PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're good on depth for now. What we need is someone with real potential to rise above our mass of #2/#3 receivers and take the top role, and I don't see Byrd or any other FA being that guy. Gotta look to the draft.

So who is the depth if Agholor pulls a hammy or a suffers a concussion ?

I see it exactly the other side. There is literally no need for any #1 WR given the plethora of receiving options we have. Depth for individual roles is exactly what's needed. Adding top heavy at this point just has very diminishing returns with respect to salary vs. available targets.

I think if Mac Jones is around at #46, Bill takes him (he picks BAP w/ #15 or trades it down). If not, he picks Mills in 4th round.

No Jimmy, Minshew, or Scaryota for Bill. Cam starts WK-1.

tenor(17).gif

I’m afraid if we want Mills, it is gonna have to be in round 2. Just my opinion. Think he has taken the 6th spot from Trask. Would not surprise me to see someone jump in the back end of round 1 for Mills to get that 5th year option.

And unlike that old, useless, never-was pile of poo Reynolds, he has youth & athleticism at a position (Will LB) where we Still have absolutely Nothing...

How often did the Patriots put 3 LBs on the field?
How often did the Pats line up in a 2-4-5? In a 3-3-5? in a 3-2-6?

I'd put money that the Patriots ran more sets with 2 DT, 2 Edge and 2 LBs than anything else.

You claiming that Reynold is a pile of Poo shows you don't know wtf you are talking about. Yet again. Reynolds is a STer. He takes very few, if any, Defensive snaps. You attempting to compare him to Evans is a joke. BTW, you do know that Reynolds (7) had more SOLO tackles on Fewer snaps on Special Teams than Evans did, right?

BTW, Evans had a whopping 62 Defensive snaps last season. 29 coming in games 14 and 16. He was inactive for game 15 because of Covid. Acting like Evans could come in and be on the field more than Hightower, Uche, Wino, etc, makes zero sense.

I don't get it. Y'all think that the patriots are any good at drafting wide receivers. I suppose that they could go to fan sites from other teams and see who they are interested in.

If we have a 2nd or 3rd, I suspect that it will be important that Gilmore, Jackson and McCourty are all in their last year. DB is much, much more likely (and reasonable) than a WR to compete with Meyers. Besides, no rookie will learn our system in their first year.
I expect a contract extension with Gilmore. I'd love to see someone make an offer to JC that the Pats can match. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if he's extended as well. Even though he's older, I see Gilmore > JC. Gilmore is a true #1.

Other than QB, the Pats are in their usual position of picking anyone who fits what they want to do.

I'd love Parsons or Collins, since HT is on his last year and is getting older. There are a couple of others, too, who aren't as physically impressive, but look like they're going to be very good NFL LBs.
They'll draft an IOL and another tackle, I think, since this is a great class.
A later round DT would be nice
If someone like one of the Moores (Elijah and Rondale) are there in the second, I hope they grab him.

I think if Mac Jones is around at #46, Bill takes him (he picks BAP w/ #15 or trades it down). If not, he picks Mills in 4th round.

No Jimmy, Minshew, or Scaryota for Bill. Cam starts WK-1.

View attachment 31736
I agree, although I'd take Jones at #15. I don't see Bill taking on any big contracts at QB. I think he's building this team well balanced across the board, in all three phases. I think it's Cam week one, and we wait until Cam's shoulder is junk around week 6-10 and the rook comes in.

Stop me if we've seen this movie before. Vet can't go, kid comes in and does fine.

This garbage is brought up by the cultist regularly. Brady taking less than what he could have gotten was absolutely self-serving to keep competing for titles. To try to turn this into some kind of benevolent act is the usual rewriting of history that has become a staple of them.

Almost every human being on the planet:

"Brady's been willing to take a little less than he could have gotten in order to help the team be a bit more competitive in personnel acuisition, so his team has a better chance to win. That's great, and you don't see most guys willing to do that, because they go for every last penny they can make."

luuked:

"Brady was just taking less money so that his team could be more competitive and have a chance to win more titles. That's so ****ing selfish!"

rofl.gif

So who is the depth if Agholor pulls a hammy or a suffers a concussion ?

I see it exactly the other side. There is literally no need for any #1 WR given the plethora of receiving options we have. Depth for individual roles is exactly what's needed. Adding top heavy at this point just has very diminishing returns with respect to salary vs. available targets.
The need for Agholor depth is a good point, and I would never be upset about signing Byrd to the type of money he'll sign for. He wasn't that bad for us, after all, and there are lots of spots on a preseason roster. I'd just prefer that second burner receiver on the roster to have more upside. We don't necessarily need a #1, but it seems stupid not to at least look into hidden gems in mid rounds who could become one.

