PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 2: Patriots Lose to Dolphins 24-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Can’t put the game in the hands of the refs and NY.

I really don't know what to think of Mac. At times his throws look like crap, but then he does enough to think if they only gave him some more time to survey the field. He drops back 3 feet and the pressure is already there on most drop backs.

This team will have to hit rock bottom, before it can rise from the ashes again. Talent is needed at so many spots. They need blue chippers that come with top 10 draft picks. A 6 win season would be a blessing long term for this team.
The defense is good, not great but good. The offense is average to below average and is missing fire and cohesion.
I do not blame MAC, at all...but even if he had top tier talent his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins does not get you to the Super Bowl.
Kirk Cousins is way better than Mac Jones and here in lies the problem, Kirk Cousins scored points and put up big yardage in Washington on a dreadful team.

He doesn't even look like his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. He threw for almost 5000 yards with people like Pierre Garcon and Jamison Crowder before he got to Minnesota with weapons.

We could have Marvin Harrison Jr. available to be drafted, and Belichick would just trade down for a backup left guard.

We could have Jerry Rice but when your QB is Mac and he's get pressured he's gonna panic and eat a sack.

This team will have to hit rock bottom, before it can rise from the ashes again. Talent is needed at so many spots. They need blue chippers that come with top 10 draft picks. A 6 win season would be a blessing long term for this team.
The defense is good, not great but good. The offense is average to below average and is missing fire and cohesion.
I do not blame MAC, at all...but even if he had top tier talent his ceiling is Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins does not get you to the Super Bowl.
He completed 70% of his passes, he's not the problem, O-line is an issue. If they could protect him and get the running game going things would look different.

I think that is only fair if BB had made really serious improvements in 4 years and had the team looking like a serious contender. There just seemed to be no plan
There was and is a plan. And we can't make a final determination based off of 2 games. This will all sort itself all out and if they finish 6-11 or something along those lines, we'll see what happens. But as I said in the game thread, I don't think they'll look like this 4 weeks from now. And fortunately, the rest of the Conference also stinks, which is what may allow them to weather this.

The main problem with this game... Bill Belichick. Team is undisciplined and makes key errors in big moments and they lack the talent to overcome top NFL squads. Both rest on his shoulders.
This too. When you factor in Bill's GM power, this is 90% on him. It sounds negative, but this is what the Pats will be the rest of Bill's tenure.

MID. One big TEASE.

They schemed around the pressure well.....there's a reason they didn't have an offensive play over 13 yards until the 4th.....tackle play was an issue
The Miami front was tired in the 4th, and they could open it up a little more

On Offense......I am surprised MJ wasnt sacked more often......that O-line looked like a turn style....
On Defense.....That run defense was ....pretty pathetic...and their pass coveraged looked to be in a low gear.....
It all starts in the trenches.....

Thanks - saves me the time to read thorough it. More time for employee reviews.
Hah, it's that time of year for me too. We hired a ton of people in September I guess.

On the lateral to Strange - when he was down, the ball was oriented North/South. The leading tip of the ball was right at his elbow, which was clearly past the LoG. Even if it could have been a bit short, the evidence was not there.

Domestic Abuser and Waddle had 126 yards combined and 1/4 (32 yards) of that came on 1 play, and much of the game Pats were without their #1 (or #2 depends on if you think Gonzalez is #1), #3 and #4 CB.

Looking at the schedule, and this offense…I’m struggling to find a confident win for the next 6 games.

You can say Jets, but that will be the best defense we have seen.

And the fact they didn’t even measure. It was irrefutable to them
that's a good point. How did they see where to spot the ball? You need an angle directly down the line or it's not valid.

He completed 70% of his passes, he's not the problem, O-line is an issue. If they could p[rotect him and get the running game going things would look different.
That and Jones isn't throwing to Tyreek Hill or Waddle. The last time he had Waddle to throw to, he won a national championship.

I honestly have no idea how good Mac is or isn't.

He's on coordinator #3 in 3 seasons.

He had the worst offensive coaching seasons in history in his second.

The offensive line is bottom of the barrel to the point they have to call quick plays to hide their inadequacy.

So, who is Mac Jones? I have no clue.

And THAT is the real problem.

Guys, and this also goes for @FCB02062 , I hated the move also but the guy lasted all of three more seasons (and solidified his legacy with the win in Tampa). If they picked Brady, he'd be gone and they'd be in the same position with who knows at QB, just a different name. This reality was coming, it just would have been in another form. "It is what it is." Let it go.
we talked Kraft v Parcels forever, until Belichick and Brady came and it turned up roses...Brady v Belichick is valid IMHO. everyone calls the coach a genius, greatest of all time...if that is true, how is he under .500. it's also valid because so many on here have blind faith in a coach, whom up until **** Rehbein found Brady, was well below .500. Until something changes with the coaches offensive talent acquisition this team isn't going to improve

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back