PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Free Agent Receivers - Will the Patriots Target One?

We do need a legit receiving # 1 threat though.

Look at the past 5 superbowl winners.. the top receiving threats are better than what we have currently.

Rams- Kupp
Bucs- Evans
Chiefs- Hill
Patriots- Squirrel
Eagles- Jefferey
I agree with adding the wr threat somewhere in this draft. If our draft gurus say no Pickens then I would target Watson round 2 but not as Meyers replacement built agholors eventually. He’s currently our highest paid wr with 1 year left on his deal. Replacing him with a cheaper option on a rookie deal seems like a better move.

1) Our offense was top 10 with a rookie QB

2) Bourne is a good #2 WR, especially on a running team,

3) Myers is a good #3WR, especially on a running team.

4) Agholor is an OK #2WR, especially on a running team.

5) Henry is a fine receiving TE, especially on a running team.

6) White is a fine receiving TE, especially in a running game (with Stevenson and Montgomery as backups in that role.
================
THREE WR's is not enough, even with good receiving RB's and TE's.
================
We need, and will get an addition WR for the 53, a veteran for competition, and developmental rookie. We do NOT need or want a $15M-$25M a year WR.

We should draft a WR early, because it is an area of concern.

10 touchdowns in 17 games from our WR is not good.

Then again, maybe your happy losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Refresh my memory….. How many playoff games have we won since Meyers joined the team in 2019?

Do you think Bob Kraft is happy with our teams seasonal performance since Meyers joined the team?

Refresh my memory….. How many playoff games have we won since Meyers joined the team in 2019?

Do you think Bob Kraft is happy with our teams seasonal performance since Meyers joined the team?

We do need a legit receiving # 1 threat though.

Look at the past 5 superbowl winners.. the top receiving threats are better than what we have currently.

Rams- Kupp
Bucs- Evans
Chiefs- Hill
Patriots- Squirrel
Eagles- Jefferey
Bourne and Meyers each had more receiving yards last year that Jeffery had in 2017.
And together they had more than Edelman and the #2 (Gordon) did in 2018.
By the way on the 2017 Eagles there was a wr who had 5 more catches, and only 21 fewer yards that Jeffrey and that was………Nelson Agholor

We didn’t lose in the playoffs because of wide receivers. Why don’t we fix the reasons we lost instead of worry about fantasy football stats?

Why don’t you enlighten us einstien

Tell us about the last team to win the Super Bowl with 3 starting receivers that in total averaged. 3.58 total points per game.

10 touchdowns in 17 games.

Your odds of winning a Super Bowl with those stats in very slim or none.

Our 2 Tight ends had twice as many touchdowns 20 as our WR 10.

We didn’t lose in the playoffs because of wide receivers. Why don’t we fix the reasons we lost instead of worry about fantasy football stats?

How many playoff games have we won with Meyers? How many career touchdowns in the playoffs? I have just as many playoff touchdowns as Meyers.

Meyers catches are about 6 yards down field with very little yac.

He reminds me of Christian Fauria in this aspect, when his hands go up, his feet stop.

Last edited:
Bourne and Meyers each had more receiving yards last year that Jeffery had in 2017.
And together they had more than Edelman and the #2 (Gordon) did in 2018.
By the way on the 2017 Eagles there was a wr who had 5 more catches, and only 21 fewer yards that Jeffrey and that was………Nelson Agholor
You'd take Bourne and Meyers over 2017 Jeffery?

How many playoff games have we won with Meyers? How many career touchdowns in the playoffs? I have just as many playoff touchdowns as Meyers.

He reminds me of Christian Fauria in this aspect, when his hands go up, his feet stop.
Meyers avg catch is 7.8 yards downfield which is 44% more than St Brown who you are pimping and also further downfield than Moore.
Thanks for bringing up something that proves you wrong.

FYI Meyers average depth of catch is the same as Davante Adams and higher than Cooper Kupp.

Why don’t you enlighten us einstien

Tell us about the last team to win the Super Bowl with 3 starting receivers that in total averaged. 3.58 total points per game.

10 touchdowns in 17 games.

Your odds of winning a Super Bowl with those stats in very slim or none.

Our 2 Tight ends had twice as many touchdowns 20 as our WR 10.

I'm still trying to figure out the last team to win the Super Bowl with a rookie QB. Or the last team to not have the opposing team punt in the playoffs and win a SB. Odds are very slim or none there as well.

Top 3 WRs' combined regular season TD numbers for all Pats Super Bowl winning seasons:
2001: 10
2003: 13
2004: 14
2014: 12
2016: 12
2018: 12

10 TDs in 16* games (yeah that 3 passes out of 49 plays game doesn't count) is pretty comparable with the past. Is it going to be enough from here on out with what we've seen recently? Not sure. I'm guessing there'll be a big improvement next year. If not, I hope to see Jonnu and Hunter reign supreme in the EZ. Part of why we got them.

Meyers didn't play in that 2019 playoff game. Considering he had more 1st Downs than Sanu in 2019 despite fewer targets, Jakobi's playing during the 2nd half of the season instead of either Sanu or N'Keal might've been the difference (prob not - TB12 hated him for some reason /s).

In 2020, the Pats were 5-4 in games he started. Had a game where he had the 12th highest receiving yds in a game (169) in Pats history (tied for 11th in most recs in a game with 12) ... with Cam as the QB. I think it was officially his 2nd NFL start ever. 3rd at most.