Note that I am 100% for bringing Byrd in as competition/camp depth regardless of draft strategy or the need I see for a #1 WR. I just wouldn't sign him and call it a day at WR.

Comments:

a.) Brady was never UNDERPAID.....we just paid him differently via lump sums of cash up front.

b.) Yes, BB probably should have extended Brady back in 2017....it is what it is.

c.) I am pro-Patriots and pro-Brady, but this year...I am moving on from Brady...he won his 7th to put him ahead of the Steelers...which warms my heart, but I don't want him to win when the Bucs come to Gillette....and I want to win Superbowl LVI damn it!

d.) We need to take a linebacker in the draft. I don't think Hightower and KVN are going to be Patriots in 2022.

e.) We need CB depth too...not sure Gilmore and Jackson are going to be Patriots in 2022...or even 2021. Although, I hope so for 2021.

f.) We also need an OT in the draft or an interior OL-man. I don't think Trent Brown is going to be a Patriot in 2022...and will we pick up Wynn's 5th year option? (I think so though, but he's been oft inured...although no fault of his own). If we take an interior OL....then maybe slide Onwenu outside....or replace Mason if his play continues to decline.

g.) I am warming up to Mills/Monds/Trask/Newman now.....I am not even sure Lance/Fields/Jones is worth trading up to #4 or #5 for....which is what it will take unless one of them slides.

h.) And like @Elijah said....we have enough WR's right now. What we need is an elite #1 who can out play Edelman and lead this group....if not, I am also onto the draft for another WR. I liked Byrd, but he doesn't bring anything that we already don't have in the WR room...and would be cut in camp ...ASSUMING everyone is healthy of course....I think Byrd would find better opportunities elsewhere.

Comments:

a.) Brady was never UNDERPAID.....we just paid him differently via lump sums of cash up front.

b.) Yes, BB probably should have extended Brady back in 2017....it is what it is.

c.) I am pro-Patriots and pro-Brady, but this year...I am moving on from Brady...he won his 7th to put him ahead of the Steelers...which warms my heart, but I don't want him to win when the Bucs come to Gillette....and I want to win Superbowl LVI damn it!

d.) We need to take a linebacker in the draft. I don't think Hightower and KVN are going to be Patriots in 2022.

e.) We need CB depth too...not sure Gilmore and Jackson are going to be Patriots in 2022...or even 2021. Although, I hope so for 2021.

f.) We also need an OT in the draft or an interior OL-man. I don't think Trent Brown is going to be a Patriot in 2022...and will we pick up Wynn's 5th year option? (I think so though, but he's been oft inured...although no fault of his own). If we take an interior OL....then maybe slide Onwenu outside....or replace Mason if his play continues to decline.

g.) I am warming up to Mills/Monds/Trask/Newman now.....I am not even sure Lance/Fields/Jones is worth trading up to #4 or #5 for....which is what it will take unless one of them slides.
Hi guys....not trying to pick on anyone here, Hyped, sorry for responding to your post, but let's stop hijacking the free agent thread with Brady talk...he has his own forum for anyone that is interested in that discussion. I'm getting a lot of complaints and I see why, please refrain from the discussion on this particular thread. Thanks, Ash

Back to the free agency stuff. I may have missed this, but

Hi guys....not trying to pick on anyone here, Hyped, sorry for responding to your post, but let's stop hijacking the free agent thread with Brady talk...he has his own forum for anyone that is interested in that discussion. I'm getting a lot of complaints and I see why, please refrain from the discussion on this particular thread. Thanks, Ash
My bad!

Comments:

h.) And like @Elijah said....we have enough WR's right now. What we need is an elite #1 who can out play Edelman and lead this group....if not, I am also onto the draft for another WR. I liked Byrd, but he doesn't bring anything that we already don't have in the WR room...and would be cut in camp ...ASSUMING everyone is healthy of course....I think Byrd would find better opportunities elsewhere.
Van Noy is signed for 2 years at reasonable money.

Belichick is going to take Newman because he most resembles the QBs Belichick usually takes. Less exposure than the others, more natural abilities than the others. He'll take him in the 3rd and sit him for year behind Cam Newton.

Belichick is going to take Newman because he most resembles the QBs Belichick usually takes. Less exposure than the others, more natural abilities than the others. He'll take him in the 3rd and sit him for year behind Cam Newton.

plus if he stinks we have an endless supply of memes....

1617039108575.png

Mac Jones isn't going to be available at 15, forget about 46..If Bill wants him, he's going to have to trade up for him.
Bill would have to trade up to #7 to leap frog Carolina. If he does, it wont be until draft night bc if Carolina knows, then they will trade up to secure Jones. Miami would be happy to trade down to #8 to screw us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes