away.

The rules changed in the last CBA giving teams an additional active offensive lineman. We can choose that player for flexibility, including an emergency center, or not. You seem to favor a 5th OT, since Onwenu is already active..

QUESTION
If we activate 8 OL's, and presuming that Cajuste is ahead of Herron, when would Herron play? Many believe that if there is an injury at OT, Onwenu would move over. Even if this isn't true, then the swing OT would play. I would think that Onwneu would play OT if there were TWO injuries. Do you agree?

I’m saying the 8th should be the best player not the 3rd C.
If Herron is the 8th, there is no point in having him active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back