PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

He had no choice, because of the team's cap/contracts/talent/draft picks situation. Caserio inherited a mess.
Shh... don’t let logic get in the way of a good narrative.

???

He had no choice, because of the team's cap/contracts/talent/draft picks situation. Caserio inherited a mess.
I know I just find I have this illogical take on people who leave the team and it’s nice to have someone to blame for the empty cupboard of talent.
I actually think what he’s doing in Houston is pretty comparable to how BB rebuild the Patriots In 2000.
However for the last 3 drafts alone He is the bad guy right or wrong.

I think Caserio might of been the issue after all.
Other than Chris Conley he has been shopping at yard sales in free agency

The only way that makes sense (if you're combining it with BB going hog wild this FA), is if you think BB wanted to spend more, but just kept yielding to Caserio. In truth, the two teams are in completely different cap/team building situations, and the strategy Caserio is using is one he learned FROM Belichick (or at least from working with him), not one that he ham fisted on the coach and took with him when he left.

The only way that makes sense (if you're combining it with BB going hog wild this FA), is if you think BB wanted to spend more, but just kept yielding to Caserio. In truth, the two teams are in completely different cap/team building situations, and the strategy Caserio is using is one he learned FROM Belichick (or at least from working with him), not one that he ham fisted on the coach and took with him when he left.
See my above post about needing a patsy a fall guy someone to fall on their sword.
It helps me sleep better at night.

any number 1 WRs left?
More like available trades Cousin,
1) OBJ can be had with the right package. Most here think he is radioactive. He's only 28. I would do a package of perhaps Harry and a 4th rounder (we have 3). The Brown still need a WR to compliment Landry and the resigned Higgins.
2) Rumored "definite maybe" of the Cowboys Michael Gallup for Gilmore. Could Gallup become a #1?
3) Broncos Cortland Sutton coming back from knee like OBJ. Only 25. Maybe a pick and Harry.
4) Cooper Kupp. Bill would have to have brass ones but it could be done. The Rams do not pick until $57 of the second round (6 picks total). They had to redo about 10 contracts to get under the CAP. They have about $10mm but need about $3.5 from the Draft., They redid Kupp so his dead money is atrocious.. You would probably have to give them a second #46, Harry and a lower pick. Is he a real #1 though?

I don't think the Pats are looking for a true #1 WR. Another WR yes ......but...... I think this 2 TE set will be the place our top WR comes from. I am thinking at the end of the year and all are healthy, Smith is our #1 receiver at TE.

Would I do the OBJ trade? In a minute. Why? You still have to game plan for him. It's tough to leave a CB on an island with him. I shake my head at the negative OBJ crowd and remember that fact. Bill loves it when a Pats player draws special attention. It frees someone else up.

I would propose a "blockbuster" with the Cardinals (we do business with them) and get a top WR and a QB in Round 1.

Follow along>
The Cards are sniffling at WR Harry. New guy Green is injury prone. Harry is an AZ local product.
They just lost their best CB Peterson. We happen to have a guy.
The Cardinals own pick #16 in Round 1. That equates to 1,000 Draft Value trade points
The Cards only have 5 picks in this 2021 Draft and 3 are Round #5 and after picks .......Yech!
Let's put a 2nd Round value on Gilmore or say 430 Draft Trade points
Let's put a late 3rd Round pick on Harry or say 130 Draft Trade points
That equates to 440 points as a balance from the 1,000 point value (our second pick value at #46 is exactly.......440)
So would our second Round pick #46=440 points, plus Harry and Gilmore entice the Cardinals to give us 1st Round pick #16?

How would QB Mac Jones and WR Rashod Bateman sound? Bateman: "He may not be uber-athletic like other wide receivers in this class, but very few can match him when it comes to getting open. Bateman has produced a top-10 rate of separation over the last two seasons and ranks first among Power 5 receivers in yards per route run (3.74) when lined up on the outside. The Minnesota product has an NFL-ready release package, is excellent in contested scenarios and offers value after the catch". The kid sounds like he could become a #1 guy.........Fitzgerald type?

An option for the Cards would be multiple picks. Swap 2nd Rounders (#46 to #49)and give pick #97 in the 3rd Round plus all of our 3 4th Rounders., #120,#122 and #139. They have to go a little huskier on the values of Harry and Gilmore.
It still gives us 7 total picks. #15,#16,#49, #177, #188,#197,#237

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Report: Patriots 'Still Sniffing' Around On Jimmy Garoppolo Trade, Not Committed To Cam Newton

Russini added: “Bill [Belichick] doesn’t like to put his cards out on the table, so most [people] think, ‘Oh well if we all know about that, that probably won’t happen.’ But there is definitely a tone in the league that it could still go down.”

