PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 QB

Bo Nix has great numbers but apparently has the shortest actual air distance of any top level QB i.e. he gets an absolute ton of YAC. Penix is in a different league to Nix if we're talking QB 4, and I like Nix!

Mix doesn't make all the throws.
Penix is the best pocket passer in college.
But what really stands out aee,all his Brady-like traits:
1. Cool under pressure- more so than any of the other top qbs
2. His accuracy is excellent
3. His ability to avoid pressure while staying in the pocket and scanning tge entire field is unmatched. Even Brady didn't do this well until his 4th season.Penix is better than Brady was in this area at this point in their careers.
4. He has a rocket for an arm.
5. Underneath throws? Why would you throw underneath much with wrs like his?
That is something that can be taught.
6. Toughness. The only other qb that's even close to him in toughness is Daniels
7. Total non- diva, unlike Williams
8. Natural leader
9. At his best in the biggest games. This can't be understated. This is how I judge all qbs. It's what separated Tom from Peyton.
The injury concerns are real but way overstated in this forum.
He's NOT bone on bone,lol. You can't play football or any competitive sport bone on bone. Lmfao. Lot of posters here don't know what they're talking about in this regard.
Hes had 2 outstanding full seasons since the injuries and has been totally healthy.
He's also primarily a pocket qb, although he can run.
Gronk,the NFL GOAT te, was a much bigger injury risk than Penix.
The biggest injury risk with Penux is longterm not short-term.
Arthritis could develop but that will take many years. So you get 10 Pro Bowl level years from him instead if 15, maybe. Id take that.
jim you have a follower post brother post. :)

Bo Nix has great numbers but apparently has the shortest actual air distance of any top level QB i.e. he gets an absolute ton of YAC. Penix is in a different league to Nix if we're talking QB 4, and I like Nix!
I filing what you said away good stuff.

All I know is what I see. Maye had been my top choice until he just had several really really bad games, especially vs. a very weak Clemson team.
And Williams has just sucked this year.
He has more risk than any of the top qbs in this draft imo.
I wasn't a big college fan until this year because the Pats need a qb. So I made it a point to watch as many games as possible with the top 5 or 6 qbs.
The #1 criteria when evaluating talent should always be performance.
There is NO question Penix outperformed every qb in college this year. And he played a tough schedule. Pac12 was easily the 3rd best overall conf.this year, wayahead of Big12 and Acc.
Ive seen Nix a bunch. I like him but I see limited passing talent there. Runs too much.
I don't want a running qb.
We don't know how nfl evaluators feel. We'll find out.
I put 0 credence in most draftniks I think most of them dont know squat.
And nfl guys do tend to be risk averse.
But if you never gamble a little,you never get a Gronk. Anybody coulda had him.
Belichick had the balls and wisdom to do it.
What was so tough about his schedule? Besides Utah who plays a pro set defense who he “lit up” with a 24-42 performance, who has he played? Basically what was on his schedule which he has no control over, I get it. USC? Wow, pretty sure Nix beat that terrible team even worse to a tune of 400+yards and 4 tds. I wholeheartedly agree that Penix reads defenses better and has a great cannon and plays with poise. I just don’t know how well he is going to do it on a bad offense. Nobody does. Same for Nix, but I do know his short area game is better and he has some wiggle to his game to escape if he has to. Best back shoulder throw of all the qbs btw which is a toughie. But, I do question Nix’s ability to process his 2nd and 3rd reads which drops him into that late 1st, 2nd round conversation.

Believe what your eyes see but there is a reason Maye and Williams are ranked 1 and 2. If you put that offensive line and Odunze on North Carolina or USC what do you get? We saw what Caleb did last year with Addison, the team around you matters.

Mix doesn't make all the throws.
Penix is the best pocket passer in college.
But what really stands out aee,all his Brady-like traits:
1. Cool under pressure- more so than any of the other top qbs
2. His accuracy is excellent
3. His ability to avoid pressure while staying in the pocket and scanning tge entire field is unmatched. Even Brady didn't do this well until his 4th season.Penix is better than Brady was in this area at this point in their careers.
4. He has a rocket for an arm.
5. Underneath throws? Why would you throw underneath much with wrs like his?
That is something that can be taught.
6. Toughness. The only other qb that's even close to him in toughness is Daniels
7. Total non- diva, unlike Williams
8. Natural leader
9. At his best in the biggest games. This can't be understated. This is how I judge all qbs. It's what separated Tom from Peyton.
The injury concerns are real but way overstated in this forum.
He's NOT bone on bone,lol. You can't play football or any competitive sport bone on bone. Lmfao. Lot of posters here don't know what they're talking about in this regard.
Hes had 2 outstanding full seasons since the injuries and has been totally healthy.
He's also primarily a pocket qb, although he can run.
Gronk,the NFL GOAT te, was a much bigger injury risk than Penix.
The biggest injury risk with Penux is longterm not short-term.
Arthritis could develop but that will take many years. So you get 10 Pro Bowl level years from him instead if 15, maybe. Id take that.
I want to see how he does next Monday, and I want to see his changeup. Everything in the Sugar Bowl was lasers, which is great, because Mac throws eephus balls. But you and I both know that not every play requires the fastball. I want to see a full complement of throws. The touch pass, screens.... all of em.

I am not throwing shade on the kid, far from it. There was more than once where I went "wow" watching him throw. He's the real thing.

What was so tough about his schedule? Besides Utah who plays a pro set defense who he “lit up” with a 24-42 performance, who has he played? Basically what was on his schedule which he has no control over, I get it. USC? Wow, pretty sure Nix beat that terrible team even worse to a tune of 400+yards and 4 tds. I wholeheartedly agree that Penix reads defenses better and has a great cannon and plays with poise. I just don’t know how well he is going to do it on a bad offense. Nobody does. Same for Nix, but I do know his short area game is better and he has some wiggle to his game to escape if he has to. Best back shoulder throw of all the qbs btw which is a toughie. But, I do question Nix’s ability to process his 2nd and 3rd reads which drops him into that late 1st, 2nd round conversation.

Believe what your eyes see but there is a reason Maye and Williams are ranked 1 and 2. If you put that offensive line and Odunze on North Carolina or USC what do you get? We saw what Caleb did last year with Addison, the team around you matters.
Yeah, Penix has a gun but just watch the Washington State (5-7 team) game, Penix was inaccurate on most of the throws, but had all day to throw, almost every completion the receiver had 5 yards or more of separation. 7 of the 8 plays I saw where he had any pressure at all resulted in terrible plays by him. Not the only game like that.
You can't watch his film and think he's a better prospect than Maye and Williams. Those 2 are at another level. Penix is a decent prospect and probably 4th in this draft due to the arm strength but after top 3 it's a weak QB class IMO.

IMO Williams and Maye are first year starters, maybe Daniels but not 100% sold on him. If Ewers came out, unlikely as it is, he could be a year 2 starter and would be the 4th best prospect because upside is good, just needs more time to develop.
Everyone else on tape looks like a JAG. If Pats don't get shot at top 3 Qb's nobody else has a first round grade. You are just throwing darts at that point. Might as well take the tackle/wr in round 1 and take a QB in 2 or 3 and hope.

I want to see how he does next Monday, and I want to see his changeup. Everything in the Sugar Bowl was lasers, which is great, because Mac throws eephus balls. But you and I both know that not every play requires the fastball. I want to see a full complement of throws. The touch pass, screens.... all of em.

I am not throwing shade on the kid, far from it. There was more than once where I went "wow" watching him throw. He's the real thing.
I agree that's the only part of his game that needs work. But to me, that is more easily learned and implemented than most of the flaws in tge other top qbs.

Yeah, Penix has a gun but just watch the Washington State (5-7 team) game, Penix was inaccurate on most of the throws, but had all day to throw, almost every completion the receiver had 5 yards or more of separation. 7 of the 8 plays I saw where he had any pressure at all resulted in terrible plays by him. Not the only game like that.
You can't watch his film and think he's a better prospect than Maye and Williams. Those 2 are at another level. Penix is a decent prospect and probably 4th in this draft due to the arm strength but after top 3 it's a weak QB class IMO.

IMO Williams and Maye are first year starters, maybe Daniels but not 100% sold on him. If Ewers came out, unlikely as it is, he could be a year 2 starter and would be the 4th best prospect because upside is good, just needs more time to develop.
Everyone else on tape looks like a JAG. If Pats don't get shot at top 3 Qb's nobody else has a first round grade. You are just throwing darts at that point. Might as well take the tackle/wr in round 1 and take a QB in 2 or 3 and hope.
Did you watch Maye vs. Clemson?

He's got arm talent but also has a very long wind up and that will give NFL DB's an extra split second.
Wtf are you talking about? His quick release is one of his strengths.
Long windup? Now you're just making **** up

Penix looked fantastic last night.
If Pats go OL or WR with first pick I woul be happy to trade back into bottom of first round snd take him there.
Agreed. His medical history would make me hesitant to take him in the Top 5. Still, he could be a unicorn-like (that he excels despite his medical's).

