PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#23, #34, #47, #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be in the minority but I do like Heyward-Bey as a 3rd/4th option at #23. Not only is he a burner, but he showed good hands at the combine. His route running is the big question, but it's not like he'd be asked to start any time soon. If he's got the mentality/willingness to learn unlike Chad Jackson then he could be Moss' eventual replacement.

I may be in the minority but I do like Heyward-Bey as a 3rd/4th option at #23. Not only is he a burner, but he showed good hands at the combine. His route running is the big question, but it's not like he'd be asked to start any time soon. If he's got the mentality/willingness to learn unlike Chad Jackson then he could be Moss' eventual replacement.
Per Mayock, his hands are an issue - not bad, but he's not a natural hands catcher, and BB just landed a speedy WR with a bit of an issue at the end of his arms. In BB's spread, four WR sets may indeed mean he starts.

I hope you're in the minority. No thanks. Hope some sucker picks him in the first 22 picks (Chicago at #18 sounds good to me, or maybe the Jets at #17).

I'm with you. I would hope to find somebody of better value there, and I'd expect to. But if none exists, I'd go with DHB. He's just been phenomenal the last two seasons...will not be denied the ball.

I think the Chad Jackson experience has soured many on taking WRs early, justifiably so. Perhaps Belichick also.

I'm with you, to an extent. I really don't want any receiver in the 1st round, let alone such a boom-or-bust prospect. But I don't think it's fair to tar Heyward-Bey with the Chad Jackson brush, given that all reports say he's a great kid with a good attitude and his coaches love him.

I like Hakeen Nicks too possibly at #34, but if Brandon Tate hadn't torn his ACL I can't help but wonder if he may not have even been the best WR on his own team. Not to mention having Brooks Foster alongside to take away some of the pressure.

Just thought I'd take a look at your "big 5" target list in light of NFP's recent re-rankings:

1. Connor Barwin, OLB - #29
2. William Beatty, OT - #24
3. Louis Delmas, S - #69
4. Hakeem Nicks, WR - #25
5. Sean Smith, CB/S - #19

I respect their list more than most, and I think it's a very realistic possibility that only 1 of the 5 will make it as far as #34. :(

The more I think about my preferred target list, the more I see the possibility of using #89 to trade up. Some scenarios:

#89 + #58 gets us to around #43-44
#89 + #47 gets us to around #33
#89 + #34 gets us to around #26

With at least 4 quality 2nd round safety prospects (Sean Smith, Louis Delmas, William Moore and Patrick Chung), I don't see us jumping early for a S unless one really stands out, as mgteich has pointed out.

I could see us trading up to 26 and taking Beatty/Nicks with one pick and Barwin with the other, if we don't believe Barwin will last to #34. If we think he will last, then I could see taking Beatty/Nicks at #23 and Barwin at #34 and then trading up to #33 or #43 for one of the other top candidates. We could conceivably get Beatty, Barwin and Nicks with 23, 33 and 34, and then a safety at 58. That would be an amazing first day. Alternatively, we could get Beatty/Nicks, Barwin, Delmas, and a solid SILB candidate (Ayers, English or Sintim). Not to shabby either.

In case one of the really big fish falls out of the top 10, #23 + 89 should get us to around #18. #23 + 58 would get us to around 14-15. And number 23 + 47 would get us to around #12. So we have plenty of ammo, though I don't see those scenarious happening unless someone unexpectedly falls.

There are still a few questionmarks about Nicks - such as does he have the speed to create separation at the NFL level? Nicks ran a 4.51 40 at the combine,

Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.54. I don't see him having any trouble creating separation at the NFL level.

Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.54. I don't see him having any trouble creating separation at the NFL level.

To be fair at his size separation isn't really an issue.

To be fair at his size separation isn't really an issue.

I agree, but I think combine-speed is one of the most overrated things in a WR. We've now drafted two absurdly fast WRs in the first/second round who've been huge busts: Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. I want a guy who isn't just about speed.

I agree, but I think combine-speed is one of the most overrated things in a WR. We've now drafted two absurdly fast WRs in the first/second round who've been huge busts: Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson. I want a guy who isn't just about speed.

Well of all the positions I'd say they're most relevant with DBs then followed by WRs. Those that want to use it to compare LBs I think are wasting their time.

Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson are not the only first day wide reciever speed demons to play for the patriots in the last decade. Let's not forget 2nd rounder Tony Simmons.

Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson are not the only first day wide reciever speed demons to play for the patriots in the last decade. Let's not forget 2nd rounder Tony Simmons.

Bobby Grier pick, no?

Well of all the positions I'd say they're most relevant with DBs then followed by WRs. Those that want to use it to compare LBs I think are wasting their time.

And I disagree.

If I had to guess, I'd say theres more elite WRs in the NFL who ran 4.5s than who ran faster.

Housh: 4.7
Boldin :4.7
Fitz: 4.5
TO: 4.47...close
Jerry Rice: 4.69
MHarrsion:4.45
Wayne: 4.49
I'm sure theres more.

The only blazing fast guys I can think of are Moss, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson.

Point is, I don't think that 40time/speed correlates at all to WR skill. Whats funny, is it correlates pretty highly (in the form of speedscore) to RBs.

Last edited:
I would like to see Eric Wood with one of the 2nd round picks

I would like to see Eric Wood with one of the 2nd round picks

Wood would be a solid pick at #58. I've focused on other options, but I don't think anyone could complain if he were the pick there.

The open question is whether the #5 or #6 OT picked in this draft is a likely franchise LT.

As much as we dislike the possibility, Nicks is a fine value pick at #23 and meets a need. Also, the team in not harmed terribly if he takes some time to develop.

Blech. The thought of drafting a WR in round 1 makes me want to hurl. I hope you're not seriously advocating that. Getting younger and better on defense is a much bigger need than a 3rd WR. Nicks is a luxury pick. If you really MUST have him, do it with #34 but no sooner.

Blech. The thought of drafting a WR in round 1 makes me want to hurl. I hope you're not seriously advocating that. Getting younger and better on defense is a much bigger need than a 3rd WR. Nicks is a luxury pick. If you really MUST have him, do it with #34 but no sooner.

I see us possibly spending one of our 4 first day picks on offense. Right now, William Beatty at OT and Hakeem Nicks at WR are the only players I really like and see as possible value. My preference is Beatty at #23 and defense at 34, 47 and 58 (hopefully Connor Barwin, Louis Delmas, and either Jarron Gilbert or a potential SILB candidate like Robert Ayers, Larry English or Clint Sintim). If Beatty is gone at #23 then Nicks gets some serious consideration between 23 and 34. The Giants at 29 are a strong possibility, so if we thought he wouldn't last until 34 we might jump at 23, or trade back from 23, or trade up from 34.

It's not my preferred option, as I much prefer not to take a WR that high and see some nice options later in the draft (particularly Mike Wallace from Ole Miss). But my guess is that Nicks would come in and contribute right away, and he wouldn't be the worst pick.

Again, I'm not advocating it - I haven't been taking him on my mock scenarious - but I do suggest he deserves some serious consideration.

Wood would be a solid pick at #58. I've focused on other options, but I don't think anyone could complain if he were the pick there.

I think he goes some where in that mid 2nd range, so I'd have to nab him at #47 or settle for Luigs at #58.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots