PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 QB

I could say the same for both Williams and Maye. On-field performance is the #1
criteria in evaluating a football player- and Maye had several really bad games.
I'm talking not getting drafted at all bad kind of games,especially vs. Clemson.
I was high on Maye until then.
As for Williams- hell no! He has too many issues. And he has been mediocre-bad this,year. Don't wanna hear any Mahomes comparisons he's nowhere close to Mahomes and never will be.
He's the last qb I'd take.
Every qb in the draft has flaws. It comes down to who can overcome/correct those flaws the most to become a good nfl qb.
But toughness and leadership are 2 things very hard to teach.

Brady always had both in college. Mac Jones had neither. Penix and Daniels have both but Williams has neither.
It's not Williams height I'm concerned with,it's his head and his heart....
...as in both are missing
Clapping Applause GIF

@jimnance what's your take on Bo Nix??

Clapping Applause GIF

@jimnance what's your take on Bo Nix??
I like Nix but I don't see him as a franchise qb. He's a backup to me or a mediocre starter. I think there's only 4 nfl starters- maye,penix,daniels and wiliams.
I'd be ok with any of the 4 except williams
But I have questions on all the other 3 as well.

Is there a possibility, when all is said and done, that all five of the top QB's in this draft (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, Nix) all wind up with first rounds grades that would be feasible to draft in the top 10? Not to mention a guy like McCarthy after that could be in play in round 2.

Sure picked a great year to need a QB.
ESPN has Maye, Daniel’s, and Williams as first round quality QBs and that’s pretty consistent across all scouts though a few have Daniels as a top of second round draft pick
They only rank 14 players overall as first round talent so several quarterbacks will go in the first round, but aren’t technically first round talent
I don’t see scouts putting Nix, Penix or McCarthy as average first round talent, but workouts can make a difference with at least one of them so who knows
I think the draft has two very highly talented quarterbacks that would probably have gone first every year that wasn’t Lawrence or Luck going back that far.
Daniels it’s probably in the mix last year with Stroud and Young but why Young was ever rated that highly is beyond me, I think Daniel‘s should rank just below Stroud last year.
Other guys are second or third round quality IMO
Which is only about a 5% chance of being successful

I like Nix but I don't see him as a franchise qb. He's a backup to me or a mediocre starter. I think there's only 4 nfl starters- maye,penix,daniels and wiliams.
I'd be ok with any of the 4 except williams
But I have questions on all the other 3 as well.
I should qualify this by saying I don't read any scouts reports,I dont look at mock drafts(I've only seen one and that was a week ago), so there might be a later round qb I don't know much about who could become a good nfl starter at some point. I don't speculate on what I haven't seen.
I watched a lot of penix,nix,williams,mccarthy and maye. I've seen a few games of daniels and
Travis. Other than that, I have no idea.
But Tom Brady happened.
Most Qbs are hard to evaluate. Almost any other position is easier to rate because there aren't as many variables as there are with the qb position.
I know a coach at a big division 1 school and we both agree college does a really ****ty job preparing qbs for the nfl. Almost none of them can read defenses even a little bit so it makes it harder for nfl teams to really evaluate them. You just don't know if a qb will study tons of film and if he's intelligent enough to figure out what he's watching.

I should qualify this by saying I don't read any scouts reports,I dont look at mock drafts(I've only seen one and that was a week ago), so there might be a later round qb I don't know much about who could become a good nfl starter at some point. I don't speculate on what I haven't seen.
I watched a lot of penix,nix,williams,mccarthy and maye. I've seen a few games of daniels and
Travis. Other than that, I have no idea.
But Tom Brady happened.
Most Qbs are hard to evaluate. Almost any other position is easier to rate because there aren't as many variables as there are with the qb position.
I know a coach at a big division 1 school and we both agree college does a really ****ty job preparing qbs for the nfl. Almost none of them can read defenses even a little bit so it makes it harder for nfl teams to really evaluate them. You just don't know if a qb will study tons of film and if he's intelligent enough to figure out what he's watching.
Oh yeah,one other thing--' there's only one "draftnik" I'll read even a little bit. That's our own BGC

That might be to Penix Jrs advantage hey Steve Young - Ken Stabler and Boomer Esiason were all Lefties.
It might be. But history hasn’t been too kind too lefties the last 20 or so years.

2001 Michael Vick.was electric
2003 Chris Simms. Just a patriots hater
2004 Jared Lorenzen. Me either
2004 Tyler Palko. Sucked
2006 Matt Leinhart. Career back up
2009 Pat White. The good old days vs Miami
2010 Tim Tebow. Lost Josh his job.
2012 Kellen Moore. Back up
2020 Tua Tagovailo. Bust until Tyreek
2022 Holton Awhlers. Me either.

I rewatched 3 of Maye's games (Virginia, Miami and Clemson). He has a long windup, questionable mechanics and footwork and does not go through progressions he seems to make alot of 1st read throws even when covered. I did not see good decision making, multiple times he threw the ball in the air to avoid a sack a la Mac Jones.

I do not see what could possibly make him a top 10 pick let alone a top 3. I don't see the Herbert comparison at all, what I saw was a Trubisky floor and Dan Jones ceiling. I would much rather build the OL and weapons than draft Maye, buy if we do draft Maye we need a QB whisperer, and I hope I need to eat crow.

I rewatched 3 of Maye's games (Virginia, Miami and Clemson). He has a long windup, questionable mechanics and footwork and does not go through progressions he seems to make alot of 1st read throws even when covered. I did not see good decision making, multiple times he threw the ball in the air to avoid a sack a la Mac Jones.

I do not see what could possibly make him a top 10 pick let alone a top 3. I don't see the Herbert comparison at all, what I saw was a Trubisky floor and Dan Jones ceiling. I would much rather build the OL and weapons than draft Maye, buy if we do draft Maye we need a QB whisperer, and I hope I need to eat crow.
Always found Maye very overrated....Williams too...Good QB class however, not great

We’ve already seen this with Mac Jones and his receivers at Alabama and were all enamored with his performances. Take away the receivers and oline and what do you got at the NFL level?
Good point.

Yep.

Zach Wilson had the scouts swooning. There was no dispute taking him second in the draft. He could make all the throws.

Look at him now.

I want a winner. So far that’s PeniX. With the serious medical red flags. He beat Oregon twice this season. And a very strong Texas team on the big stage.

Let’s see him against a very good

Maye is the safer pick. But with perhaps less upside.

A lot of you don’t realize how good Oregon is. In the Big Ten the Ducks next season are going to annihilate teams with their physicality.

Last edited:
Maybe WAS will draft Howell's best friend (for real) in Maye? He didn't have talent surrounding him this year, but frankly he didn't play against talent this year either, with the highest ranked teams #25 (win) and #22 (loss). He did have a bonafide NFL WR in Downs last year, but a lot of good that did against Clemson.

Williams, Penix, Nix, Daniels all had WAY better skill players than Maye. Think it's harsh to judge him when he is largely throwing to scrubs.
Give me Maye all day. Pedigree, legacy, athlete, true NFL arm, modern day running ability. You can work with that, you can coach that, what’s better is he’s a true pocket passer that actually knows how to perform a 5 and 7 foot drop unlike a few of those guys mentioned. Did I mention he’s a durable dual threat that isn’t going to snap like a twig when he leaves the pocket? That’s something that this team is going to need the next couple of years while the oline gets fixed and they add skill position players around him.

Does anyone really think these scouts are looking at the stats and saying “gee, Maye and Williams had really down years?” No. They are looking at talent and traits first that translate to the NFL game.

Give me Maye all day. Pedigree, legacy, athlete, true NFL arm, modern day running ability. You can work with that, you can coach that, what’s better is he’s a true pocket passer that actually knows how to perform a 5 and 7 foot drop unlike a few of those guys mentioned. Did I mention he’s a durable dual threat that isn’t going to snap like a twig when he leaves the pocket? That’s something that this team is going to need the next couple of years while the oline gets fixed and they add skill position players around him.

Does anyone really think these scouts are looking at the stats and saying “gee, Maye and Williams had really down years?” No. They are looking at talent and traits first that translate to the NFL game.
Williams and Maye have things scouts absolutely love. I'd take either in a second. I really hope Maye drops to 3 somehow. Maye is my personal #1 choice.

Daniels has the absolute best mechanics in the draft and is the best runner. He does not have as strong an arm as the other 2 but has just as much velocity on many throws due to his mechanics. Williams and Maye can make off balance throws with more on them and thus throw better on the run though Daniels is not weak throwing on the run.
But the more I watch Daniels the more I like him. I like the fact he has improved and worked on his craft. His mechanics have continually improved.
Dake Maye and Daniels are the top 2 big time throw percentage QB's. That's a stat that translates very well to NFL success.
Dislikes on Daniels are age, skinny build, and fact he had great wide receivers to throw to. Has sometimes had a first read and run mentality but has improved on that this year as well. Needs to protect himself when running.

Penix , Mccarthy and Nix have too many negatives, I'd pass on them unless it was the third round.

Not many guys I consider 1st round talent after the top 3, Quinn Evers, likely not coming out, and Spencer Rattler are the only other 2 I'd consider if I decided I Wanted MHJ and a QB at top of round 2 or trade up into first.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back