PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy re-signing

He's been our best DL the past several years or basically since we signed him.

They also wouldn’t be FA’s in 2016..

pass-rusher

rh1n8.jpg

any number 1 WRs left?

Another player who went out, looked around at what Free Agency had to offer and came back to a place he knew would be good for him and he'd be appreciated.
The market is the ultimate way to test value.

Clowney and Garrett would be filthy

I see a lot of posters are thinking we are going to trade for JG. How do we take on his salary with around $10 million left in cap space. If he gets cut I see us going for him. But a trade looks like it is out unless we trade a player with a high cap figure in return.

I see a lot of posters are thinking we are going to trade for JG. How do we take on his salary with around $10 million left in cap space. If he gets cut I see us going for him. But a trade looks like it is out unless we trade a player with a high cap figure in return.
Because very little of his money is guaranteed, this year or next. So it would be a trade and restructure, which would benefit both parties.

Bill is even out here signing multiple STers... feels like he has little intention of drafting many guys.
The years of bad drafting and refusing to pay for big talent in free agency has left this team depleted at all levels. Since they've got the money to spend, they might as well pay retail for (theoretically) better players now rather than hoping to get lucky in the K-Mart bargain bins and late draft rounds.

Watching BB conduct the Free Agency orchestra has been nothing less than the performance of a maestro. Veteran roster just begging for the crescendo: its QB of the future.

Watching BB conduct the Free Agency orchestra has been nothing less than the performance of a maestro. Veteran roster just begging for the crescendo: its QB of the future.
I think Caserio might of been the issue after all.
Other than Chris Conley he has been shopping at yard sales in free agency

IMO - Pats want Jimmy but are telling SF they won't wait around forever. SF doesn't want to pay him his big salary, but he has no incentive to restructure down because he knows they'll just cut him and he can sign where he wants. Their window to be able to get anything back for him is closing as the days pass. Hence - they are inquiring about Minshew who is starter level in case they can't get a QB they want in the draft. Send a 5th for Minshew, get a 2nd for Garoppolo, save $24M in cap. Maybe swap Gilmore for Jimmy - they need a corner, and without Jimmy they have the money to pay Gilmore what he wants.

IMO - Pats want Jimmy but are telling SF they won't wait around forever. SF doesn't want to pay him his big salary, but he has no incentive to restructure down because he knows they'll just cut him and he can sign where he wants. Their window to be able to get anything back for him is closing as the days pass. Hence - they are inquiring about Minshew who is starter level in case they can't get a QB they want in the draft. Send a 5th for Minshew, get a 2nd for Garoppolo, save $24M in cap. Maybe swap Gilmore for Jimmy - they need a corner, and without Jimmy they have the money to pay Gilmore what he wants.
That is more than likely the outcome.
Then you go into camp With Cam Jarrett and Jimmy and a rookie QB

I think Lazar means current QB1 and not future QB1....

Right now I think the team’s ceiling is the 2009/2010 Jets or the 2017 Jaguars, teams that could be stacked absent the hole at QB. The advantage is that we’ve got the GOAT as HC instead of buffoons in Rex or Marrone. Of course it remains to be seen if the rest of the team actually plays like they’re stacked; at least the holes look gone though.
The ceiling is the running game and defense playing so well in big games that you overcome crap play from the qb. It’s possible but really hard to go all the way with.
This team won a hell of a lot of games where having brady was overkill but what separated them was the games and parts of games where Brady had to be and was THE difference.
The Patriots with Brady didn’t win week in and week out in games the rest other team played better and the QBs made the difference, but in those games where it came to that they won more often than any team ever has.
At this point rather than the GOAT to elevate them, they will need bounces and good fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes