PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Free Agent Receivers - Will the Patriots Target One?

Count me on the side that we should not invest in any more offensive skilled players. Team spent enough on that side of the ball last offseason. We need to see what a year 2 with Agholor, Bourne, Henry and Smith brings with Mac hopefully improving further. Maybe a WR on day 3 of the draft.

Imo team should focus on OL/DL, LB, and DBs to replace our own free agents and retiring veterans.
This is an interesting stance. Just because the team spent a lot last year on offense, they shouldn’t try to improve the team with a good receiver ?

Every good/great QB has a top notch receiver (or 2). Pats don’t have that. They have a bunch of #3 type receivers, they really don’t have a #1 or a #2. I personally feel giving Mac the best chance to succeed is to give him better, and more explosive weapons. Nobody on this offense scares defenses. Opponent’s defenses aren’t game planning against the Pat’s offense thinking, oh man, we really need to stop so and so. There’s nobody on this team that causes that worry for the opponent.

Hell, look at what Joe Burrow has, his THIRD best receiver is better than Mac’s FIRST best receiver. Help Mac succeed, surround him with at least one explosive threat.

This is an interesting stance. Just because the team spent a lot last year on offense, they shouldn’t try to improve the team with a good receiver ?

Every good/great QB has a top notch receiver (or 2). Pats don’t have that. They have a bunch of #3 type receivers, they really don’t have a #1 or a #2. I personally feel giving Mac the best chance to succeed is to give him better, and more explosive weapons. Nobody on this offense scares defenses. Opponent’s defenses aren’t game planning against the Pat’s offense thinking, oh man, we really need to stop so and so. There’s nobody on this team that causes that worry for the opponent.

Hell, look at what Joe Burrow has, his THIRD best receiver is better than Mac’s FIRST best receiver. Help Mac succeed, surround him with at least one explosive threat.
It's an interesting argument because we've won Super Bowls before without that "explosive, true number 1 receiver"...grant it, we've had Gronk, Brady and a top tier defense in years when we've won, but it's a very interesting debate. You have to figure in order to get back to the SB, we're going to have to be able to beat one of Buffalo, KC and Cincy, who all have explosive weapons. Do we try and match them on offense, or try and build a defense to stop these explosive offenses.

I think that with a 2nd year together there should be a natural improvement in chemistry, scheme knowledge, and conditioning. We saw several times where Agholor was open deep for a TD and Mac failed to pull the trigger, choosing a checkdown instead. If they can improve & connect on those plays, it should open up the mof for the rest. We have to consider that Jonnu should also improve considerably (nowhere to go but up).

Obviously Harry needs to be replaced. I just don't think it has to be with a high priced #1 UFA. This team is not a WR#1 away from a SB. Not even close. Draft a WR on day 3. If anything, shore up the OL.

This team has too many holes to fill. I doubt they make a SB run next year with all these holes. Therefore, focus on building a top D this year (not one based on smoke & mirrors). There are way too many slow, old vets playing on D that will either retire or just need to be replaced. There's a concern with depth in the secondary. Need run stuffing tackles and LBs that can also cover.

We just need to be realistic and understand this is a multi-year rebuild.

I think that with a 2nd year together there should be a natural improvement in chemistry, scheme knowledge, and conditioning. We saw several times where Agholor was open deep for a TD and Mac failed to pull the trigger, choosing a checkdown instead. If they can improve & connect on those plays, it should open up the mof for the rest. We have to consider that Jonnu should also improve considerably (nowhere to go but up).

Obviously Harry needs to be replaced. I just don't think it has to be with a high priced #1 UFA. This team is not a WR#1 away from a SB. Not even close. Draft a WR on day 3. If anything, shore up the OL.

This team has too many holes to fill. I doubt they make a SB run next year with all these holes. Therefore, focus on building a top D this year (not one based on smoke & mirrors). There are way too many slow, old vets playing on D that will either retire or just need to be replaced. There's a concern with depth in the secondary. Need run stuffing tackles and LBs that can also cover.

We just need to be realistic and understand this is a multi-year rebuild.
I mostly agree. But they need to so something here, either with their own or by bringing in 1 more guy - Agholor is a UFA next year. Meyers is an RFA now - if they tender him, as expected, he's still a Free Agent after this year. Harry is a Free Agent after this year, and honestly, he should be out of here this spring.

I see them bringing in a vet on a 2-3 year deal. Most likely target might be Juju Smith-Schister...or Conley or Humphries, or someone of that nature. I don't see them going BIG, unless it's a bargain big with risks, like OBJ.

Or they could just use the draft, but that scares the crap out of me with this team, for obvious reasons.

I don't see them getting a receiver in free agency unless it's a low cost deal. Think we'll either try and get a true number one via trade or a high pick in the draft.

Are we still trusting BB on drafting a WR? Let alone in the first round... no thanks.

Are we still trusting BB on drafting a WR? Let alone in the first round... no thanks.
Only if it’s Alabamas Williams.
I would be ok with Ridley and Ju Ju or Ridley and Chark or Ridley and Landry.
I’m not as high on Godwin or Robinson.

I don't see them getting a receiver in free agency unless it's a low cost deal. Think we'll either try and get a true number one via trade or a high pick in the draft.
Is a cap hit of $7M "low-cost?

$1M 2022 salary
$24M bonus
4 years
$7M 2022 cap hit
=============
VARIABLES THAT DO NOT AFFECT 2022 CAP HIT
2023, 2024, 2025 salaries
guarantees
NLTBE incentives
===========
Note that the bonus could be lowered with higher guarantees. Also, a void year could be added.

I don't want a WR with our first two picks either (I want CB & DE/DT with them)... But if Bill & co. can acquire another 3rd-rounder with a trade-down, similar to 2020 (23 for 37 + 71), then I'll have no problem using that extra 3rd on Mac's buddy John Metchie...

Only if it’s Alabamas Williams.
I would be ok with Ridley and Ju Ju or Ridley and Chark or Ridley and Landry.
I’m not as high on Godwin or Robinson.
Calvin Ridley seems like an unnecessary risk given his personal problems.
JuJu is fine but I don't think he's coming to NE on a 1-year prove it deal... doesn't make sense for him.
Chark seems redundant given I don't think he adds much more to Bourne-Agholor-Meyers.
Landry's good but I think NE's primary need is more on the outside.
I'm high on Godwin and Robinson. Godwin is unrealistic but Robinson is someone NE definitely could pursue.

I don't want a WR with our first two picks either (I want CB & DE/DT with them)... But if Bill & co. can acquire another 3rd-rounder with a trade-down, similar to 2020 (23 for 37 + 71), then I'll have no problem using that extra 3rd on Mac's buddy John Metchie...
Yeah, he seems like a possible fit, given he'll drop in the draft. The ACL is one thing but it seems like he has a history of other nagging ailments as well.

JuJu is DONE! I haven't seen a guy fall off a cliff so fast since Cadillac Williams.

Last edited:
JuJu is DONE! I haven't seen a guy fall off a cliff so fast since Cadillac Williams.

Given bb’s history, isn’t this the type of receiver bb see as an all pro and go out of his way to overpay for?

When all else fails, “Doing what I thought was best for the team!” Famous bb last words.

Free agent WR's are expensive, and the position is probably near last on the list of "needs" this offseason.

Was looking at this list and I thought it would be interesting to see which one of these guys - if any - New England goes after:

Obviously a lot of the talk is going to center around some of the other big names, but one name that's sort of intriguing is Smith-Schuster. Reports seem to indicate he's done in Pittsburgh and I wonder if he's a guy who could be on their radar. At 25, this is sort of the opportune time to bring him in when you're looking to build on a young, talented nucleus. But overall, definitely an interesting group of names.

Is Smith-Schuster really a top WR? He had one excellent year ( plus a good rookie year) but it seems that was as a piece with Brown taking most of the attention and since then he has not done much.
How much would you pay to get a repeat of his last 3 seasons, and is it reasonable to expect better than that?

Agree - unless top CBs and DL are gone and a true blue chipper falls.

Scratch Michael Thomas off the list. Saints added void years. Don't blame them - with Brady out, if they get a competent QB, they can take that division. They're still way over the cap, but they're clearly willing to mortgage the future a lot to take the run.

Last edited:

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
Back