PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Free Agent Receivers - Will the Patriots Target One?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Was looking at this list and I thought it would be interesting to see which one of these guys - if any - New England goes after:

Obviously a lot of the talk is going to center around some of the other big names, but one name that's sort of intriguing is Smith-Schuster. Reports seem to indicate he's done in Pittsburgh and I wonder if he's a guy who could be on their radar. At 25, this is sort of the opportune time to bring him in when you're looking to build on a young, talented nucleus. But overall, definitely an interesting group of names.

Was looking at this list and I thought it would be interesting to see which one of these guys - if any - New England goes after:

Obviously a lot of the talk is going to center around some of the other big names, but one name that's sort of intriguing is Smith-Schuster. Reports seem to indicate he's done in Pittsburgh and I wonder if he's a guy who could be on their radar. At 25, this is sort of the opportune time to bring him in when you're looking to build on a young, talented nucleus. But overall, definitely an interesting group of names.

Not an impressive list. Pass!

I agree, feels like Godwin, Robinson and Adams will be among the higher paid as the better of this group, and from there it’s a lot of question marks. Smith-Schuster always seemed like a decent player and he’s tall-ish at 6’1” I think. Just not sure how much he’s going to be after $$-wise. I just saw his age and didn’t realize he was so young…feels like he’s been around a little longer than that.

Can’t believe after the Patriots tried to pry Sanders away from Pittsburgh as a restricted free agent years ago (effectively landing him a raise), he seemingly shunned them and never ended up here. I don’t know if he has enough left to make a go of it here to be what they need him to be, but that whole situation remains one of the more interesting ones we’ve seen over the years. I forget what year that happened but I feel like he could have been a good player in his prime with Brady.

Count me on the side that we should not invest in any more offensive skilled players. Team spent enough on that side of the ball last offseason. We need to see what a year 2 with Agholor, Bourne, Henry and Smith brings with Mac hopefully improving further. Maybe a WR on day 3 of the draft.

Imo team should focus on OL/DL, LB, and DBs to replace our own free agents and retiring veterans.

Count me on the side that we should not invest in any more offensive skilled players. Team spent enough on that side of the ball last offseason. We need to see what a year 2 with Agholor, Bourne, Henry and Smith brings with Mac hopefully improving further. Maybe a WR on day 3 of the draft.

Imo team should focus on OL/DL, LB, and DBs to replace our own free agents and retiring veterans.
Yup. Replace/re-sign the following and then talk about receivers.
Brown
Karras
White
Hightower
Jackson
McCourty
Bentley
Folk

There are several good slot receivers in free agency. I would like to see them go after one of them. I am guessing that Belichick may make a run at Isiah McKenzie. Belichick has targeted lower priced free agents who stood out against the Patriots in the past.

I would love to see the Pats get a great WR in the draft or free agency, but I doubt he will. This is a QB driven league and Mac Jones still needs better receiving options. I don't know if this offense needs a Davante Adams or Chris Godwin, but they could use another primary WR who can get open quickly.

I know people want to spend of the defense (and I agree there are needs for significant upgrades)

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats traded for Calvin Ridley though. He refuses to play for Atlanta ever again that will lower his trade value. I am guessing that the Falcons may have to settle for a conditional third rounder that could turn into a second for the guy at best. Yes, he had a near 1,400 yard season in 2020, but he had trouble staying on the field his first two years and walked away from the game last year. He might be happy to play for the Pats with all the Alabama connections (Belichick and Saban being so close and Jones, although Jones and Ridley never actually played with each other). He is still on his rookie deal which will keep his costs down. Ridley looks like he could be a low risk, high reward option that Belichick loves.

Feels like everyone on that list is either not worth the risk of a bloated free agent contract, or (in the case of guys like Adams) is totally worth it but will be priced out of the Patriots cap range. I think this is the year to draft a guy on day two or later, and hope that the veterans on the team already develop additional chemistry with a hopefully improved year 2 Mac Jones. There are bigger holes on this team at the moment where the bigger resources should be spent, IMO.

I think we will be priced out of the top wr free agents. I've been thinking about this for the past week or two and I am more inclined to think that we target a wr in the draft(either in the 1st or 2nd round). Another name that I noticed is a free agent is Braxton Barrios, not as high profile as the ones listed, but he is a very good return man and has improved a lot as a wideout. Maybe a name to keep an eye on.