Just for reference on this, there were a ton of rumors about the Pats trading for Brandin Cooks before it happened because of the leaks from the other side. So I wouldn’t use the above as the sole basis that this isn’t true, although of course it’s certainly possible it isn’t true.

1) OBJ can be had with the right package. Most here think he is radioactive. He's only 28. I would do a package of perhaps Harry and a 4th rounder (we have 3). The Brown still need a WR to compliment Landry and the resigned Higgins.
2) Rumored "definite maybe" of the Cowboys Michael Gallup for Gilmore. Could Gallup become a #1?
3) Broncos Cortland Sutton coming back from knee like OBJ. Only 25. Maybe a pick and Harry.
4) Cooper Kupp. Bill would have to have brass ones but it could be done. The Rams do not pick until $57 of the second round (6 picks total). They had to redo about 10 contracts to get under the CAP. They have about $10mm but need about $3.5 from the Draft., They redid Kupp so his dead money is atrocious.. You would probably have to give them a second #46, Harry and a lower pick. Is he a real #1 though?

I don't think the Pats are looking for a true #1 WR. Another WR yes ......but...... I think this 2 TE set will be the place our top WR comes from. I am thinking at the end of the year and all are healthy, Smith is our #1 receiver at TE.

Would I do the OBJ trade? In a minute. Why? You still have to game plan for him. It's tough to leave a CB on an island with him. I shake my head at the negative OBJ crowd and remember that fact. Bill loves it when a Pats player draws special attention. It frees someone else up.

I would propose a "blockbuster" with the Cardinals (we do business with them) and get a top WR and a QB in Round 1.

Follow along>
The Cards are sniffling at WR Harry. New guy Green is injury prone. Harry is an AZ local product.
The Cardinals own pick #16 in Round 1. That equates to 1,000 Draft Value trade points
The Cards only have 5 picks in this 2021 Draft and 3 are Round #5 and after picks .......Yech!
That equates to 440 points as a balance from the 1,000 point value (our second pick value at #46 is exactly.......440)
So would our second Round pick #46=440 points, plus Harry and Gilmore entice the Cardinals to give us 1st Round pick #16?

How would QB Mac Jones and WR Rashod Bateman sound? Bateman: "He may not be uber-athletic like other wide receivers in this class, but very few can match him when it comes to getting open. Bateman has produced a top-10 rate of separation over the last two seasons and ranks first among Power 5 receivers in yards per route run (3.74) when lined up on the outside. The Minnesota product has an NFL-ready release package, is excellent in contested scenarios and offers value after the catch". The kid sounds like he could become a #1 guy.........Fitzgerald type?

An option for the Cards would be multiple picks. Swap 2nd Rounders (#46 to #49)and give pick #97 in the 3rd Round plus all of our 3 4th Rounders., #120,#122 and #139. They have to go a little huskier on the values of Harry and Gilmore.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

not for nothing, but hasn't Bill indicated he tends to favor/use the Rich Hill Draft Value chart?

Follow along>

With our roster now, I wouldn't be in favor of trading Gimore unless it got us a QB. Definitely not for a wr. We are a better defense/team with him and with all the moves we've made, we're ready to win now.

Report: Patriots 'Still Sniffing' Around On Jimmy Garoppolo Trade, Not Committed To Cam Newton

Just for reference on this, there were a ton of rumors about the Pats trading for Brandin Cooks before it happened because of the leaks from the other side. So I wouldn’t use the above as the sole basis that this isn’t true, although of course it’s certainly possible it isn’t true.
These Jimmy G rumors won't die down until November 4th.

Our own @ChrisR2223 is probably somehow secretly starting them. Lmao

Thoughts?
DW Toys
1. The Pats would have to do a lot of work to fit in his contract now (and trading Harry costs us MORE against the cap).
2. That was some guy on twitter throwing crap against the wall, from all I can tell. I wouldn't trade Gilmore other than for a QB or a high pick that gets us a QB.
3. Meh. We'd lose about $3 million in Cap space.
4. The Rams LOVE Cupp. Can't see it.

I noticed that TY Hilton just got like $8 million for one year. Pats ain't playing with that kind of money. Maybe they go get Adam Humphries, or maybe the Amendola rumors are true, but don't see anything bigger than a re-sign of Byrd.

In the draft? Rondale Moore would be very nice.

The Patriots re-signed James White this week and they’ve now secured a deal with another member of their backfield.

While White’s return wasn’t a sure thing, fullback Jakob Johnson‘s return was all but certain. The team tendered him as an exclusive rights free agent, which means he couldn’t negotiate with other clubs and made agent Drew Rosenhaus’ announcement that he signed his tender no surprise...

Patriots re-sign Jakob Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back