PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 DL Discussion

hornetfb85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Yes, I know it is too early for this talk, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Last year we once Ekuale joined the team in week 3 we went with 8 DL on the active roster (typically 7 on the gameday roster and 1 inactive)

SnapCounts:
D. Wise - 73.4%
D. Godchaux - 58.3%
L. Guy - 44.5% (3 games inactive)
D. Ekuale - 32.2% (2 game susp)
C. Barmore - 29.1% (7 games inactive/IR)
C. Davis - 19.4%
S. Roberts - Primarily Inactive
D. Mitchell - Primarily Special Teams

These questions/thoughts/observations are assuming that we go with the same roster construction as last year.

Roster Locks:
D. Wise - Not going anywhere
K. White - Can take some of the pressure off of Wise and keep him fresher.
D. Godchaux - Not going anywhere
C. Barmore - My pick to take a major leap forward this year

Near Lock:
D. Ekuale - Cheap and plays his role well
L. Guy - Solid player and vet presence. Will they cut their Man of the Year candidate. Doubt it but who knows with BB.

Upgrade Possible:
C. Davis - Wouldn't mind a slightly more impactful guy (A'Shawn Robinson) that could maybe take Godchaux spot next year, but Davis is fine in his role as well.

Spot 8:
Who knows between D. Mitchell and S. Roberts. D. Mitchell provides special teams so I probably would go with him.

So quite honestly, unless they make another signing, not a whole lot to think about here. We can all move on now.

Leaving James Harden GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

Keondre Coburn of Texas or Scott Matlock from Boise State would have been nice additions. We are susceptible to powerful gap power OLs, if they still exist, to being gashed. Especially if Carl Davis gets hurt.

But we took a punter instead.

Or, instead of the wasted pick on Amer Speed, we could have drafted local boy from Coastal Carolina, Jerrod Clark.

Atonio Mafi is going to be a man wrecker in TC.

Davis had a serious concussion problem in 2020. Missed several games, came back, then went out again. Puts a perpetual question mark on his durability.

I'm starting to think Barmore is what he is. Good player. Shows flashes. Has a high ceiling but there is always something impeding his ability to reach it.
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that thinking.. at his apex he can be a Chris Jones type force.. he came into the league nursing a knee injury at Alabama.. as the saying goes when you come into the league hurt you don't get healthier. The guy showed power, speed and athletic ability his rookie season. I'd like to think he just wasn't 100% last season.. however the clock is ticking for him as well.. availability is the best ability.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in that thinking.. at his apex he can be a Chris Jones type force.. he came into the league nursing a knee injury at Alabama.. as the saying goes when you come into the league hurt you don't get healthier. The guy showed power, speed and athletic ability his rookie season. I'd like to think he just wasn't 100% last season.. however the clock is ticking for him as well.. availability is the best ability.
Lets hope he turns into Uche

He is under contract.

With that said they save $3m if hes released before the start of the year.
Would not be surprised at all to see him released or contract restructured. However he's a team leader, excellent man in the community just an all around great person!

Yes, I know it is too early for this talk, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Last year we once Ekuale joined the team in week 3 we went with 8 DL on the active roster (typically 7 on the gameday roster and 1 inactive)

SnapCounts:
D. Wise - 73.4%
D. Godchaux - 58.3%
L. Guy - 44.5% (3 games inactive)
D. Ekuale - 32.2% (2 game susp)
C. Barmore - 29.1% (7 games inactive/IR)
C. Davis - 19.4%
S. Roberts - Primarily Inactive
D. Mitchell - Primarily Special Teams

These questions/thoughts/observations are assuming that we go with the same roster construction as last year.

Roster Locks:
D. Wise - Not going anywhere
K. White - Can take some of the pressure off of Wise and keep him fresher.
D. Godchaux - Not going anywhere
C. Barmore - My pick to take a major leap forward this year

Near Lock:
D. Ekuale - Cheap and plays his role well
L. Guy - Solid player and vet presence. Will they cut their Man of the Year candidate. Doubt it but who knows with BB.

Upgrade Possible:
C. Davis - Wouldn't mind a slightly more impactful guy (A'Shawn Robinson) that could maybe take Godchaux spot next year, but Davis is fine in his role as well.

Spot 8:
Who knows between D. Mitchell and S. Roberts. D. Mitchell provides special teams so I probably would go with him.

So quite honestly, unless they make another signing, not a whole lot to think about here. We can all move on now.

Leaving James Harden GIF by Farmers Insurance ®
I have Mitchell as a STO player. He could be beaten out by another STer.

Would have liked some help at IDL in the draft, especially after having no definitive help added at ILB. Always fall in love with some of these 330lb+ NTs in the draft year after year that never come to fruition. It seems like a lot of middling with the DT group, from a standpoint of not too bad of drop off between the top to bottom. That’s great from an injury POV with not facing too much drop off, but would be nice to have a little more pecking order and higher end play. Godchaux seems like a net neutral player—mostly average but no real consistent plus add. Barmore becoming a consistent difference maker would shift things completely.

Last edited:
White and a healthy Barmore could have this defensive line dominating.

White and Wise both are good on the edge against the run but better inside against the pass. I think you will see a lot of those two creating a bunch of different looks for opposing offenses.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back