PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Mock Drafts

Before talking about any mock I need to talk about where they are. In the off season I stated, and was often shot down, for saying I didn't like a lot of the contracts we made that year. Particularly paying top market deals for pretty good but not great TEs. While having B- players on the field is good, you can't just flood the field with them and expect to win by trying to consistently win that 5th match up. Cause even when you do, your player in question can't REALLY make the team play.

To quote the much hated Felger and Mazz, 2 ponies for a horse doesn't work. I feel like this is a team right now LITTERED with ponies and very few horses. It can help you beat bad teams, but what about when you face good ones?

Ask yourself this.... who are the best players on this team right now? In order... #1 Judon. #2 Harris.... #3 .... some OL men and then a lot of older guys with question marks. And as good as Judon has been, he dissapeared at times last year, and it has been proven even Khalil Mack without a lot of names around him can only do so much. Harris is a running back. And he makes nice runs, but it doesn't often translate to wins against anyone who matters. And PLEASE lets not confuse him for a true difference maker at the position like McCaffrey, Chubb ect... he isn't that level.

Frankly I think this whole team needs to be rebuilt. And most of all at the key positions of pass catcher and CB. Sadly they've already badly invested in pass catchers. Trying to cobble together a good core with a bunch of 3rd and 4th guys. And last year it was shown not to work.

Where we need help is obviously in the trenches, but if the first 2 rounds not going either WR or CB is a mistake.

So here is my mock with that in mind

#21 - Jameson Williams - WR - I don't care if he needs to sit out the year. If he is here you pick him.
#54 - CB??? I need to look into it, but if a good value outside CB falls here they should grab one.
#85 - John Metchie - WR - again, may need to sit out, but this year is a rebuilding year. So rebuild and take a higher upside guy if he falls here.. Also both these WR picks should help put Mac in the best possible spot you can put him.
#127 - OL... again i need to look up guys. But anything but C is on the table for this unit.

Generally I would say ignore DL, even though it is a weakness and ignore safety for this year. I feel safety is a little easier to get into a plug and play role than CB for next year. Also you don't need one for sure this year.

I love the quick smurfs, but I would consider taking Calvin Austin III before Skyy Moore. Austin would drive CBs insane; he cannot be covered. Moore is good also, but maybe not as shifty.
I want Austin. Faster straight line (ran a 4.32), quicker (awesome 3 cone), Had a 39 inch vertical, just explosive, and exactly what the Pat’s offense needs. He may be smaller, but he definitely has some Tyreek Hill in him.

I am not the best drafter, but went into this with a plan. I wanted to shore up cornerback and linebacker. I was successful in trading back, but the cornerbacks I wanted weren't there as well as none of the wide receivers. Thus everything went out the window. Here is my latest try at a mock draft.

1647805644870.png

I could see Watson sneaking into the 2nd round, based on the combine and his production.

I am not the best drafter, but went into this with a plan. I wanted to shore up cornerback and linebacker. I was successful in trading back, but the cornerbacks I wanted weren't there as well as none of the wide receivers. Thus everything went out the window. Here is my latest try at a mock draft.

View attachment 41968

Huge fan of the trade. The first seven draft picks fill huge needs. Pitre is an absolute playmaker!

Moving volson to guard makes him a great value pick!

d81290bad2a69a3f8acb90f1b012cfe5.png

latest attempt on simulator with 2 trades
Screenshot_20220321-105846_Opera.jpg
Screenshot_20220321-105855_Opera.jpg
Screenshot_20220321-170614_Opera.jpg
Screenshot_20220321-170624_Opera.jpg

Geezeeee, talk about a near perfect draft. A man can dream right!? No trades, just pure talent falling into our laps in all the positions we need most. I highly doubt this is possible, but If it did happen, I’d probably go on a multi-day celebration binder.

Would this draft make us a surprise/legit contender in 2022?

92C49F71-4350-43FD-9BA1-A6742C844C72.jpeg

Last edited:

That would be a dream draft, but McCollum will be gone by the end of round two at the latest; that guy can play. Jordan Davis is a beast; you have to take him in the unlikely event he is available at 21. I love Calvin Austin also and he might just be available in the third; he is my draft binky, but all us binky followers have got to get used to disappointment....

Last edited:
I'm a fan of most of the players in the various mocks here, but they seem WAY too optimistic about where a player will be available. My guess is that we'll all be unpleasantly surprised at how early our favorites go in the draft.

I could see Watson sneaking into the 2nd round, based on the combine and his production.
Christian Watson?? I'd be shocked if he fell into the 3rd RD. Solid 2nd RD grade on him.

New attempt, first mock for a couple or more weeks, decided to try a no trade draft on PFF. This wouldn't suck but I missed out as I would expect the CBs I would take early were all gone as was Travis Jones, I missed on the CBs such as Taylor-Britt and McCollum that I thought I may be able to get later, so especially after today's blockbuster the fail at CB is probably a fatal flaw on this.

I do love Johnson for the Pats, the Chenal pick was sort of my best player available after missing out on Jones and the CBs, Austin was my pick after missing on Watson a couple of picks earlier (yes I know they are quite different but I like his speed), I like Farrell as a consolation prize for missing on Jones, Paul in the hopes he may be a better convert to LG than the other choices I considered. Danny Gray at 200 is a shot in the dark at some more speed, and Borghi is kind of my go to now at the last pick as I think he has some Burkhead 2.0 potential.

Anyway ....

1648075253341.png

New attempt, first mock for a couple or more weeks, decided to try a no trade draft on PFF. This wouldn't suck but I missed out as I would expect the CBs I would take early were all gone as was Travis Jones, I missed on the CBs such as Taylor-Britt and McCollum that I thought I may be able to get later, so especially after today's blockbuster the fail at CB is probably a fatal flaw on this.

I do love Johnson for the Pats, the Chenal pick was sort of my best player available after missing out on Jones and the CBs, Austin was my pick after missing on Watson a couple of picks earlier (yes I know they are quite different but I like his speed), I like Farrell as a consolation prize for missing on Jones, Paul in the hopes he may be a better convert to LG than the other choices I considered. Danny Gray at 200 is a shot in the dark at some more speed, and Borghi is kind of my go to now at the last pick as I think he has some Burkhead 2.0 potential.

Anyway ....

View attachment 42081
This would be so good!

I really like this double dip to rebuild our linebacking core.. after round 4 i have no idea, so i just start grabbing WRs lol

1648082553855.png

I decided to try my hand again now that we have a little more stability on the ol though still shaky at cb. I managed a trade back with the giants. I feel okay about the cbs I was able to get in the draft, but I feel like I really missed on the wrs I think it was an ok draft..

1648136713109.png

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back