There are several good slot receivers in free agency. I would like to see them go after one of them. I am guessing that Belichick may make a run at Isiah McKenzie. Belichick has targeted lower priced free agents who stood out against the Patriots in the past.

I would love to see the Pats get a great WR in the draft or free agency, but I doubt he will. This is a QB driven league and Mac Jones still needs better receiving options. I don't know if this offense needs a Davante Adams or Chris Godwin, but they could use another primary WR who can get open quickly.

I know people want to spend of the defense (and I agree there are needs for significant upgrades)

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats traded for Calvin Ridley though. He refuses to play for Atlanta ever again that will lower his trade value. I am guessing that the Falcons may have to settle for a conditional third rounder that could turn into a second for the guy at best. Yes, he had a near 1,400 yard season in 2020, but he had trouble staying on the field his first two years and walked away from the game last year. He might be happy to play for the Pats with all the Alabama connections (Belichick and Saban being so close and Jones, although Jones and Ridley never actually played with each other). He is still on his rookie deal which will keep his costs down. Ridley looks like he could be a low risk, high reward option that Belichick loves.
Do you happen to have a link to Calvin Ridley stating he won't play for Atlanta?

My problem with Ridley is that, if he's willing to walk out on his teammates for his "mental health", what does that say about him?

Put me down for either Juju SS or Allen Robinson either would be a #1 here.

Do you happen to have a link to Calvin Ridley stating he won't play for Atlanta?

My problem with Ridley is that, if he's willing to walk out on his teammates for his "mental health", what does that say about him?

I don't have it definitive, but the rumors are that he has a problem with Atlanta. I could be wrong.

I don't have it definitive, but the rumors are that he has a problem with Atlanta. I could be wrong.
Ok.. I did see something that Arthur Banks hinted at, but, like you nothing definitive.. Just was wondering if you had seen something definitive because that would be huge.

Ridley is in the same boat as Isaiah Wynn - Atlanta exercised his 5th year option. He's due $11.1 million this year.

So unless the Pats could swing a deal with him for an extension, he'l cost more against THIS YEAR's CAP, when they're tight, than anyone else on the list.

Someone thinking SB this year and with enough money to burn - Cinci? - might do it, otherwise it's a helluva risk for an unpredictable 1-year rental at $11.1.

The Pats certainly need to do something at WR, if for no other reason than the only decent WR they have signed after 2022 currently is Bourne. If they tender Meyers, they get him for this year, and Agholor's on his last year already, as is Harry, though I doubt he'll even be here.

They should be drafting one high, and they should dip into FA, but I doubt it will be any of the top guys. If they tender Meyers and otherwise stand pat, next year's off-season will be in desperation mode, and then Mac will have to go into 2023 with Bourne and a whole new cast.

Ridley is in the same boat as Isaiah Wynn - Atlanta exercised his 5th year option. He's due $11.1 million this year.

So unless the Pats could swing a deal with him for an extension, he'l cost more against THIS YEAR's CAP, when they're tight, than anyone else on the list.

Someone thinking SB this year and with enough money to burn - Cinci? - might do it, otherwise it's a helluva risk for an unpredictable 1-year rental at $11.1.
Yep don't see it either with the history with Terry Glenn and Josh Gordon seems too deja vu.

If that is the case, there will be no one who trades for him unless he agrees to a new deal or the Falcons give him away for a late round pick. No one is going to trade a first or second day draft pick for a guy who is a risk and only an one year rental.

Why would Cincy do it when they have Higgins, Boyd and Chase already? Cincy is going to be looking for a RG to replace Adoniji. Brandon Scherff is probably their top target followed by (in no particular order) Austin Corbett, Will Glowinski, and Ted Karras.
There are other teams more likely to look at Ridley (Jets, Dolphins, Commanders, Jaguars, Seahawks) than Cincy.

Why would Cincy do it when they have Higgins, Boyd and Chase already? Cincy is going to be looking for a RG to replace Adoniji. Brandon Scherff is probably their top target followed by (in no particular order) Austin Corbett, Will Glowinski, and Ted Karras.
There are other teams more likely to look at Ridley (Jets, Dolphins, Commanders, Jaguars, Seahawks) than Cincy.
They probably won't, of course - I just threw that name in because they have money and were close last year. 2019 Ridley is better than Higgins.

I really don't see anyone doing it.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back