PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 PTP Draft Board / Pats Draft Talk

What a steal by the Eagles...keeping 2 first rounders this year and getting an extra first rounder next year

Hard to pass-up with our last pick of Day 2 if he's still available... And that's the Earliest I will be looking for LBs, because as you've correctly stated, we do have numbers there including perhaps some un-tapped potential... That is certainly Not the case at DE.

Hard to pass-up with our last pick of Day 2 if he's still available... And that's the Earliest I will be looking for LBs, because as you've correctly stated, we do have numbers there including perhaps some un-tapped potential... That is certainly Not the case at DE.
exactly, we don't know right now what wilson mcgrone mcmillan can bring to the game for us. It wouldn't make sense to set them a high pick in front of their nose esp when they showed promises in practice. We need another bigger DE who can play the run early and kick inside on third down so we can use judon and a speed rushing LB with the DE and Barmore inside. This gives us opportunities for different line-ups, stunts etc

McShay just came out in an article above saying he wants us to draft Nakobi Dean. Talks about his FBI (football IQ) and he's spot on in this case. Dean is a smart MF on & off the field. I mentioned this somewhere in this thread before but Dean had a 4.0 in HS & college and majored in mechanical engineering. He's very intelligent with quick processing skills. He's undersized in general but if you've watched you know he's very physical. Especially for his size.
The undersized, skilled, yet highly physical guys do give me some pause. I call it the Bob Sanders corollary. Against NFL size and strength the body is too small to absorb the impacts and volume thereof it will be put through. Outstanding when they are on the field but will be limited in games and career duration. Especially at inside linebacker where we’re talking multiple impacts per play vs the run. Now, if they’re able to put some more big bodies in front of him and allow him to play without constantly engaging linemen that could dramatically change things.

yup DE is way more necessary for us than LB
We have the following LB options: McMillan, Bentley, Wilson, Hall, McGrone, Jennings, Perkins, Uche
DE: Wise, Judon, Perkins, Jennings

i did not list uche at DE because he seems to be no option there early in a 4-2 front. I also only listed Jennings and Perkins but we haven't seen them play there a lot so it's a lot uncertainty. And both Perkins and Jennings don't screem run stoppers from a size standpoint.
These hybrid guys like Perkins Jennings are a fit for OLB in a 3 man front if we play a 3-3 like last year a bit but not really a DE in 4-2.

Agreed. I am reading there are a lot of DEs. I also believe that Flowers is on his way back.

I love Jermaine Johnson but he is quite light for a DE, so I have no idea if he holds up in the NFL. Really quick guy, very smart, plays the run well, but is 254 lbs. going to hold up and punish NFL right tackles?

Thanks for the note. I did not realize that Elam is not physical. I think we need an outside DB that can run with the fast guys and cut with the quick guys like Diggs. Booth struggled against Olave, and Stingley was not always consistent - both flags to me. Elam seemed to handle all receivers successfully, both Williams and Metchie from Alabama, and play on or off the line. If he is available at 31 or 32 it seems like a no brainer to me.

Having said that Daxton Hill ran a 4.38 40, and was 6.57 3 cone (Edelman's 3 cone was 6.62 and he is one of the quickest guys I have ever seen) - that is better than the corners. We need to replace McCourty and the Pats scouts seem to like Alabama, Georgia and Michigan players. Will BB draft Hill and have him play outside corner for a year or two and then move him to FS in 2023 or 2024? That is what he did with DMac.

View attachment 42298

Wary of Michigan guyz drafted in the last 4 years.

Agreed. I am reading there are a lot of DEs. I also believe that Flowers is on his way back.

I love Jermaine Johnson but he is quite light for a DE, so I have no idea if he holds up in the NFL. Really quick guy, very smart, plays the run well, but is 254 lbs. going to hold up and punish NFL right tackles?

Strange, NFL DraftScout lists his weight at 260 at both the combine & his pro day,

yet NFL.com has him at 254:

At his height, arm length & hand size, he should project to being able to carry up to 265+ without negatively impacting his agility; although as an older prospect (23) he is closer to being maxed-out physically than others...

I've been high on Chenal based on prior LB measurables, but Anderson, Smith, Harris, and Muma look closer to what we are hearing the new direction at ILB/MLB will be. Frankly I think they fit all schemes and would welcome Anderson. I think he'd really shine here.

Last edited:

JJ is a player who may be out of reach. Would love to have him.

If we miss out on Flowers (or even if don’t he may sign 1 year deal) a player to keep an eye on is Josh Paschal from Kentucky. I think him a great fit here and a little bigger/stronger version of Trey.

Strange, NFL DraftScout lists his weight at 260 at both the combine & his pro day,

yet NFL.com has him at 254:

At his height, arm length & hand size, he should project to being able to carry up to 265+ without negatively impacting his agility; although as an older prospect (23) he is closer to being maxed-out physically than others...

If we miss out on Flowers (or even if don’t he may sign 1 year deal) a player to keep an eye on is Josh Paschal from Kentucky. I think him a great fit here and a little bigger/stronger version of Trey.

Anyone see why he transferred out of Georgia? Was stuck behind other players at Georgia in the SEC?

What a steal by the Eagles...keeping 2 first rounders this year and getting an extra first rounder next year
The part that doesn't make sense is the 2024 2nd rounder. Up till that point the trade seems balanced.

Yeah Paschal also reminds me of Tre Flowers; and for those same reasons he might still be available around the same time (late 3rd-top of 4th round) as Flowers was...

Yeah many of these will be drafted sooner - in some cases much sooner - than when PFF thinks they should go... I posted in another thread that on Friday Jim Miller & Pat Kirwin of Sirius NFL's Moving the Chains indeed mocked CB Kyler Gordon to us... at #21! Don't know if he'll go that early, but it wouldn't surprise to see him taken closer to 21 than to 56...
That’s the thing though isn’t it? In order for guys to move up, who is currently projected higher that you think is going to fall down? Both things have to happen.

Anyone see why he transferred out of Georgia? Was stuck behind other players at Georgia in the SEC?
I, myself don’t know the reason why but it’s nothing to be alarmed over. It’s what kids do now is use the transfer portal. But your reasoning is probably why. He was stuck behind those beasts on the DL. And that included Adam Anderson who was kicked off the team but was also ahead of Johnson.

I've been high on Chenal based on prior LB measurables, but Anderson, Smith, Harris, and Muma look closer to what we are hearing the new direction at ILB/MLB will be. Frankly I think they fit all schemes and would welcome Anderson. I think he'd really shine here.
You would want Chenal on the outside.

You would want Chenal on the outside.

Why is that? Is/was an ILB at Wisconsin. Here is the quote that suggests he is a run stopper and not much more even if he is fast. Sounds like a ILB.

According to PFF, he has played 136 of his 348 total snaps in pass coverage this season. Quarterbacks have completed 85.7% of their passes when throwing his way. He’s allowed the third-most receptions on the team (12 of 14 targets) for 97 yards, and pass-catchers are averaging 8.1 yards per catch against Chenal.

I know PFF is suspect, but pass completion % is about the toughest thing to get wrong. Allowing a 85.7% completion rate, 12 of 14, is ungodly.

From the athletic​

21. New England Patriots: Quay Walker, LB, Georgia​

There are other good options for the Patriots here: Zion Johnson, an excellent interior O-lineman who played down the road at Boston College; Burks; and Alabama speedster Jameson Williams. But Walker’s potential will be tough for New England to pass up. This is a big, physical, explosive dude at 6-foot-4, 241 pounds, who blazed a 4.52 40 for the national champions. Some inside the Georgia program expect him to be a better NFL player than Dean. He made 67 tackles and had 25 quarterback pressures last season, including a team-high eight tackles in the national title game.

The Coaching Intel

“He’s the prototypical NFL linebacker. He can run with wheel routes; can bend really well; is good in man coverage. You can blitz him. I think he has tremendous athletic upside.”

“He is freakishly athletic. You watch some of the plays he made on film where he’s stringing plays out all the way to the sideline, and he’s so long and has violent hands to get off blocks. I think he’ll be even better in the NFL than he was at Georgia.”

“He has excellent lateral movement for being so big — he’s like a power forward out there, but he is still a bit raw. He does take some false steps out there, but he runs so well he can overcome it.”

Been catching up on this thread & the draft. Good read as always BCG.

The pats should be able to get 3-4 contributors by maneuvering the board. They are also going to have to decide what vets at key positions can produce this season as they'll probably only have two rookies contribute right away.

CB Malcolm Butler
WR DeVante Parker/Nelson Agholor
NT Davon Godchaux
LB Bentley/Wilson/McGrone
LG Ferentz/Desjarlais
EDGE Uche/Perkins

That doesn't get into the uncertainty longterm at OT or FS either. Rookies will hopefully be able to contribute at some of these positions. Regardless, some vets will be relied upon to either improve from last season or be serviceable. While I was in favor of drafting CB early I think I'd prefer to see Butler in zone & pay up for a FA CB in 2023. Similarly Uche has flashed & Perkins was a 2nd round talent. Flowers makes sense as a veteran add rather than another top 50 pick at EDGE IMO.

Godchaux is who he is. He's a liability at NT & better suited for 3-4 DE. Bentley is more suited for an early down role & Wilson/McGrone/McMillan are fliers. Rookies in the front seven can contribute early and often.

1649117692743.png

Jones is a freak & has the pass rush ability to be a 3 down DT at the next level. Someone like Kenny Clark or Vita Vea would do alot for this defense. I defer to the forum at LB but picks 40-55 seems to be the sweet spot. Parker allows a rookie WR to come along slowly & Metchie or Pierce as a field stretcher in round 3 is a good fit IMO. Williams looks to be a lock for the top 20 at this point & I don't see the pats future WR1 coming in this draft. They need competition at guard & I wouldn't be opposed to an OT early either.

I'm excited for this draft after the team went BPA last year. Hopefully they can make it two in a row & continue the progress they've made so far.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back