PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 PTP Draft Board / Pats Draft Talk

. Williams looks to be a lock for the top 20 at this point

What if he is there at 21? Do you take him? I think they absolutely should if O'Brien and Saban give a thumbs up.

What if he is there at 21? Do you take him? I think they absolutely should if O'Brien and Saban give a thumbs up.
Depends on who else is there. I take Stingley or Jermaine Johnson before him

NO wanted to get in front of LA or they're making a push for a QB?

Howie finessed NO. 23 is a better QB class by miles and better overall. I wouldn't hate this for us if we didn't have more than a few holes.

Agreed. I am reading there are a lot of DEs. I also believe that Flowers is on his way back.

I love Jermaine Johnson but he is quite light for a DE, so I have no idea if he holds up in the NFL. Really quick guy, very smart, plays the run well, but is 254 lbs. going to hold up and punish NFL right tackles?
I believe johnson can do this. He looked good against ekwonu, i think BGC posted a clip where johnson faced ekwonu , he is strong , may need some time but if you get flowers back we could afford this and he can learn

Why is that? Is/was an ILB at Wisconsin. Here is the quote that suggests he is a run stopper and not much more even if he is fast. Sounds like a ILB.

According to PFF, he has played 136 of his 348 total snaps in pass coverage this season. Quarterbacks have completed 85.7% of their passes when throwing his way. He’s allowed the third-most receptions on the team (12 of 14 targets) for 97 yards, and pass-catchers are averaging 8.1 yards per catch against Chenal.

I know PFF is suspect, but pass completion % is about the toughest thing to get wrong. Allowing a 85.7% completion rate, 12 of 14, is ungodly.
TBH, I’m of the belief that if used correctly, Chenal could develop into a guy that can play all LB positions, and possibly even get adept at playing with his hands in the dirt. Like his coverage ability, it’s all going to come down to what kind of experience he gets and how he responds. If plugged in at OLB, it would allow him to use his strength and burst to set the edge, and rush the passer. He doesn’t have long arms, but his hands are heavy and he has a powerful lower body allowing him to take on pulls to blow up plays. Sure, he can take on traffic at MLB and sort the through trash, but playing MLB also puts him into backpedal situations more often, which I agree with you isn’t a strong point of his. I could be wrong, and maybe he can develop into a 3 down MLB, idk. I do know that he would be a great run stopper and blitzer up the middle though.

I believe johnson can do this. He looked good against ekwonu, i think BGC posted a clip where johnson faced ekwonu , he is strong , may need some time but if you get flowers back we could afford this and he can learn

Johnson is 22 so might have filled out? Maybe 10 more lbs? Maybe a new generation faster lighter guy? I am not sure. Seems like 21 should be a "sure fire" guy but I am not seeing one. Everyone at 21 seems light, or a little slow, or a little stiff. The more I look at clips the more I think we need to trade back and take an extra pick or two.

Hard to find a 3 down guy. Dax Hill? Kaiir Elam? Maybe a corner is closer to a 3 down guy?

TBH, I’m of the belief that if used correctly, Chenal could develop into a guy that can play all LB positions, and possibly even get adept at playing with his hands in the dirt. Like his coverage ability, it’s all going to come down to what kind of experience he gets and how he responds. If plugged in at OLB, it would allow him to use his strength and burst to set the edge, and rush the passer. He doesn’t have long arms, but his hands are heavy and he has a powerful lower body allowing him to take on pulls to blow up plays. Sure, he can take on traffic at MLB and sort the through trash, but playing MLB also puts him into backpedal situations more often, which I agree with you isn’t a strong point of his. I could be wrong, and maybe he can develop into a 3 down MLB, idk. I do know that he would be a great run stopper and blitzer up the middle though.

Just like my last post, rrun stuffer and inside blitzer is great but seems like at 21 we should get more than that. More than "he is weak in pass coverage but can grow into it". Mid 2nd seems OK, but I am still searching for that mid 1st, 3 down stud.

NO wanted to get in front of LA or they're making a push for a QB?

Howie finessed NO. 23 is a better QB class by miles and better overall. I wouldn't hate this for us if we didn't have more than a few holes.

I think they will trade up with NYG for the 5th or 7th pick

Just like my last post, rrun stuffer and inside blitzer is great but seems like at 21 we should get more than that. More than "he is weak in pass coverage but can grow into it". Mid 2nd seems OK, but I am still searching for that mid 1st, 3 down stud.
I don't think anyone is thinking about taking Chenal at 21. When I first started looking into him he was projected in 3/4 Rd. Hype may be raising him to the late 2nd, but I still think he's a 3rd Rounder.

I don't think anyone is thinking about taking Chenal at 21. When I first started looking into him he was projected in 3/4 Rd. Hype may be raising him to the late 2nd, but I still think he's a 3rd Rounder.

Thanks. Who is a 3 down guy at 21?

I like Jermaine Johnson, but he's probably going before 21.
Without trades, Johnson at 21 and Travis Jones in the second would make my day.

Johnson is 254 lbs. Very light for the DL. Big enough for college but is it big enough for the NFL? How do you know he will translate to the NFL? I am sure Johnson will be good but a Top 20 pick should be "can't miss" in my book.

From what I've been seeing/hearing about the cb's it looks like the top 3 (Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie) will all be gone by 21. Possibly Booth as well. The question then becomes, with cb, being our greatest need, is there value with the 21st pick to select the next best cb (Elam, Gordan, McCreary) with that pick. The issue is there are cb needy teams at the end of the 1st round that will likely pick one. Or do we trade back, take an O-lineman or d-lineman?

Johnson is 254 lbs. Very light for the DL. Big enough for college but is it big enough for the NFL? How do you know he will translate to the NFL? I am sure Johnson will be good but a Top 20 pick should be "can't miss" in my book.
I guess one can never truly know at this point but given his strength, success against high level opponents, the probability of putting on a few more pounds, and comparing him to say Rob Ninkovich size wise; I think he's worth that pick. Not to denigrate anyone else being hoped for, but at least he's healthy on top of being productive..

PTP updated (1st page)

I'll update it again once or twice more and that's it. Probably in a week or so once pro days are just about wrapped up and right before the draft.

Finishing up grading prospects which should be out in a day or two.

Johnson is 22 so might have filled out? Maybe 10 more lbs? Maybe a new generation faster lighter guy? I am not sure. Seems like 21 should be a "sure fire" guy but I am not seeing one. Everyone at 21 seems light, or a little slow, or a little stiff. The more I look at clips the more I think we need to trade back and take an extra pick or two.

Hard to find a 3 down guy. Dax Hill? Kaiir Elam? Maybe a corner is closer to a 3 down guy?
I would be so thrilled if Johnson is there at 21 which I think does not happen, he has a legit shot at top 15 imo. It’s about projection. Does BB project Johnson to be a three down guy for us ? Then take him instant. I believe he would start right away at Edge opposite of Judon when I look st our current roster. He showed toughness against the run. I suggest everyone to look at the game against ekwonu, one of the best run blocking tackles in college football

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back