And for 2021 and his 1st playoff game that he played in: 6 recs 40yds. On Bourne's 1st TD, Jakobi drew 3 defenders - it's the reason Bourne was so wide open. He's not the reason the Pats lost as we all know. When JAllen rushes more than Harris and Stevenson combined, you know you're in trouble... and that was just the QB running game.
Tyreek Hill's 1st playoff game: 4 recs, 27yds, 0TDs.
Alshon Jeffery's 1st: 4 recs, 61yds, 0TDs

Jakobi's Yds/Rec (10.4yds) were not that far off from KeenanA (10.7), MarqBrown (11.1), Tyreek (11.2), Godwin (11.3), and BCooks (11.5). It was higher than Renfrow (10.1), JWaddle (9.8), and CBeasley (8.5).

FYI Meyers average depth of catch is the same as Davante Adams and higher than Cooper Kupp.
I'm not trying to get involved in this endless drama, but for you to put Meyers in the same sentence w/ Davante Adams & Cooper Kupp? I mean. Nvm.

I'm not trying to get involved in this endless drama, but for you to put Meyers in the same sentence w/ Davante Adams & Cooper Kupp? I mean. Nvm.
Not being as good a receiver as those players doesn’t negate the fact that the criticism of how far down the field he makes receptions is wrong.

Quick stats:
Patriots were 26th in YAC (yards after catch) in '21
Meyers was 120th in YAC (2.7) in the NFL in '21
Meyers was Mac Jones #1 target (126 targets .......... 51 more than #2 Henry)

Eye test:
Meyers has a knack for setting up in open space and securing the ball.
His initial steps after completing the catch are glacial.
On receptions when he comes back for the ball, his lack of footwork & explosion to quickly turn and accelerate up the field is alarming.

Conclusion:
Given his sub-par after-the-catch skills, in no way should Meyers be NE's #1 target unless the goal is to continue forward with a mediocre passing attack
Meyers is a strictly a possession receiver

Last edited:
Quick stats:
Patriots were 26th in YAC (2.7 yards after catch) in '21
Meyers was 120th in YAC in the NFL in '21
Meyers was Mac Jones #1 target (126 targets .......... 51 more than #2 Henry)

Eye test:
Meyers has a knack for setting up in open space and securing the ball.
His initial steps after completing the catch are glacial.
On receptions when he comes back for the ball, his lack of footwork & explosion to quickly turn and accelerate up the field is alarming.

Conclusion:
Given his sub-par after-the-catch skills, in no way should Meyers be NE's #1 target unless the goal is to continue forward with a mediocre passing attack
Meyers is a strictly a possession receiver
The patriots were also 8th in yards per reception. They were 5th best in completion %.
So if they were 26th in yac then they were in the top few on air yards.
This all makes sense, if you are throwing the ball further down the field you are going to get less yac. A lot of yac comes on screens, bubble screens, short crossers. A lot of yac is a qb function rather than a receiver. This is another area you would expect a second year qb improvement.

I’m not sure I can agree that the passing attack was mediocre.
The offense was 6th in scoring, 2nd in % of drives scored on. 8th in yards per reception. 10th in 3rd form conversions, 11th in red zone %. 9th in first downs earned.
The only area that was only slightly above average was passing yards, which were 14th, but that was on the 25th most passing attempts.
Roughly average gross passing yards, with a rookie qb throwing the 7th fewest amount of passes, doesn’t sound like something that is doomed to mediocre.
Yes, we didn’t throw the ball all over the place and pass for 5000 yard, but the passing game was effective, especially with a rookie QB.

This board really needs to get over the idea that there are only 2 categories, greatest ever and perfect , or suck.

This board really needs to get over the idea that there are only 2 categories, greatest ever and perfect , or suck.
Note:
Labeling the passing offense "mediocre" is neither "greatest ever" or "suck"
-------------------------------------------------
What is "suck" is 2/3's of NE's non-RB pass catchers

Let's summarize overwhelming board sentiment toward......

Nelson Agholor......... "Trade / Cut"
Jonnu Smith................ "Trade / Cut"
N'Keal Harry................ "Trade (lmfao) / Cut"
Jakobi Meyers............. "Demote to 3rd or 4th WR"

Bourne..........average #2 /great #3
Henry.............great red zone target

Note:
Labeling the passing offense "mediocre" is neither "greatest ever" or "suck"
-------------------------------------------------
What is "suck" is 2/3's of NE's non-RB pass catchers

Let's summarize overwhelming board sentiment toward......

Nelson Agholor......... "Trade / Cut"
Jonnu Smith................ "Trade / Cut"
N'Keal Harry................ "Trade (lmfao) / Cut"
Jakobi Meyers............. "Demote to 3rd or 4th WR"

Bourne..........average #2 /great #3
Henry.............great red zone target
I could not give a crap about the “board sentiment”. The vocal minority around here gets more wrong than right.
I’m talking about actual results on the football field.
They will always mean more than some dudes opinion.

As I said it is wrong to call the passing game stick in mediocrity because there are no metrics that support it from last year, with a rookie QB and every reason to believe it will improve as the QB has and will gain experience.
If you have a top 10 (at worst) offense with a rookie QB, your opinion that everyone around him sucks pretty much by definition is wrong.

The results are what they are, so when the opinion conflicts with the results guess which is wrong.

Your posts literally prove that point.

Still hoping for Agholor to flourish with another year with Mac. In 2020, he posted the 7th fastest speed as a ball carrier (21.7mph - Tyreek was 5th at 21.91mph), so the guy can move. My guess is that it was probably the ankle injury at the beginning of last season that held him back from his full potential. Plus he missed a fair amount of time (game and practice) at the end of the season with that concussion.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back