PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 PTP Draft Board / Pats Draft Talk

Ok so you're hoping that Strange turns out to be a Diva of an OL who destroys every locker room he sets foot in within 9-18 months time and asks for maximum salary while causing maximum headaches for his coach? Strange desires you have there...
Would never want a Terrell Owens type regardless of talent

Hines is very athletic - I would be surprised if he does not beat out Ferentz. Russey is a Binkie type - hope the pit bull makes it.
I think Hines is a better G then C and Russey may end up being the C backup and possibly the starter someday...IMO.

I think Hines is a better G then C and Russey may end up being the C backup and possibly the starter someday...IMO.
I'm always the odd man out when discussing which 1 or 2 of the 25 of the 6th rounders, 7th rounders and UDFA's will make the 53. Projecting one of them to stay with the team long enough to be a starter is way beyond my analytic abilities.

For me, we have a serious need at backup center and backup guard. Personally, I would be surprised if either of these positions is filled by a late rounder or by an UDFA. For me, Sherman is possible; Dejarlais is possible. Even Hambright is possible. For me, we are most likely to fill the backup center position with a veteran.

I guess that I trust the GM's and staffs more than most. Sure, it's "possible" to find a center in the late rounds or as a UDFA that would be able to be the Game One backup center, AND that Belichick would trust them to perform this role. I just think that Belichick is more likely to choose a veteran. Even if one of the late rookies seems to be a future star(ter), I would expect us to sign a veteran OG/OC.
===============
I GUESS THAT I UNDERSTAND YOU ALL BETTER
Many of you seem to think that future starters and this year's Game Day IOL backups are available in the 6th round, 7th round or among UDFA's.

It would probably follow that IOL's should be drafted in the 1st and 2nd. And many analysts agreed. They had the following out of the first: Green, Johnson, and Linderbaum. Some even had Penning in the 2nd. Were you all surprised at all with Green at 15, Johnson at 16 and Penning at 18? Or do you simply disagree with their analysis? Belichick was NOT happy at all with the run of OL's, especially IOL's. He traded down, and hoped that no one would choose Strange (the #3 OG on many boards) before 29. He had no intention waiting any longer, especially having seen the run continue with Smith at 24 and Linderbaum at 25.

Last edited:
I'm always the odd man out when discussing which 1 or 2 of the 25 of the 6th rounders, 7th rounders and UDFA's will make the 53. Projecting one of them to stay with the team long enough to be a starter is way beyond my analytic abilities.

For me, we have a serious need at backup center and backup guard. Personally, I would be surprised if either of these positions is filled by a late rounder or by an UDFA. For me, Sherman is possible; Dejarlais is possible. Even Hambright is possible. For me, we are most likely to fill the backup center position with a veteran.

I guess that I trust the GM's and staffs more than most. Sure, it's "possible" to find a center in the late rounds or as a UDFA that would be able to be the Game One backup center, AND that Belichick would trust them to perform this role. I just think that Belichick is more likely to choose a veteran. Even if one of the late rookies seems to be a future star(ter), I would expect us to sign a veteran OG/OC.
===============
I GUESS THAT I UNDERSTAND YOU ALL BETTER
Many of you seem to think that future starters and this year's Game Day IOL backups are available in the 6th round, 7th round or among UDFA's.

It would probably follow that IOL's should be drafted in the 1st and 2nd. And many analysts agreed. They had the following out of the first: Green, Johnson, and Linderbaum. Some even had Penning in the 2nd. Were you all surprised at all with Green at 15, Johnson at 16 and Penning at 18? Or do you simply disagree with their analysis? Belichick was NOT happy at all with the run of OL's, especially IOL's. He traded down, and hoped that no one would choose Strange (the #3 OG on many boards) before 29. He had no intention waiting any longer, especially having seen the run continue with Smith at 24 and Linderbaum at 25.
David Andrews would be an example of an UDFA that has had some success at IOL. Possibly Onwenu (drafted 6th round) as well.

David Andrews would be an example of an UDFA that has had some success at IOL. Possibly Onwenu (drafted 6th round) as well.

Yes, these 2 in seven years have been excellent pickups. And this is probably a better record than almost any other team. Two starters in seven years - AWESOME.

