PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

45 Man Roster With Less Than Two Weeks To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carl Davis is on the team. He played in the first quarter against the Eagles & helped make a 3rd & 1 stop by taking on two blockers. He was underrated last year & is having a strong camp.

The pats receiving RB role takes a good amount of development. Vereen & White played sparingly for most of their first two seasons. Judging by Fears' comments & Taylor's play I'd be surprised if he isn't kept as White's backup. Considering Stevenson can fly down the field he should be kept over a 31 year old Bolden for STs.

Seems extremely unfair to me. :whistle:
I think the reporters were highlighting this based on his size , however as I mentioned , I clearly saw him level a blitzing defender....I would have him on the 53. I dont think he will make it to the practice squad

I think the reporters were highlighting this based on his size , however as I mentioned , I clearly saw him level a blitzing defender....I would have him on the 53. I dont think he will make it to the practice squad

Yeah, but for tackling? (Read your original post)

1)Have to add Johnson because there is no chance we have no FB on the roster.
8th OL is a lock and I’m pretty sure it’s 2)Herron because of position versatility.
3) Have to have a 5th WR, Gunner is not a 4.
4) k
5) LS
6) I think we need 9th db because they get injured a lot, contribute on sts more than any other position group and Gilmore is already injured.

That leaves 2 that should be based upon the guy rather than the role.
I don’t see Carl Davis getting cut.
Rb is interesting because I could certainly see Taylor making the team but he would be buried. It looks like Michel is being prepped to take up whites role if he misses time so Taylor is at least 2 injuries away.
The lb/edge spot is loaded, can’t see any role for an additional one.
Last spot seems like either a special teamer or someone who would end up on the ps but they don’t want to expose, or Qb3
I generally agree with your comments.

OL
We have 4 OT's and can deal with 2 injuries (Wynn, Brown, Onwenu, Cajuste). If there are two injuries at OG, Wynn could move to LG. So, for me, the 8th (active) OL needs to be an emergency center with the flexibility to play somewhere else.

Player 53
I think that the Ster could be Bolden, although we could wait a week to sign him (so we can put some one on IR after Game 1 (to return). I'm OK with Davis as the Player 53.

Last edited:
A reminder: to get active slot #48 on game day, you need to have at least 8 OLs active.

A reminder: to get active slot #48 on game day, you need to have at least 8 OLs active.
yup. Our starters, a swing OT, Karras (G/C), and one more. IMO, that player should be a C/G. We can deal with 2 injuries at OG and OT. We need an emergency center to deal with two injuries at center.

I generally agree with your comments.

OL
We have 4 OT's and can deal with 2 injuries (Wynn, Brown, Onwenu, Cajuste). If there are two injuries at OG, Wynn could move to LG. So, for me, the 8th (active) OL needs to be an emergency center with the flexibility to play somewhere else.

Player 53
I think that the Ster could be Bolden, although we could wait a week to sign him (so we can put some one on IR after Game 1 (to return). I'm OK with Davis as the Player 53.
I think Herron is the emergency center actually.
I didn’t think Davis is the 53rd player I think he will be active and play on early downs.

My updated RB rankings:

Early down backs:

1. Harris. Gets the edge as the incumbent starter. I see at least 1,200 yards and 10+ TD’s this season if he stays healthy throughout.
2. Stevenson. He’s just waiting for his chance. He’s a guy I’d be worried taking snaps in my absence.
3. Michel. His agility looks pretty shot. He almost fell down on one cut and the other in the open field was pretty ugly. It seems to take a lot of effort to change direction. Needs a straight path to run through. With that being said, keep him in case of injury.

Receiving backs:

1. White. Nobody has done enough to above to show they can take touches away from him in the passing game.
2. Taylor. His cuts are nasty. Great change of pace back.

I think Herron is the emergency center actually.
I didn’t think Davis is the 53rd player I think he will be active and play on early downs.
Please give us a reference. I'm OK with Herron as the 9th OL, or as the 8th only if he plays center. Ferentz and Martin seem more likely choices. I believe that is who played center in the first game.

Please give us a reference. I'm OK with Herron as the 9th OL, or as the 8th only if he plays center. Ferentz and Martin seem more likely choices. I believe that is who played center in the first game.
I believe Herron worked there last year.
I don’t think we need 3 Cs on the game day roster anyway.
Have we ever?
If the 7 are
Wynn
Onwenu
Andrews
Mason (he played C in college)
Brown
Karras
Cajuste

aren’t we as deep at C as anywhere else?
Have we ever activated players based upon 2 Cs getting injured in the same game?

If the 3rd guy needed to play that would mean the 2 injuries are Andrews and Karras

I think we go with the best player.

My updated RB rankings:

Early down backs:

1. Harris. Gets the edge as the incumbent starter. I see at least 1,200 yards and 10+ TD’s this season if he stays healthy throughout.
2. Stevenson. He’s just waiting for his chance. He’s a guy I’d be worried taking snaps in my absence.
3. Michel. His agility looks pretty shot. He almost fell down on one cut and the other in the open field was pretty ugly. It seems to take a lot of effort to change direction. Needs a straight path to run through. With that being said, keep him in case of injury.

Receiving backs:

1. White. Nobody has done enough to above to show they can take touches away from him in the passing game.
2. Taylor. His cuts are nasty. Great change of pace back.
A backup receiving RB is sorta like a backup PR, always inactive and perhaps not having a roster spot at all. Is Taylor a top protector against the blitz (the #1 requirement for a 3rd down back)? In any case, I an fine with Michel, Stevenson and/or Harris being the 3rd down receiving back. If White is injured in a game, that would definitely happen. If White were to miss a game, we might activate an emergency back, perhaps from the Practice Squad, or not.

For me, I would usually be fine with 4 active backs (3 RB plus a FB). Since Stevenson seems to be so good, I am fine having the additional active back. However, I would not be surprised if we usually activate a total of four, with either Stevenson or Michel being inactive.

That being said, Belichick often carries developmental players, especially at RB.

Mason (he played C in college)
As a long time Ga Tech season ticket holder, I can tell you that he never played center at GT. He was a backup swing guard as a freshman, started at left guard as soph, and started at right guard his last two years. There was a lot of talk of him being drafted to play center because he's short and has short arms, but Bill and Scar had other ideas.

Agree 100% about NKeal. See ya NKeal Harry. Another total draft bust just like Chad Jackson and Aaron Dobson from the same blind OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back