PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 DL Discussion

Hope Perk turns into Uche how about hoping Perk turns into a decent rotational guy that would suffice. Based on last year he's a PS guy now.

That is why it says "hope". But someone who wants to criticize does not understand "hope".

White may end up being our best pick for the simple fact he can spell Wise. Wise plays more snaps than anybody and doesn't even come close to double digit sacks. I personally want Wise gone but he seems like a lock.

With the talk of Guy's age, we seem a little short at dt imo. Ekuale and Davis are decent but not quite as good as I would like.

Why would you want WISE gone? He's developed into a very good player on the D-line. His development has helped the team cross the 50 sacks in a season plateau.

I agree that Ekuale and Davis are both guys who could be upgraded. It remains to be seen whether or not they can get an upgrade over one or both of them.

Guy really started to show his age last year. He started off slow and somewhat of a liability and got better after a few weeks. Having that upgrade over Ekuale/Davis who can push Guy would be a definite plus.

That is why it says "hope". But someone who wants to criticize does not understand "hope".
Me criticize not me.
I Didnt Desus And Mero GIF by Bernie Sanders

I'm starting to think Barmore is what he is. Good player. Shows flashes. Has a high ceiling but there is always something impeding his ability to reach it.
Just 2 seasons though. Now, if year 3 is more of the same then... Yeah.

Hope Perk turns into Uche how about hoping Perk turns into a decent rotational guy that would suffice. Based on last year he's a PS guy now.

So, he's a PS guy based on the fact he was on the IR all last year???

fair enough

I hope that we win the Super Bowl this year I expect no discussion saying that this is nreasonable. :)

On this message board, I believe that our posted hopes are open for discussion.

So, he's a PS guy based on the fact he was on the IR all last year???
He was healthy in the Preseason and looked lost out there. He was also getting pushed around in the games. I hope he lives up to that Third Round selection.

Ekuale is a JAG. If Roberts can't beat out Ekuale then he is a JAG too.
I don't understand the issue.

We always have JAG's in the bottom few players of the roster. That is the place for marginal NFL players.

Yes, Ekuale is a JAG.

Yes, I would like to see Ekuale upgraded, although I don't expect it to happen.

Ekuale has shown what he has shown. He is an inexpensive backup DL, who knows the system and is good enough to get playing time.

Personally, I don't think that Roberts will upgrade him on the 53 man roster. Sure it could happen. Do I HOPE it happens? Sure! It would be great. I'm all for upgrades at any position.

Hoping Perkins is on a similar path to what Uche did. Did nothing year one, showed a little something year two, then really showed up year three. Perkins may be a year behind. I would say if he does not show any improvement this year and somewhat get in the rotation, that would be very telling. Hopefully he shows out a bit this summer and fall.

I don't understand the issue.

We always have JAG's in the bottom few players of the roster. That is the place for marginal NFL players.

Yes, Ekuale is a JAG.

Yes, I would like to see Ekuale upgraded, although I don't expect it to happen.

Ekuale has shown what he has shown. He is an inexpensive backup DL, who knows the system and is good enough to get playing time.

Personally, I don't think that Roberts will upgrade him on the 53 man roster. Sure it could happen. Do I HOPE it happens? Sure! It would be great. I'm all for upgrades at any position.

The Pats kept Roberts on the 53 last year to avoid the practice squad. Therefore the Pats were trying to protect Roberts. They have never protected a player they thought would be a JAG. We will see.

Why would you want WISE gone? He's developed into a very good player on the D-line. His development has helped the team cross the 50 sacks in a season plateau.

I agree that Ekuale and Davis are both guys who could be upgraded. It remains to be seen whether or not they can get an upgrade over one or both of them.

Guy really started to show his age last year. He started off slow and somewhat of a liability and got better after a few weeks. Having that upgrade over Ekuale/Davis who can push Guy would be a definite plus.
A few things. I have consistently disliked Wise for a few seasons. I believe it started in our playoff loss to the Titans where he was the ONLY guy being blown off the line of scrimmage and now his lack of strength is just always on display for me. He had one great game against the Ravens where he had like 3 sacks and still finished the year with only 7.5. Subtract that one game and he is at his usual 3-5 sacks a year and that isn't enough for an edge player that gets as many snaps as he does. He hasn't improved whatsoever imo. He looks the part but is not an impact player and I feel our team would get those 50 sacks with or without him. He and Bentley are the two players I have borderline hate for but have accepted they aren't going anywhere. Let me dream of Wise losing snaps lol.

Guy is still good enough imo. I believe he was dealing with a shoulder issue last year. If healthy, I expect him to be the same guy we've always seen. I do expect us to find one more dt that is similar to Guy to improve our depth. I think our defense can actually be elite if they settle McCourty's spot. Just little things that can go a long way need to be addressed early because our defense might need to carry this team this season.