The issue is how likely is it that we pick up IOL's in the 6th or later. Also, how much should Belichick count on finding players late, or depending on them, rather than signing a vet or two. The reality is that the percentage of these players that make the 53 is low, and the percentage who are active for Game One is even lower.

What were the numbers for 2021 late rounders?

All I am saying is that these players are long, long shots that every team passed on 5-7 times, even when they had considerable needs. I strongly agree that the patriots have been the very best at doing well with these players, especially at OL and CB. The team is so good at finding these players that we can expect a couple each year to make the Practice Squad.

Maybe Strange is a diamond in the rough or maybe he ends up like a lot of his predecessors. Who knows. We about to find out. Hopefully, he's the Terrel Owens of OL-men.
I strongly disagree. Team has an IOL rated as a 1st to 3rd round draft pick. That is NOT a diamond in the rough for an IOL. Rather, that is a very high ranking. And yes, it seems that five teams had him rated as 1st or 2nd round talent.

Wow, you are sensitive to any criticism of the Pats, even fairly mild criticism. Maybe, put down the Pom poms for a bit. Johnny come lately? I’ve been around here for more than a decade. BTW I didn‘t criticism the trade down. There are players we did pass on and time will tell on those extra picks, but my question really after the draft had settled. Was whether it was good to go guard then WR or vice versa, even if it meant losing out on Strange and getting the second best guard on the Pats board. And the WR for comparison the Pats could have if they went WR first was Christian Watson then they still may have gotten Strange or their next rated guard.

ROFLMAO. No. Not sensitive to criticism of the Pats. But you should have a farkin clue what you're talking about. And you DON'T. Yes. You're a "Johnny-Come-Lately" in regards to b**tching about Cole Strange. You literally spewed a bunch of garbage that you don't even understand. You couldn't be bothered to read any of the other threads before running your mouth on what YOU "buy".

Maybe you should go back and read your own post because you're the one who was prattling on about "Opportunity Cost". You failed to acknowledge what was gained by trading down. That tells everyone you don't really understand what you're talking about.

You made a statement about other guards being rated higher. When challenged, you couldn't name a single one. You also failed to take intro consideration that there is a good chance that the Patriots are projecting Strange to LT since he's the same height/weight/arm length as Matt Light. The difference between Strange and Light? Strange had better testing numbers.

If the 2nd best guard on the Pats list wasn't rated until a 4th or 5th round, that kind of throws out the whole idea that taking someone like Watson would be better. This is what people like yourself fail to consider. You look at only YOUR way of thinking without the possibility of the same scenarios you throw out, but in reverse..

Is Christian Watson an actual comparison? Or was he just someone you preferred based on the Info the Draftnicks throw out? Please tell us the grade that the Patriots had on Watson compared to Strange. Do you REALLY think the Patriots didn't take the player who was on the top of their list?

You talk about competition for Strange, but then you fail to mention the level of Competition for Watson. I mean, the All-Missouri Valley Football Conference is such a paragon of toughness, right? Baylor is at least in the Big12. Thornton went up against people at Oklahoma, Ok. State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, etc.

Lastly, going into this draft, there was no consensus. Not on the top picks, not on most of the other players. A look at the UDFA shows you that the draftnicks were wildly wrong on MANY of their evaluations. This draft is the epitome of showing that the Draftnicks are good for gathering data. But you need to take their evaluations with a grain of salt. Particularly when it comes to how the TEAMS actually view players. Strange is a perfect example. At least 4 teams had a 1st round grade on him.. That's a far cry from the draftnicks who said he was a ":consensus" 3rd round pick. Someone posted earlier that many teams had a 2nd round grade on Thornton. That's a far cry from the draftnicks claims of a 5th round pick. The Draftnicks downgraded Thornton harshly on the size of his hands/wrists. That is despite never having a hand/wrist injury in college and the fact he won MANY contested catches and didn't fumble much.

Yes, these 2 in seven years have been excellent pickups. And this is probably a better record than almost any other team. Two starters in seven years - AWESOME.

The issue is how likely is it that we pick up IOL's in the 6th or later. Also, how much should Belichick count on finding players late, or depending on them, rather than signing a vet or two. The reality is that the percentage of these players that make the 53 is low, and the percentage who are active for Game One is even lower.