Now we're talking John. ;)

Same for McCarthy I think that Washington Offense will be up to the task. McCarthy seems to be well touted but I have not seen enough eye popping plays from him.

Wtf are you talking about? His quick release is one of his strengths.
Long windup? Now you're just making **** up
He has a quick snappy release as he has very quick wrists but the rest of it leads to what I call a long windup though is a little bit semantics though scouts do mention it with those words.
It's more about his poor mechanics, he tends to have poor shoulder and hip turn, drops his front arm so he opens up to throw, which is why his accuracy can be all over the place. He makes up for it with arm strength and the very quick wrists but also adds to how long it takes to throw from start to finish. Can he fix his mechanics in the pros? Starting at age 24 is it going to be easy?
I will give you he has a WOW arm, but will he be able to change some of his mechanics to get more accurate? I have doubts but without doing that he won't succeed at the NFL level so you have way more projection with him. Too much projection for a 24-year-old with an injury history to be a 1st round pick.

Did you watch Maye vs. Clemson?
Yes, I watched the 2 games side by side, Maye was more impressive for sure. His receiver separation averaged like 1 yard, he was pressured with free runners regularly, receiver ran bad routes. He made a couple bad throws, and some were hard to tell if they were throwaways or thrown high which is where he tends to miss. They almost never throw screen passes, everything downfield so no easy throws. I've watched every throw he made in 5 or 6 games.
With the Pats out I've watched hours of video on the QB's. Williams will be a good NFL starter, Maye I'm waiting on the combine but I think he will blow away the combine so much he may go above Willimas though Williams is slightly better prospect.

Not sold on Daniels completely, lots to like, but quite a few question marks in translating to NFL. I'd take him but the risk is higher than Maye and Williams.
Ewers in another year will be a top 2 pick in the draft so think he stays for more seasoning.
Everyone else is just a shot in the dark they can translate to the NFL. To me nobody else you take in the first round, so if the top 3 are not there take the WR or Tackle and take a shot at QB in round 2 or 3. Penix is in that mix, I have him above NIX and JJ for sure. Spencer Rattler I really like in that range.

Is there a possibility, when all is said and done, that all five of the top QB's in this draft (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, Nix) all wind up with first rounds grades that would be feasible to draft in the top 10? Not to mention a guy like McCarthy after that could be in play in round 2.

Sure picked a great year to need a QB.

Is there a possibility, when all is said and done, that all five of the top QB's in this draft (Williams, Maye, Daniels, Penix, Nix) all wind up with first rounds grades that would be feasible to draft in the top 10? Not to mention a guy like McCarthy after that could be in play in round 2.

Sure picked a great year to need a QB.
If so, then it becomes a matter of our draft position and who we pick (and what kind of a QB they become and talent put around them from the O-Line and skill players).

the cards just gave KMurray a huge extension... they walk away from him, huge cap hit, even bigger dead money... they might not be in the qb markAnt team trading for Murray would be doing a Russel Wilson contract situation (with Murray obviously being younger).
Trading for Murray would incur a horrible cap hit, a Russel Wilson type situation (with Murray just being younger and less accomplished).

The guys on Patriots.com did state that if you gave Maye Washington's offense, his numbers would be crazy awesome!

He has a quick snappy release as he has very quick wrists but the rest of it leads to what I call a long windup though is a little bit semantics though scouts do mention it with those words.
It's more about his poor mechanics, he tends to have poor shoulder and hip turn, drops his front arm so he opens up to throw, which is why his accuracy can be all over the place. He makes up for it with arm strength and the very quick wrists but also adds to how long it takes to throw from start to finish. Can he fix his mechanics in the pros? Starting at age 24 is it going to be easy?
I will give you he has a WOW arm, but will he be able to change some of his mechanics to get more accurate? I have doubts but without doing that he won't succeed at the NFL level so you have way more projection with him. Too much projection for a 24-year-old with an injury history to be a 1st round pick.
I could say the same for both Williams and Maye. On-field performance is the #1
criteria in evaluating a football player- and Maye had several really bad games.
I'm talking not getting drafted at all bad kind of games,especially vs. Clemson.
I was high on Maye until then.
As for Williams- hell no! He has too many issues. And he has been mediocre-bad this,year. Don't wanna hear any Mahomes comparisons he's nowhere close to Mahomes and never will be.
He's the last qb I'd take.
Every qb in the draft has flaws. It comes down to who can overcome/correct those flaws the most to become a good nfl qb.
But toughness and leadership are 2 things very hard to teach.
Brady always had both in college. Mac Jones had neither. Penix and Daniels have both but Williams has neither.
It's not Williams height I'm concerned with,it's his head and his heart....
...as in both are missing

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back