Very Early Preseason Likely to be Wrong 53 man:

QB (2): M. Jones, B. Zappe
RB (4): R. Stevenson, J. Robinson, P. Strong, K. Harris
WR (5): J. Smith-Schuster, D. Parker, K. Bourne, T. Thornton, K. Boutte
TE (2): H. Henry, M. Gesicki
OL (9): T. Brown, C. Strange, D. Andrews, M. Onwenu, R. Reiff, C. Anderson, S. Sow, J. Andrews, A. Mafi

J. Andrews and A. Mafi over K. Russey and C. Hines was the toughest decisions on offense. If Sow proves he is not capable at T, then McDermott in for Mafi.

DL (7): D. Wise, D. Godchaux, C. Barmore, K. White, D. Ekuale, L. Guy, C. Davis
LB (7): J. Bentley, M. Judon, J. Uche, J. Tavai, M. Mapu, A. Jennings, R. McMillan
CB (6): C. Gonzalez, Jo. Jones, M. Jones, Ja. Jones, M. Bryant, I. Bolden
S (4): K. Dugger, A. Phillips, J. Mills, J. Peppers

Hopefully a DL gets added to battle with Guy and C. Davis. S. Roberts can maybe get in there over one of those two.
A. Jennings and R. McMillan over R. Perkins and M. Wilson were the toughest decisions on defense.
4 safeties is a little light, but Jo. Jones can move there if needed. I. Bolden is in the S. Wade spot from last year.

K: C. Ryland
P: B. Baringer
LS: J. Cardona
ST: M. Slater, C. Board, B. Schooler, D. Mitchell

Mitchell over Davis and Speed for the last ST spot.

Just 2 seasons though. Now, if year 3 is more of the same then... Yeah.
I believe will barmore it's just his availability that has been impeding his growth as a player. It's hard to be impactful or reach potential when you're on IR or either recovering from injury. I love the guy he's a force. We just need him to be available more as he makes us more of a force on the D line..

Hoping Perkins is on a similar path to what Uche did. Did nothing year one, showed a little something year two, then really showed up year three. Perkins may be a year behind. I would say if he does not show any improvement this year and somewhat get in the rotation, that would be very telling. Hopefully he shows out a bit this summer and fall.
Uche always flashed some ability. Perkins has been a lump

A few things. I have consistently disliked Wise for a few seasons. I believe it started in our playoff loss to the Titans where he was the ONLY guy being blown off the line of scrimmage and now his lack of strength is just always on display for me. He had one great game against the Ravens where he had like 3 sacks and still finished the year with only 7.5. Subtract that one game and he is at his usual 3-5 sacks a year and that isn't enough for an edge player that gets as many snaps as he does. He hasn't improved whatsoever imo. He looks the part but is not an impact player and I feel our team would get those 50 sacks with or without him. He and Bentley are the two players I have borderline hate for but have accepted they aren't going anywhere. Let me dream of Wise losing snaps lol.
He's not really a traditional edge player though. He is on some fronts, but the true edge players are Judon and Uche. Pats play an Okie 3-4 front.

And why hold his best season against him? He sacked a mobile QB 3 times in Jackson and you have a problem with that?

This is like the argument people have saying a RB only rushed for 50 through 3 quarters and then late in the 4th he busted out for a 50+ yard TD that was difference, so if it weren't for that one play he didn't play that great.

He's not really a traditional edge player though. He is on some fronts, but the true edge players are Judon and Uche. Pats play an Okie 3-4 front.

And why hold his best season against him? He sacked a mobile QB 3 times in Jackson and you have a problem with that?

This is like the argument people have saying a RB only rushed for 50 through 3 quarters and then late in the 4th he busted out for a 50+ yard TD that was difference, so if it weren't for that one play he didn't play that great.
I'm not trying to hold that game against him. He played out of his mind and then was his usual non impact self for every other game. One good game doesn't erase my image of him. He is on the field more than Judon and has just as many pure rushing attempts on the edge without the results. They use Wise like they did Trey Flowers but he doesn't sniff what Flowers gave us especially in run defense. I wish he could make me eat these words but he hasn't for like 3 seasons. I feel like someone like Ndamukong Suh would put us over the top. We used to collect old defensive tackles with decent results e.g. Gerad Warren, Shaun Ellis etc.

I believe Wise has transitioned himself into a complete D lineman.. he can play the run and rush the passer.. he has tremendous length and a high motor. He makes his plays off effort. It's east for me to like guys like wise becuase he worked hard to get to where he is. He wasn't some high round draft pick . But hey everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

Usually I have the St. Louis Cardinals to occupy some of my mind, but holy Schnikes they are awful. Now all I got is football and my mind is just racing about our battle for the 7th DL. It’s crazy

Keondre Coburn of Texas or Scott Matlock from Boise State would have been nice additions. We are susceptible to powerful gap power OLs, if they still exist, to being gashed. Especially if Carl Davis gets hurt.

But we took a punter instead.

Or, instead of the wasted pick on Amer Speed, we could have drafted local boy from Coastal Carolina, Jerrod Clark.

Atonio Mafi is going to be a man wrecker in TC.
We have no punter, we got what, at least by appearance, may very well be a spectacular punter. Oh noes! BB iz stupidz!

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back