What were the numbers for 2021 late rounders?

All I am saying is that these players are long, long shots that every team passed on 5-7 times, even when they had considerable needs. I strongly agree that the patriots have been the very best at doing well with these players, especially at OL and CB. The team is so good at finding these players that we can expect a couple each year to make the Practice Squad.
I think the Patriots over the past 22 years have done a very good job at finding UDFA's which have turned into starters and / or productive players.

Wow, you are sensitive to any criticism of the Pats, even fairly mild criticism. Maybe, put down the Pom poms for a bit. Johnny come lately? I’ve been around here for more than a decade. BTW I didn‘t criticism the trade down. There are players we did pass on and time will tell on those extra picks, but my question really after the draft had settled. Was whether it was good to go guard then WR or vice versa, even if it meant losing out on Strange and getting the second best guard on the Pats board. And the WR for comparison the Pats could have if they went WR first was Christian Watson then they still may have gotten Strange or their next rated guard.
Don't mind him. He's the forum's resident 'Old man yelling at the sky'. He hates all the kids who walk on his lawn.

1652149548742.png

He's a legit fan unlike many on this forum, so his rants are righteous. My favorite poster these days.
Skinnydog made a post that wasn’t mean or directing any ill will at anyone. The response he received was “you’re a Johnny come lately”. Wasn’t called for at all and it’s typical of DaBruins. The forum should be open for all types of opinions and discussion.

Skinnydog made a post that wasn’t mean or directing any ill will at anyone. The response he received was “you’re a Johnny come lately”. Wasn’t called for at all and it’s typical of DaBruins. The forum should be open for all types of opinions and discussion.
But don't wet yourself if it's a rash or dumb opinion and you get strong feedback, ok, Boomer?

I think the Patriots over the past 22 years have done a very good job at finding UDFA's which have turned into starters and / or productive players.
THEREFORE, we should count on the 2022 UDFA's to fill positions as Game Fay backups at OG, OT and C???

This is the issue. Bring in 50 players if you wish; perhaps 10 punters. Maybe we'll find a future player or two or three. Maybe, we'll find 1-3 players for the Practice Squad.

HOWEVER, at the same time IMO Belichick will bring in a vet or two at those positions. In addition, he won't cut Ferentz, Cajuste, and Herron merely because posters think their replacements have been found in the UDFA market. (He won't cut the other possible backups either).

My point is that each of the 6th rounders, 7th rounders and UDFA's are long shots to make the make the 53 man roster to start the season. Surely, no ONE players is better than 50%. This is fine. This is normal. Maybe with enough thrown at the wall, a player or two will make it, or not.

My point is that each of the 6th rounders, 7th rounders and UDFA's are long shots to make the make the 53 man roster to start the season. Surely, no ONE players is better than 50%. This is fine. This is normal. Maybe with enough thrown at the wall, a player or two will make it, or not.
Our 6th round pick Hines and 7th round pick Steuber are going to make the team. Ashley's prediction!!!

I like both picks and think they will add great depth to our 0-line.

Our 6th round pick Hines and 7th round pick Steuber are going to make the team. Ashley's prediction!!!

I agree that barring injury both of them should make the team...but is that more an indictment of their competition than it is a compliment?

Yes. Russey is an undersized but very effective center. Strong as an ox. Hines would have been drafted higher—just like Onwenu at Michigan who got up to 365-370 during his collegiate career in Ann Arbir—if his weight had been kept down.

And Steuber’s decided lack of athleticism makes him a better candidate at guard.

I still can’t get over his lackluster bench press. Russey did 38 and the Darian, Conn., native did 17.

Hines more likely than practice squad candidate Steuber. Although he shined at the Senior Bowl, he clearly lacks the athleticism and strength to play tackle in space against a speed rusher: 7.94 three cone, 23” vertical, and 17 bench presses.

A better candidate to make the team as a bona fide OT was from the rival school, Michigan State, with AJ Arcuri, who started 25 games at both tackle positions. The kid is slightly longer than Steuber but did 23 bench presses and his vertical was 33”. Not sure about his three cone.

He held up very well his senior season against the Big Ten and Pittsburgh in their bowl game.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back